Author Topic: Replacement 9-3 key case  (Read 29167 times)

sgould

• Aerobic
  • SST paid up supporter
  • Overboost
  • Number of thanks: 345
  • 2006 9-5 Aero estate - Hirsched.
    • View Profile
    • Christine Bennett - soprano
Re: Replacement 9-3 key case
« Reply #15 on: 30 December 2017, 09:53:19 PM »
The first one is the hard plastic case that flexes to operate the buttons on the circuit board.  It's horrible.  And the painted markings comes off in a week or two.

The second one with "soft rubber buttons" looks fine.  Similar to the ones I bought, but a different seller.
Help support SaabTechTalk by making a Lump Sum donation or by opening a subscription. 
Options available are in your Profile/Actions.

Steve McF

• Viggen
  • Number of thanks: 10
  • 9-5 2.0LPT.....as was, and now 9-3ss 2.0T Aero :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 30 December 2017, 10:18:33 PM »
Just ordered one of the rubber button variety - will report back on quality when it arrives ;)

Audax

• SaabTechTalk Team
  • Wide open throttle
  • Number of thanks: 207
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 31 December 2017, 11:18:05 AM »

ReAxs7

• Linear
  • Number of thanks: 2
  • Skoda Octavia Mk 4 SE L First Edition
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 13 January 2018, 09:07:22 AM »
I bought this one in October and it's fine.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Fits-SAAB-93-95-9-3-9-5-Replacement-Remote-Key-FOB-CASING-SHELL-battery-/400869752263

In early December 2013 I purchased a similar fob casing for my 9-3 from this ebay seller (auto_motor_kris). It was as described with soft rubber buttons which felt and functioned as those on the original. I transferred the Saab emblem from the old fob, sticking it on with a spot of Evo-Stik type adhesive. The fob was still doing the job when I sold the car at the end of January 2014.

Steve McF

• Viggen
  • Number of thanks: 10
  • 9-5 2.0LPT.....as was, and now 9-3ss 2.0T Aero :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 21 January 2018, 06:49:42 PM »
As it has been so wet this weekend, and all the things I could have done on the car, I have not - so this evening I thought I couldn't let the whole weekend go without having done SOMETHING, at least :D

So I turned my attention to the keyfob. And just in time too as one of the buttons disintegrated this afternoon (see first pic below)!! It was actually quite easy to transfer the circuit board over, and whilst the new Ebay sourced case took a bit of work to get it to fully clip together, it worked first time when I went out to the car, and works in the ignition no problem :)

So a small job well done for a Sunday evening!! The only thing I need to do is prise the Saab badge off the back of the old fob and glue it onto this new one. Does it come off if I get a screwdriver or knife behind it? Any suggestions as to the best glue to use for putting it on the new fob?

The second pic below shows the new fob on the 'Saab 9-3' keyring, with my spare key on the 'Aero' keyring. This spare is actually in OK condition, so I'll carry on using that as the main key, and replace that case once it goes the same way as the first one ;)

The only thing to note is that the key top part of the key isn't as snug a fit against the new case with a gap on the back, but I'm not too fussed with that
« Last Edit: 21 January 2018, 06:56:28 PM by Steve McF »

sgould

• Aerobic
  • SST paid up supporter
  • Overboost
  • Number of thanks: 345
  • 2006 9-5 Aero estate - Hirsched.
    • View Profile
    • Christine Bennett - soprano
« Reply #20 on: 21 January 2018, 09:58:48 PM »
I have found the same problem with the fob not fully clipping together.  Some people have modified the inside with a sharp knife, others have fitted a thinner battery.

I used Evostick for the badge, but it only lasted a few months, despite degreasing everything.
« Last Edit: 21 January 2018, 10:00:48 PM by sgould »
Help support SaabTechTalk by making a Lump Sum donation or by opening a subscription. 
Options available are in your Profile/Actions.