Author Topic: Sparkle your hubcaps!  (Read 5326 times)

Max Headroom

• SaabTechTalk Team
  • Viggen
  • Number of thanks: 62
  • 2006 93 TiD Convertible. Cotswolds, England
    • View Profile
    • Combat Stress
Sparkle your hubcaps!
« on: 25 October 2011, 06:19:15 PM »
Having spent some time cleaning the wheels that had the winter tyres fitted to them yesterday, I noticed that the hubcaps looked really dull.
It wasn't the first time I had noticed this, and I had given them a good scrub when I washed the car in the past, but they still looked dull.
I put this down to the possibility of grime having got inside the badge acrylic dome itself, and had almost resigned myself that there wasn't much that could be done other than buy new ones.

Todays task was to clean the wheels with the summer tyres on them, so I popped out the hubcaps and left them soaking in a bucket of hot soapy water, while I set about the wheels.

Later on I remembered the hubcaps and thought I'd better put them back on the car. I took them out of the bucket but they still looked dull. I scrubbed at them with a brush, but no improvement.
I noticed that the surface seemed quite matt, and decided to use some Greygates plastic polish. I couldn't find any, so resorted to some Duraglit.
The grime came straight off easily which surprised me, as I had convinced myself the dullness was a permanently discoloured badge.
The Acrylic domes feel quite soft - almost rubber-like which doesn't help

I finally finished the job with a little Mr Sheen which worked well, but feel some improvement is still possible.
« Last Edit: 25 October 2011, 06:21:22 PM by Trenchfoot »

john

• SST paid up supporter
  • LPT
  • Number of thanks: 12
  • 2020 Volvo S60 Polestar, 2020 BMW RNineT Scrambler
    • View Profile
Re: Sparkle your hubcaps!
« Reply #1 on: 25 October 2011, 07:27:02 PM »
Hmmm, it makes me wonder if Renovo Plastic window polish would work?  I'll give it a go.
« Last Edit: 26 October 2011, 10:00:28 AM by john »

Petemate

• Aero
  • Number of thanks: 11
  • 2008 9-3 150 Tid Sportwagon Kennington Oxford
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 25 October 2011, 11:54:11 PM »
Had the same situation last year when I bought my winter wheels. I was told by the seller that it was a pity that the caps were probably beyond cleaning, but I was not concerned as I could swap the good ones over. However, I tried several different cleaners, from Armorall wipes to meths to household cleaner then finally - Duraglit! Snap. Worked for mine.

Saabman

• SaabTechTalk Team
  • LPT
  • Number of thanks: 20
  • 9-3 Aero
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 26 October 2011, 06:24:05 AM »
I flatted mine with 1500's and buffed them, Duraglit seems an easier option  ;D

Max Headroom

• SaabTechTalk Team
  • Viggen
  • Number of thanks: 62
  • 2006 93 TiD Convertible. Cotswolds, England
    • View Profile
    • Combat Stress
« Reply #4 on: 26 October 2011, 09:50:30 AM »
Interesting.

The only reason I resorted to Duraglit was that I couldn't find my bottle of Greygates plastic polish.

I remembered years ago at school, in metalwork, designing and making a bottle-opener (which I still have!). The handle part of the bottle-opener was sandwiched by two pieces of coloured acrylic rivetted on. This was then filed, to match the metal handle shape and size, and the edges of the acrylic polished using Duraglit. So I assumed that this might have some sort of polishing action on the plastic caps.
It certainly got the grime out of them!

David

• Turbo
  • Number of thanks: 13
  • Great Western Saabs
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 26 October 2011, 10:30:45 AM »
Looks good, surprising the difference.
Autosol chrome polish also works on plastics and glass.