Author Topic: 9-5 2.2 Fault TiD Fault Codes  (Read 11533 times)

collywobble

• High Output Turbo
  • Number of thanks: 16
  • 2.2 TiD Linear Estate
    • View Profile
    • Colin Brown Environmental Ltd.
Re: 9-5 2.2 Fault TiD Fault Codes
« Reply #15 on: 17 September 2018, 01:48:03 PM »
Well, started the car up on Sunday morning but didn't drive anywhere - EML still on.  This morning start her up and EML goes out, take SWMBO shopping and the EML light has stayed off! Last time it happened it was the CPS that was the problem.  I have cleaned the EGR once since I have owned the car and never use supermarket fuel but use BP standard diesel with a bottle of Forte Diesel additive every service. The car has gone much better on Shell V-power and fuel consumption for 900 miles of driving was 47.42 mpg.  Not bad for an old diesel with 186k on the clock - and she only used 100ml of oil over our holiday. Now all I have to do is sort out the tailgate/ luggage compartment lighting which has been playing up ever since I replaced the tailgate lock - how does the microswitch work - does it have mercury in it?

Thanks for your words of wisdom Will...

Audax

• SaabTechTalk Team
  • Wide open throttle
  • Number of thanks: 207
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 17 September 2018, 06:50:31 PM »
An awful road, single carriageway most of the way with the only overtaking being a few 2 lane sections, usually uphill. Having followed a caravan most of the way with an idiot in a Mondeo on my tail I got to one on the overtaking sections and pulled out to pass the caravan with Mondeo man still on my tail, so put the right boot in and the car lost power and the EML light came on, so slowed down to let Mondeo man overtake me and the car regained power and the rest of the journey home was fine, with the car driving as normal BUT with the EML light still on. Now the only time I have experienced this before was in a petrol engined car when the rev limiter cut the power as I was exploring its acceleration potential. 

You can reliably get a check engine light on in a 2.2 diesel when driving uphill with slow but steady acceleration on boost. The fault code is caused by the engine being under boost for over some amount of seconds that I forget, code is mostly harmless but really you need to get a code reader to rule it out. Could that have possibly been the cause? If you were going uphill having dropped a gear in anticipation of an overtake and then gave it beans it may have been enough to trigger this fault code.

collywobble

• High Output Turbo
  • Number of thanks: 16
  • 2.2 TiD Linear Estate
    • View Profile
    • Colin Brown Environmental Ltd.
« Reply #17 on: 17 September 2018, 08:20:34 PM »
That's exactly the scenario that triggered the EML to come on, pootling along at 50mph behind a caravanner, come to overtaking opportunity, uphill, drop a gear hit the throttle sudden power loss and the light comes on.
Have been using the car today and the light hasn't come on.

Can anyone recommend a reasonably priced code reader that will do the job?

sgould

• Aerobic
  • SST paid up supporter
  • Overboost
  • Number of thanks: 345
  • 2006 9-5 Aero estate - Hirsched.
    • View Profile
    • Christine Bennett - soprano
« Reply #18 on: 17 September 2018, 09:29:21 PM »
I got an Autop D900.  It reads live data as well.  Not as cheap as some.

There is also an option of using an app on a mobile phone.  Torque on an Android phone and something with a name like Dash Command on an Apple iPhone.   Both need a dongle plugged into the ODBII connector.
Help support SaabTechTalk by making a Lump Sum donation or by opening a subscription. 
Options available are in your Profile/Actions.