Author Topic: Engine warning light, but no error messages  (Read 11391 times)

OptimusPrime

• Saabisti
  • Number of thanks: 0
    • View Profile
Engine warning light, but no error messages
« on: 23 September 2011, 09:02:56 PM »
Hi, 2003, 2.0t Vector, 59,000 or so miles has just started to display an engine warning light has come up on the dash, however there is no error message and the start up checks come back 'OK'. There is no appreciable difference in performance and I have put the fuel cap on and off a few times (as I understand that may have caused it).  Apart from the 'usual' rattles and strange noises, it is a Saab after all, nothing else I can think of to mention.

Can anyone suggest an explanation for this. Especially if it is an easy check / fix :) Thanks in advance. Optimus

chris aka zaphod

• LPT
  • Number of thanks: 12
  • GWS, Bristol
    • View Profile
    • Great Western Saabs
Re: Engine warning light, but no error messages
« Reply #1 on: 23 September 2011, 09:32:02 PM »
Fuel cap would apply to North American market.
Do you linger with the key when you start, or go straight from off to start in a split second?

Saabman

• SaabTechTalk Team
  • LPT
  • Number of thanks: 20
  • 9-3 Aero
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 23 September 2011, 09:37:28 PM »
Engine warning light will more than likely be an emission fault of some kind, best to get the codes read and see what it is, simple fix is to try and disconnect battery and see if it clears but if there is a fault you run the risk of damaging the catalytic converter while the light is off but the fault is still present until the light re-appears  :)

OptimusPrime

• Saabisti
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 23 September 2011, 10:58:30 PM »
Thanks. I suppose I'm more of a 'lingerer' when I've put the key in. The garage can't view it until next Wednesday :0( They said as there was no error message that it wasnot likely to be a 'major' fault. On that basis it would be ok to carry on driving. Will more damage be caused if I've disconnected the batterie and drive with the light off than if I carry on driving with the light on. Does the light on engage some other protective mechanism?

chris aka zaphod

• LPT
  • Number of thanks: 12
  • GWS, Bristol
    • View Profile
    • Great Western Saabs
« Reply #4 on: 23 September 2011, 11:43:51 PM »
Only reason I mention lingering is that if I do that, on our Aero, I get a CEL, but if I don't, then I don't.
No codes apparent.

smurkenstein

• Vector
  • Number of thanks: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 24 September 2011, 06:59:26 AM »
Does the 2.0t 2003 have an SAI pump? I can't remember the symptoms, but its a possibility.

You could tell by looking at the air intake box top left engine bay - if there is a pipe running into the front (about 2 inches in diameter - and therefore it has the SAI system), it might be worth checking the check valve for soot (soot means there could be water in the SAI pump)- its worth doing this even if it isn't the source of the cel.

OptimusPrime

• Saabisti
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 25 September 2011, 11:39:54 PM »
Does the 2.0t 2003 have an SAI pump? I can't remember the symptoms, but its a possibility.

You could tell by looking at the air intake box top left engine bay - if there is a pipe running into the front (about 2 inches in diameter - and therefore it has the SAI system), it might be worth checking the check valve for soot (soot means there could be water in the SAI pump)- its worth doing this even if it isn't the source of the cel.

Sorry to take so long. Yes there is a pipe coming out of the front of the air box. You will have to pardon my ignorance but what is an SIA pump and how does soot and water get in there?

smurkenstein

• Vector
  • Number of thanks: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 27 September 2011, 06:12:40 AM »
Hi Optimus
Its hard to explain but the check valve sits on top of the engine and feeds the SAI pump - it can get sooted up and then it fails and then water finds its way into the SAI pump (underneath the engine) - from memory the check valve is a round metal disk, three inches in diameter -there are several pipes entering it, one of which can be disconnected and if you put your finger into the valve you can check for soot (in which case you have a problem).

If you go to saabcentral, there is a thread on there with pictures - I think it might be in the 93 sticky section.