Author Topic: 9-5 Aero Handling issues  (Read 6756 times)

Max Headroom

• SaabTechTalk Team
  • Viggen
  • Number of thanks: 62
  • 2006 93 TiD Convertible. Cotswolds, England
    • View Profile
    • Combat Stress
Re: 9-5 Aero Handling issues
« Reply #15 on: 24 May 2018, 09:54:41 PM »
A bit of Oil spillage from a top-up perhaps?

Just been making new brake pipes for my modern MG Midget these last few days - in order to change the front flexible lines (poor access) I had to remove the shocks (Armstrong Lever Arm type) and found one of the shocks was absolutely useless.
I had noticed the car was 'floaty' at the front last season and duly topped the shocks up with oil. It didnt really help a lot though.
No wonder it was 'floaty' - this one shock absorber was  just acting as a top wishbone with no damping whatsoever!

Audax

• SaabTechTalk Team
  • Wide open throttle
  • Number of thanks: 207
    • View Profile
Re: 9-5 Aero Handling issues
« Reply #16 on: 25 May 2018, 06:46:41 AM »
When I replaced a blown rear shock on my old 9-5 I only had time to do one side a day as I needed the housing I'd removed to build up the new shock and spring before swapping it to the other side. Having replaced the blown shock the car suddenly handled really well when turning right, going left was a bit alarming  ;D

As for the oil leaks, it's not actually unusual for a 9-5 to start leaking practically everywhere and not put much onto the drive, it might have just been somewhere they thought could be misted up and oily rather than a dripping leak and they reported it rather than ignore it and have people come and tell them that they didn't mention the "oil leak" on the MOT.