Author Topic: Anyone heard of this?  (Read 4252 times)

Geoff1951

• SST paid up supporter
  • Test pilot
  • Number of thanks: 22
  • Sadly Saabless, but with a new mistress.
    • View Profile
Re: Anyone heard of this?
« Reply #15 on: 06 October 2020, 11:04:31 AM »
Ian Breach - yes, his arguments were well structured, and not strictly anti-car, but as I understood him, were in part a complaint about the way the industry was/is geared so their "product" is a disposable item, regardless of the marketing spin we see these days. They exist to make and sell cars, and closed airfields and industrial estates all over the country are storing thousands of new and used motors. It'd be interesting to know his views on the electric car industry - yes, cheap at the point of consumption, but costly (financially and environmentally) to produce and dispose of at end of life. Sadly, we'll never know.

You've hit the nail on the head there, Audax.  The proliferation of leasing in the private sector has been the single biggest driver of the increasing number of vehicles registered. Hire Purchase used to be called "on the never never" but PCP and similar finance arrangements are the true "never never" and are even available on used cars.  From talking with my local Skoda/Mazda/Lexus dealer it is very rare for people to actually pay the final lump sum and take ownership  at the end of the contract.

As Will has said many times the cheapest car to buy is the one you already own.

Steve McF

• Viggen
  • Number of thanks: 10
  • 9-5 2.0LPT.....as was, and now 9-3ss 2.0T Aero :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 06 October 2020, 02:23:05 PM »
He wasn't anti car entirely. He was anti replacing good cars because the neighbours had a newer one.  Stuff like that.

A very noble sentiment, at least most of us on here are doing our bit.

It is a significant reason that I keep holding on to my 9-3 despite so many friends telling me how I could get an Audi on a lease for just £350 a month  ::) they usually shut up when I tell them that my total cost of ownership of my cars over the past 13 years works out to about £155 a month (that's all car purchases, maintenance, repairs, parts, accessories and taxes). The 9-3 has so far worked out to about £200 a month although around £45 of that monthly cost has been tax.

Yes, every time I look at the monthly cost of having one of these new cars it seems to be £400 a month. You pay that over 2 or 3 years and the car still isn't yours, so what is the point?

My 9-3 cost me £1200 coming up to 3 years ago. Now granted, I have spent a bit on it since, but that was doing things that either needed doing for general wear and tear reasons, or upgrades that I wanted to do. But our Qashqai rarely needs anything major spending on it, and it is 8 years old with 106k on the clock. My Peugeot 107 I have had for 10 years and rarely had to spend anything on it (although recently replaced the original OEM 12V battery, and about to get the OEM rear drum brakes replaced.......all wear and tear.

Audax

• SaabTechTalk Team
  • Wide open throttle
  • Number of thanks: 207
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 06 October 2020, 06:47:35 PM »
You pay that over 2 or 3 years and the car still isn't yours, so what is the point?

The biggest argument I hear for that is "I need a reliable car and it has a warranty" like it's some magical statement that the car won't break down.

There seems to be some fear from many of my lease owning friends over having a car that might need "expensive repairs" or "how will I get to work", they tend to screw up their face when I point out that hiring a medium sized Hyundai for 2 weeks is less than £350 which is the cost of just 1 month of their lease payment which would be more than enough time to work out what I'm going to do if my car had a critical or difficult to repair failure. I have even had the response of "yeah, but £350 is a lot of money to fork out" which is the cost of their monthly lease!

sgould

• Aerobic
  • SST paid up supporter
  • Overboost
  • Number of thanks: 345
  • 2006 9-5 Aero estate - Hirsched.
    • View Profile
    • Christine Bennett - soprano
« Reply #18 on: 06 October 2020, 09:12:01 PM »
We managed to persuade a friend that it was far cheaper for her to use taxis to get around than run a car.  She thought that taxis were "too expensive" until all the car costs were set out in front of her.  She actually got fitter because she walked down to the High Street shops.
Help support SaabTechTalk by making a Lump Sum donation or by opening a subscription. 
Options available are in your Profile/Actions.