Author Topic: Xenon headlights - Cleaning and replacing lamps  (Read 6843 times)

fka

• Super Aero
  • Number of thanks: 7
    • View Profile
Xenon headlights - Cleaning and replacing lamps
« on: 08 December 2018, 03:14:59 PM »
Been meaning to do this for some time. There's always been a lot of dust inside the clear plastic headlight lens cover and both projector lenses were a little cloudy. The nearside xenon bulb had started to flicker and they've both always been a bit pee poor anyway, possibly due to the cloudy projectors but they also seem a tad too blue for my liking despite both bulbs being Philips XenStart and apparently 4300k. Also discovered two odd lamps, one's obviously been changed at some point.... So I ordered a pair of Osram laser xenarc, that are incidently still on offer here https://www.autobulbsdirect.co.uk/d1s-osram-night-breaker-laser-xenarc-next-generation.html
The laser xenarcs seem to get very good reviews and are noted to have a noticeably warmer light than the comparable Philips, so I'm hoping this alone will make night vision a lot better.

I've removed the headlights, stripped them down and washed round with a 50/50 mix of distilled vinegar and distilled water, then rinsed twice with distilled water. The vinegar/ water mix almost instantly cleared whatever muck was fogging the projectors. I'm just letting them dry-out over night before I reassemble with the new lamps but they're looking a lot clearer already.

Will report back once I've fired them up..

« Last Edit: 08 December 2018, 05:16:42 PM by fka »

fka

• Super Aero
    • View Profile
Re: Xenon headlights - Cleaning and replacing lamps
« Reply #1 on: 08 December 2018, 10:16:58 PM »
Got the headlights back on tonight and the Osram bulbs are a vast improvement and noticeably warmer. The projector lenses are also noticeably crisper/ no longer diffused by filth. However what I presumed was dust on the lens covers is actually what looks like micro crazing. It could be pitting on the outside from bugs, dust, stones etc ..  but it appears to run deeper in the plastic so I think it is crazing of the plastic.
Has anyone else seen this?

wrighar

• SaabTechTalk Team
  • High Output Turbo
  • Number of thanks: 15
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 08 December 2018, 11:56:53 PM »
Both the wifes headlights have crazed.

fka

• Super Aero
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 09 December 2018, 12:38:45 AM »
Good to know mate, thanks.
I guess I'll just have to live with them like that..

carrera

• SaabTechTalk-Team
  • Test pilot
  • Number of thanks: 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 09 December 2018, 08:56:43 AM »
I have a routine for cleaning the cloudy outer lenses, consisting of wet'n dry, t-cut and polish. I assume you have done something similar already ?
9-5 Aero Estates, 2002 Cosmic Blue, 2003 Steel Grey, 2003 Graphite Green, 2004 9-5 Glacier Blue 2.0 saloon, 2004 Nocturne Blue 2.2 diesel estate, 2006 & 2008 Black Aero saloons, 1998 9000 CSE with Aero engine, 9-5 NG Aero XWD Turbo4, 9-5 NG Aero XWD TTiD

fka

• Super Aero
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 09 December 2018, 02:14:22 PM »
Well this is the thing, they're not actually cloudy! They're basically clear but have micro cracks running through them, which you can only see when the lights are on and it looks like a sprinkling of dust as the light is refracted by the cracks. As the cracks appear to run the depth of the plastic, I don't think any amount of polishing is going to make a difference. It's a replace or live with it job I think...

carrera

• SaabTechTalk-Team
  • Test pilot
  • Number of thanks: 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 09 December 2018, 07:53:07 PM »
Ah, yes, I think I know what you mean now.

I took a decision not to look at my headlights from outside the car unless it is to check prior to an MOT.  :)
9-5 Aero Estates, 2002 Cosmic Blue, 2003 Steel Grey, 2003 Graphite Green, 2004 9-5 Glacier Blue 2.0 saloon, 2004 Nocturne Blue 2.2 diesel estate, 2006 & 2008 Black Aero saloons, 1998 9000 CSE with Aero engine, 9-5 NG Aero XWD Turbo4, 9-5 NG Aero XWD TTiD

fka

• Super Aero
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 09 December 2018, 09:33:55 PM »
It was more an exercise in trying to get the best out of the lights, although I'd be lying if I said the aesthetic aspect didn't bother me  ;D

Max Headroom

• SaabTechTalk Team
  • Viggen
  • Number of thanks: 62
  • 2006 93 TiD Convertible. Cotswolds, England
    • View Profile
    • Combat Stress
« Reply #8 on: 10 December 2018, 10:41:03 PM »

Take a look in Halfrauds - there are light lens polishing kits by Meguiars and Autoglym that consist of acrylic polish and suitable Micromesh type polishing papers.
Meguiars kit
Autoglym kit

In the past I have very successfully used These kits for aircraft canopies but although fantastic they are expensive.

You could try just T-cut or even Brasso instead of proper Acrylic polish such as Greygates, but if the lens surface  feels rough you will need the micromesh abrasives, starting with the most coarse, rubbing down with the acrylic polish supplied until you are using the smoothest, then follow up using just the acrylic polish and a microfibre cloth

GeoffW

• Linear
  • Number of thanks: 2
  • Sadly now Saabless, what next?
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 11 December 2018, 10:31:02 AM »
3M do a nifty little kit containing velcro backed abrasive pads, polishing pad, liquid polishing paste, a rotary drill attachment for the pads and even duct tape. Apparently, 3M noticed that everyone was using their products to make kits up so did their own.

I got mine on that river sounding web site for around £20.

Did a good job on my clouded '02 9-5 Aero lights. Whole job only took about 30 - 40 minutes which included removing and replacing the lights on the car.

fka

• Super Aero
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 11 December 2018, 10:31:50 AM »
Appreciate the links  :D
I'm just dubious that that will help me, take a look at the pics attached. Close up, what look like dust from afar, looks more like tiny cracks. Now is that just the lacquer coat starting to break up and eventually they will look milky? Or has the plastic actually fractured?

Cheers
D

Audax

• SaabTechTalk Team
  • Wide open throttle
  • Number of thanks: 207
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 11 December 2018, 10:33:29 AM »
I've also used the 3M kit on some very nasty looking headlights, search for 3M 39073 and you will find it, I'm certain it will make those look better however you may want to remove them from the car before starting.

fka

• Super Aero
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 11 December 2018, 11:39:31 AM »
Ok cool I'll give it a shot!
Thanks

phoenix

• SaabTechTalk-Team
  • Test pilot
  • Number of thanks: 108
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 12 December 2018, 12:53:41 PM »
I successfully used the Meguairs kit on my last 9-5 (pre Edna). Took a while but very effective.

I think the pics look like surface pitting- mine are looking a little similar.

sgould

• Aerobic
  • SST paid up supporter
  • Overboost
  • Number of thanks: 345
  • 2006 9-5 Aero estate - Hirsched.
    • View Profile
    • Christine Bennett - soprano
« Reply #14 on: 12 December 2018, 04:07:07 PM »
Mine also look similar.  I think it's stone damage.  They haven't gone cloudy like the ones on the 9-3 we had.  That seemed to go cloudy across the surface.  I rubbed it down with wet and dry, followed by rubbing compound and then polish. 

This is the 9-3 before and after.  The "before" doesn't look anything like the 9-5 issue.

Help support SaabTechTalk by making a Lump Sum donation or by opening a subscription. 
Options available are in your Profile/Actions.