Author Topic: sunroof problem  (Read 3187 times)

paddysaab

• Airflow
  • Number of thanks: 2
    • View Profile
sunroof problem
« on: 28 June 2012, 02:26:15 AM »
Was trying to get the sunroof working on the Griffin but I've confused myself.
Switch was faulty so I changed it for the one from the old 1993. Now I had power but still no movement, so I dropped down the motor to see was it working and it seemed to be fine. My next move was to wind the sunroof up and down a few times to free it because it must be siezed from not being used. Then I wound it back and forward a couple of times and smeared vaseline on the seal and around the edge of the opening.

Now for the confused bit. I lined up the hole on the big gear with the centre of the small wheel as per Haynes while the roof was up. Strangely this was between the two automatic stops. Now the problem is that the roof tilts and slides like new except that it does not stop at closed. It goes straight through from fully tilted to fully slid without stopping.

What is the proper set up for roof and motor? I think that if I close the roof and drop the motor and spin it with front of the button until it stops then re-install it that would be equal to the roof being slid forward under normal operation. My confusion comes from the fact that in tilting the roof the gear would only turn about 10 mm before meeting the second automatic stop. Surely this is not enough to fully lift the roof?

Any suggestions will be investigated in anticipation of the next sunny day (that probably gives me about a month ;D)

Also, have any of you dismantled the centre console switch? Are the spring contacts the only likely fault? Is it worth polishing them up and putting the switch back in? The older model works backways on the rear windows so if the proper one is easily reparable, I'd like to give it a go.

Thanks Guys

Max Headroom

• SaabTechTalk Team
  • Viggen
  • Number of thanks: 62
  • 2006 93 TiD Convertible. Cotswolds, England
    • View Profile
    • Combat Stress
Re: sunroof problem
« Reply #1 on: 28 June 2012, 09:16:53 AM »
Then I wound it back and forward a couple of times and smeared vaseline on the seal and around the edge of the opening.

Vaseline is going to rot your seal.  Never ever  use petroleum based products on rubber seals or plastics.

If you have time, remove the vaseline ideally with something like Naptha spirit if you can get it, if not then just get off what you can with soapy water.

Lubricating of rubber should be either powdered French chalk or a pure silicone grease very thinly applied. Problem with silicone grease is that it can attract dirt. so will need to be cleaned more frequently.

Sorry Paddy I can't help with the rest of the snag  :-\     ...Just trying to save your seal  ;)
« Last Edit: 28 June 2012, 11:40:14 AM by Trenchfoot »

Audax

• SaabTechTalk Team
  • Wide open throttle
  • Number of thanks: 207
    • View Profile
Re: sunroof problem
« Reply #2 on: 28 June 2012, 10:03:27 AM »
Sorry Paddy I can't help with the rest of the snag  :-\     ...Just trying to save your seal  ;)

A baby seal walks into a club... no, wait. wrong seal...

(sorry)

...and sorry I can't help with the problem either.