Author Topic: 9-5 alarm unit repair  (Read 12303 times)

dave225

• Airflow
  • Number of thanks: 0
    • View Profile
Re: 9-5 alarm unit repair
« Reply #15 on: 11 January 2015, 09:07:24 PM »
I've just done the night panel button test to switch to "doors only" and I still get the message. This means the tilt sensor and glass sensors are not the culprits? and the siren unit is looking guilty?

Audax

• SaabTechTalk Team
  • Wide open throttle
  • Number of thanks: 207
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 11 January 2015, 09:19:31 PM »
I've just done the night panel button test to switch to "doors only" and I still get the message. This means the tilt sensor and glass sensors are not the culprits? and the siren unit is looking guilty?

That test will only help if the alarm is going off randomly. If the alarm is going off randomly it's usually either the tilt sensor or the siren batteries. If you disable the tilt sensor with the night panel button and the alarm no longer goes off it's a good guess that it was the tilt sensor, if not it's probably alarm batteries.

HeRmAN

• Saabisti
  • Number of thanks: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 21 January 2015, 10:24:58 PM »
Can anyone confirm if I take the siren unit off, to replace the batteries etc, is the car still driveable?

Also, can you get the CR2 batteries with the correct solder tabs anywhere else than the folk on ebay charging £20?
I dare say you could wire tab-less ones up somehow - has anyone done that? They only £1.50 each elsewhere.

The batteries shall be CR17355  (NOT CR17355SE) and they can be found on ebay

And usually when replacing the batteries it's a good idea to the replace the electrolyte caps since they dry over time.
1pc 220uF 10V, 1pc 330uF 25V, 1pc 10uF 16V and also check the soldering points for cracks, especially the larger points, re-solder if needed.
From 2001 the units is glued instead of screws so it needs to be gently cut i two halves.

fka

• Super Aero
  • Number of thanks: 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 06 January 2019, 10:07:40 PM »
Sorry to resurrect such an old thread but I've had two instances of SID showing "theft protection failure - contact service" whilst driving. About a week prior to this, SID has shown and continues to show the message stating my key battery needs to be replaced. I've no issue with the alarm going off randomly or any other issues with the theft system. And so far I've only seen the message when driving with the key with the flat battery.

From fishing around for more info on WIS, I see that the siren unit wasn't used on and after chassis number 43013162 and the horn was used instead. Assuming that's the last 8 digits of my VIN, my chassis number starts 635***** so I presume I can rule out the "theft protection failure - contact service" message relating to the battery/ capacitor issue in the siren unit? But obviously could still relate to the tilt or glass break sensors.

I've just ordered a set of new batteries for both keys but could the message also be triggered by using a key with a duff battery?

Cheers

sgould

• Aerobic
  • SST paid up supporter
  • Overboost
  • Number of thanks: 345
  • 2006 9-5 Aero estate - Hirsched.
    • View Profile
    • Christine Bennett - soprano
« Reply #19 on: 06 January 2019, 11:13:35 PM »
You should see a "Replace Key Battery" message, although I believe that the message is triggered by time and number of uses, not by the actual state of the fob battery.

The tilt sensor is under the driver's seat.  The glass break sensor is in the rear roof light.
Help support SaabTechTalk by making a Lump Sum donation or by opening a subscription. 
Options available are in your Profile/Actions.

fka

• Super Aero
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 06 January 2019, 11:39:30 PM »
Sorry I probably wasn't clear, I have (about a week prior to seeing the theft failure message) been seeing the "Replace Key Battery" message each time I start up, and duly clear and ignore it  ::)
Just seems a bit of a coincidence that I've started to see the theft failure message after ignoring the key battery message. And I've only seen the theft failure message with the key that triggers the "Replace Key Battery" message.

fka

• Super Aero
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 19 February 2019, 11:35:27 PM »
Not wanting to tempt fate but since replacing the key battery over a month and a half ago, I've not seem the "theft protection failure - contact service" message..