Author Topic: The mysterious knock that got through the MOT last year  (Read 6216 times)

aerojon

• Turbo
  • Number of thanks: 27
    • View Profile
Re: The mysterious knock that got through the MOT last year
« Reply #15 on: 17 August 2019, 04:00:05 PM »
which on the later ones were capped off..

smurkenstein

• Vector
  • Number of thanks: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 18 August 2019, 09:39:18 AM »
A 56 should not have the pipe - I think you need to have a look where it goes in your car - I "believe" the pipe was originally fitted to a pump situated near the front bumper (sorry, I don't have a diagram and my memory is a bit shaky as it was so long ago) - the pump was there to push air into the system when the car was cold to help keep the exhaust gasses clean - its thought that the SAI system was included to conform to Euro emission rules that never came in, hence it was removed from cars after 2004 (cost cutting).

You could also have a look for the check-valve which is a silver disk top of the engine, middle right. If I am right, your car wont have this (perhaps others could confirm). Its worth knowing because the check valve can go wrong resulting in an expensive repair and its not too difficult to maintain/replace.

People used to do all sorts of daft things to their air boxes to try to improve performance, but the saab air box and filter was actually pretty good. You can see that the screws on yours are wrong - they should be black/hex, not shiny. It might be that your looking at a bad replacement and the hose goes nowhere - it will be interesting to find out.

carrera

• SaabTechTalk-Team
  • Test pilot
  • Number of thanks: 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 18 August 2019, 09:45:52 AM »
With the better pictures now uploaded I would simply remove the airbox and ducting for inspection, determine how it should be secured in place and reassemble.

I did look at EPC/WIS to see how it should be fixed in place but did not see anything of help.

My assumption is that the airbox does not simply sit there, held only by the ducting and gravity
9-5 Aero Estates, 2002 Cosmic Blue, 2003 Steel Grey, 2003 Graphite Green, 2004 9-5 Glacier Blue 2.0 saloon, 2004 Nocturne Blue 2.2 diesel estate, 2006 & 2008 Black Aero saloons, 1998 9000 CSE with Aero engine, 9-5 NG Aero XWD Turbo4, 9-5 NG Aero XWD TTiD

aerojon

• Turbo
  • Number of thanks: 27
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 18 August 2019, 04:40:41 PM »
the pipe going through the inner wing is meant to be there it's the cold air feed for the box,the sai system was only fitted to the MY03 B207 engine and the V6..

be thankful they took the sai system off as it use to fill up with water from the combustion process and if not drained every so often,the pump would seize triggering the eml..

Steve McF

• Viggen
  • Number of thanks: 10
  • 9-5 2.0LPT.....as was, and now 9-3ss 2.0T Aero :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 14 September 2019, 08:14:59 PM »
Well today, a new (2nd hand) air filter box arrived complete with the fixing that was snapped off the one fitted to my car.

Excitedly, I fiitted it tonight, and cleaned the MAF sensor whilst I was at it. Made sure the inlet air pipe was connected to the underside of the box (it wasn't in the old box).

Initial impressions were good. The start up knock has gone. We took the car for a drive, and going over speed ramps seemed better. But the more I went over, the knock from.the drivers side still seemed to be there :(

So what would be the next thing to look at? Droplinks? Anti roll bar bushes?
« Last Edit: 16 September 2019, 09:08:51 AM by Steve McF »

Steve McF

• Viggen
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 30 September 2019, 01:11:24 PM »
Yep, having lived with the car for a couple of weeks now, the suspension knock over speedramps is definitely there. The car passed the MOT in August again, and there were no suspension related advisories.

I am thinking:
anti roll bar bushes
drop links
engine mounts (including any mounts to the subframe)

Surely the first two of these would have shown up on the MOT?

If it is engine mount/tiebars, does anyone have any visuals or part number for these, and/or experienced fixing such an issue by replacing one of these?

sgould

• Aerobic
  • SST paid up supporter
  • Overboost
  • Number of thanks: 345
  • 2006 9-5 Aero estate - Hirsched.
    • View Profile
    • Christine Bennett - soprano
« Reply #21 on: 30 September 2019, 06:32:28 PM »
If the drop links haven't been changed.  that would be my first port of call.  Replace with Meyle heavy duty.  I got mine from www.partsforsaabs.com
Help support SaabTechTalk by making a Lump Sum donation or by opening a subscription. 
Options available are in your Profile/Actions.

carrera

• SaabTechTalk-Team
  • Test pilot
  • Number of thanks: 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 30 September 2019, 10:55:03 PM »
I just fired up EPC.

From my reading the 2003-2005MY had one design, MY2006 on the other.You need to check the chassis number to see what model year your car is.
9-5 Aero Estates, 2002 Cosmic Blue, 2003 Steel Grey, 2003 Graphite Green, 2004 9-5 Glacier Blue 2.0 saloon, 2004 Nocturne Blue 2.2 diesel estate, 2006 & 2008 Black Aero saloons, 1998 9000 CSE with Aero engine, 9-5 NG Aero XWD Turbo4, 9-5 NG Aero XWD TTiD

mikeloadsasaabs

• Aero
  • Number of thanks: 23
  • Was 9-5 Aero auto estate with Maptun Stage 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 01 October 2019, 09:20:15 AM »
Yep, having lived with the car for a couple of weeks now, the suspension knock over speedramps is definitely there. The car passed the MOT in August again, and there were no suspension related advisories.

I am thinking:
anti roll bar bushes
drop links
engine mounts (including any mounts to the subframe)

Surely the first two of these would have shown up on the MOT?

If it is engine mount/tiebars, does anyone have any visuals or part number for these, and/or experienced fixing such an issue by replacing one of these?

Haven't posted here for a long time ;D

One of the last repairs we had done to our old 9-5 estate before we realised it was becoming a money pit was to have the subframe bushes replaced at the rear of the front subframe, which cost us €750. The car had a clonk over bumps, not really heard, but felt literally underfoot,  which is how I knew it wasn't suspension. I don't know how similar the 9-3 and 9-5 are in this respect, but just a thought in trying to narrow it down.

Steve McF

• Viggen
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 10 October 2019, 05:00:06 PM »
Will, can't find the Meyle droplinks you mention, unless you mean these?:

https://www.partsforsaabs.com/product_info.php?products_id=5325&osCsid=e46882f767ac652dd06aaa0ffa037590

sgould

• Aerobic
  • SST paid up supporter
  • Overboost
  • Number of thanks: 345
  • 2006 9-5 Aero estate - Hirsched.
    • View Profile
    • Christine Bennett - soprano
« Reply #25 on: 10 October 2019, 05:07:15 PM »
Those are the ones.

I fitted some to my 9-5 and they are still OK after 4 years.
Help support SaabTechTalk by making a Lump Sum donation or by opening a subscription. 
Options available are in your Profile/Actions.