Author Topic: STRANGE INTERIOR LIGHT BEHAVIOUR  (Read 5976 times)

collywobble

• High Output Turbo
  • Number of thanks: 16
  • 2.2 TiD Linear Estate
    • View Profile
    • Colin Brown Environmental Ltd.
STRANGE INTERIOR LIGHT BEHAVIOUR
« on: 07 November 2018, 06:31:14 PM »
Recently replaced the tailgate lock mechanism due to having damaged the micro switch trying to un-jam the lock.  When I replaced the leads to the tailgate corner lights I fitted them incorrectly and the rear roof light and tailgate lights came on when I turned off the ignition and also the tailgate lock would lock and unlock itself immediately.  Have now got the tailgate light leads fitted correctly and everything has been fine for a couple of weeks but on going out tonight to the village shop in the pouring rain the rear roof light, tailgate lights, dashboard door/tailgate open light and tailgate lock are working intermittently. On getting back home I pressed the tailgate unlocking button on the door and the interior lights went out. On locking the car they came on again and it took a couple of attempts to lock the car with the rear interior light and tailgate lights out.  Any ideas?
« Last Edit: 12 November 2018, 08:49:28 PM by collywobble »

carrera

• SaabTechTalk-Team
  • Test pilot
  • Number of thanks: 17
    • View Profile
Re: STRANGE INTERIOR LIGH BEHAVIOUR
« Reply #1 on: 08 November 2018, 06:35:26 PM »
Hah, someone else with electrical gremlins. ;)

I'm not sure the polarity of the tailgate corner lights makes any difference.

I think you need to be looking at the tailgate lock mechanism again, including the microswitch. After fixing the mechanical operation of the tailgate lock on my green car the lights stayed on, so I haven't got to the point of examining the microswitch on that car.

I have had a problem on the blue one where the boot will not open without using the key. Similar action to yours I think. Press the release button and there are two actions of the solenoid. I have watched what happens with the back cover removed and  if the actuating pin does not move across smoothly to the position where the handle will operate the latch the solenoid activates a second time and engages the lock again. In my case the car will be fine for weeks, but if I have a load in the back that can contact the trim panel it seems to cause the problem to recur.

Hope that helps.
9-5 Aero Estates, 2002 Cosmic Blue, 2003 Steel Grey, 2003 Graphite Green, 2004 9-5 Glacier Blue 2.0 saloon, 2004 Nocturne Blue 2.2 diesel estate, 2006 & 2008 Black Aero saloons, 1998 9000 CSE with Aero engine, 9-5 NG Aero XWD Turbo4, 9-5 NG Aero XWD TTiD

collywobble

• High Output Turbo
  • 2.2 TiD Linear Estate
    • View Profile
Re: STRANGE INTERIOR LIGHT BEHAVIOUR
« Reply #2 on: 09 November 2018, 07:03:37 AM »
Thanks for the reply Carrera.  The polarity of the tailgate lights may matter as I must have replaced the wires incorrectly so when I re-fitted them as per the illustration in the handbook that made everything work correctly.

I will try some lubrication on the tailgate lock as it was a second hand one and had sat in my workshop for a year before I got around to fitting it.
« Last Edit: 12 November 2018, 08:49:49 PM by collywobble »

collywobble

• High Output Turbo
  • 2.2 TiD Linear Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 09 November 2018, 05:32:28 PM »
Before going out this morning I gave the latch a squirt of dry PTFE lubricant and touch wood it has been OK all day.

Any experts on leaking conservatories on here?
« Last Edit: 12 November 2018, 08:50:00 PM by collywobble »

sgould

• Aerobic
  • SST paid up supporter
  • Overboost
  • Number of thanks: 345
  • 2006 9-5 Aero estate - Hirsched.
    • View Profile
    • Christine Bennett - soprano
« Reply #4 on: 09 November 2018, 11:37:27 PM »
Norfolk Jim is a conservatory man.
Help support SaabTechTalk by making a Lump Sum donation or by opening a subscription. 
Options available are in your Profile/Actions.

phoenix

• SaabTechTalk-Team
  • Test pilot
  • Number of thanks: 108
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 10 November 2018, 10:25:52 AM »
Sounds like you may have got some wires awry in the lock mechanism- three's a signal goes to DICE to tell it to turn on the interior lights when the boot/doors are unlocked. Check there first- that's the bit you've altered.

collywobble

• High Output Turbo
  • 2.2 TiD Linear Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 10 November 2018, 07:42:13 PM »
Went out and did about 40 miles yesterday with no problems - went to our local Tesco this morning and no problems - after lunch went to daughters ( a 9 mile drive away) and as soon as we started off the problems started again - random locking/unlocking of tailgate together with instrument panel light showing tailgate unlocked and rear roof light coming on at same time - time varying from a minute or so and just the lights coming on for a split second. same behaviour when we left to come home but after a couple of minutes it had settled down and we got home without any more lights/tailgate locking and unlocking!  The connector to the lock can only fit one way so what might be the problem with the wiring?  All I did was remove the old lock mechanism and fit a new one.........
« Last Edit: 15 November 2018, 04:42:44 PM by collywobble »

phoenix

• SaabTechTalk-Team
  • Test pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 12 November 2018, 08:37:45 AM »
Ah, sorry, I thought you'd re-wired it. Does yours have the key opening ability under a flap? If so try disconnecting the lock and seeing if the problem still occurs

collywobble

• High Output Turbo
  • 2.2 TiD Linear Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 12 November 2018, 09:00:12 PM »
It's a 2003MY and doesn't have the hidden lock in the tailgate.  I have ordered a new striker for the latch as a long shot in case the plastic covering on the old one is worn enough to allow a short from the latch.

The fact that it's an intermittent fault makes me think it some sort of electrical problem - unfortunately I am not very good with automotive electrics - only happy to work on house wiring or package sewage treatment plants!

carrera

• SaabTechTalk-Team
  • Test pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 13 November 2018, 08:45:41 AM »
I don't There's no electrical circuit through the latch / striker plate.

I would remove and leave off the tailgate trim, just for ease of access. Then disconnect the microswitch connections. I think that will mean the car will see the tailgate is "open" and the lights will stay permanently on until timed out. Remove the connections to the bulbs and the lights won't illuminate. I think you should get a tailgate open message on SID

That's really just for diagnosis purposes, but you should find that the behaviour of the car is consistent. Someone has done that on my green car, I have not fixed it yet

Next, take another look at the microswitch. Is it in good condition, terminals secure, is it fixed firmly to the mechanism, is there a firm click when it is moved?

I think that's where your problem is, and agree the intermittent nature makes it look like a poor electrical connection. It's more complex than on an older car because the power to the lights is controlled by TWICE and DICE

When I look at my green one I might be able to help more  ;)

9-5 Aero Estates, 2002 Cosmic Blue, 2003 Steel Grey, 2003 Graphite Green, 2004 9-5 Glacier Blue 2.0 saloon, 2004 Nocturne Blue 2.2 diesel estate, 2006 & 2008 Black Aero saloons, 1998 9000 CSE with Aero engine, 9-5 NG Aero XWD Turbo4, 9-5 NG Aero XWD TTiD

phoenix

• SaabTechTalk-Team
  • Test pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 13 November 2018, 09:03:29 AM »
There's two microswitches in the tailgate lock:

56 Switch, luggage compartment lighting, in the tailgate lock
184H Motor, central locking system, tailgate in tailgate
388 Switch, tailgate in the driver's door
540 Main instrument unit, in dashboard in front of driver
594 Relay, motor, tailgate on main relay board in dashboard
622 Microswitch, tailgate lock in the tailgate lock
632 Control module, TWICE under left-hand seat

8-pin connectors
H8-1 Black connector by LH tailgate hinge
H8-2 Grey connector by LH tailgate hinge

collywobble

• High Output Turbo
  • 2.2 TiD Linear Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 13 November 2018, 12:17:19 PM »
Opened car this morning to get squeegee out to wipe water off windows for SWMBO to get to work and she asked me to put a couple of bags in the boot - lights came on, shut boot and they didn't go off!   So to avoid the battery going flat I took all three lights out of the car. 

Phoenix - that wiring diagram looks nothing like the one I downloaded from WIS!

carrera

• SaabTechTalk-Team
  • Test pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 13 November 2018, 12:53:09 PM »
That wiring diagram is from the Body - tailgate part of WIS, rather than the Electrical - Luggage compartment lighting section, which is perhaps simpler to understand

collywobble

• High Output Turbo
  • 2.2 TiD Linear Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 17 November 2018, 11:21:37 AM »
Tried a little experiment yesterday - opened car and tailgate up and pushed latch hook shut.  Would not release using either the button on the key of the button on the driver's door.  the only way I could get the latch hook to go to open was to use the manual handle above the number plate and press the button on the key fob at the same time.

This leads me to think that the microswitch in the replacement lock I bought was faulty in the first place.

carrera

• SaabTechTalk-Team
  • Test pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 17 November 2018, 12:21:30 PM »
That sounds like what sometimes happens with my blue one.

My current theory is that the lever/pin that moves across make contact somewhere, and like an electric window it goes back again.

Occasionally the method you described can work, but in my case I now just remove the plastic cover and put the key in the lock.

Lousy description, I can maybe do a picture when I look at mine. In other words I don't think that problem is the microswitch

It's a good idea to remove the trim, that way you can manually open from the inside, as I understand from what was posted above there is no key on later cars (I didn't know that)