Author Topic: Tired paintwork  (Read 6301 times)

Steve McF

• Viggen
  • Number of thanks: 10
  • 9-5 2.0LPT.....as was, and now 9-3ss 2.0T Aero :)
    • View Profile
Tired paintwork
« on: 10 March 2019, 08:37:00 PM »
Hi all,

so my paintwork does come up a treat when I polish the car (which has not been very often so far!!). But I have never used a clay bar - not even sure what one is - but I gather they really clean up the paint a treat, and then when you wax/polish, the car really looks good.

I suspect that the previous 4 owners have all been using the car wash more than the hand wash, and so the paint work can look a little roughed up with minute scratching.

I made a start at trying to stop some rust in the rear arches from progressing by sanding it down and using Hydrate80 on it, so at some point I want to get the car to a bodyshop to tidy it all up.

Is there anything I could get a quote on doing to improve the paint/lacquer finish? I guess a relacquer will be horrendously expensive and not worth it......

carrera

• SaabTechTalk-Team
  • Test pilot
  • Number of thanks: 17
    • View Profile
Re: Tired paintwork
« Reply #1 on: 10 March 2019, 10:30:42 PM »
I'm no expert....... but have used a dual action mop to rejuvenate paintwork.

You need to look on a forum called detailing world I think

That'll explain clay bars, all sorts of finishing products (farecla seem popular), paint thickness measures with lots of examples of tremendous finishes.

Method is basically, wash a couple of times, claybar to get rid of embedded stuff, eliminate scratches by polishing / filling with product.

There'll be references on there for people who can do it for you. perhaps a couple of days work ?
9-5 Aero Estates, 2002 Cosmic Blue, 2003 Steel Grey, 2003 Graphite Green, 2004 9-5 Glacier Blue 2.0 saloon, 2004 Nocturne Blue 2.2 diesel estate, 2006 & 2008 Black Aero saloons, 1998 9000 CSE with Aero engine, 9-5 NG Aero XWD Turbo4, 9-5 NG Aero XWD TTiD

sgould

• Aerobic
  • SST paid up supporter
  • Overboost
  • Number of thanks: 345
  • 2006 9-5 Aero estate - Hirsched.
    • View Profile
    • Christine Bennett - soprano
« Reply #2 on: 11 March 2019, 10:22:48 AM »
It depends on the finish that you want.  I polish the Carlsson once a year, but I was told by a valeter with OCD that I had “just used a wax to fill the scratches”.  He said that a real finish involved rubbing down the paint finish to get the shine, and then protecting that.

I find I have too many other things to do than keep a car shiny!!  It only stays shiny until you drive it anyway...
« Last Edit: 11 March 2019, 11:17:50 AM by sgould »
Help support SaabTechTalk by making a Lump Sum donation or by opening a subscription. 
Options available are in your Profile/Actions.

David

• Turbo
  • Number of thanks: 13
  • Great Western Saabs
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 11 March 2019, 11:02:28 AM »
I am guilty! Yes I am bit OCD with paintwork, not only because I like it looking clean, but also IMHO it also protects the paintwork and in doing so, reduces body rust.

Anyway, get yourself a cheap polishing machine (not one of those big mop type one's) that look like an angle grinder in shape such as https://www.argos.co.uk/product/8647300
Get yourself a few velcro backed sponge heads.
Get yourself a selection of cutting compounds and glazes - I use Menzerna but there are plenty to choose from.
Get your car washed, ideally with a traffic film remover, so you get rid of the old waxes. (Washing up detergent also works)
Clay your car to remove the stuck on contaminates.  Blutak and a spray of water as a lube works OK
Start with one panel and using the machine, polish in stages until you get a decent finish.
You will NOT damage or burn the paintwork unless you keep it in the same position, on its highest setting for al least ten minutes.
When you are happy, give it a coat of wax or sealer to protect it over the coming months.

If you live local to Bristol I am more than happy for you to pop over for a demonstration. With a bit of practice...  (SAAB 9000 Amethyst)