Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
Off-topic chat, Help, Advice, General motoring issues / Re: Fuel system/engine cleaners
« Last post by sgould on 24 February 2018, 07:08:11 PM »
When Viking Saab were still family owned, they used Forte engine cleaner in the fuel and the oil flush.  I have no idea if it was any good...
Saab always recommended 'Forte' fuel treatment. I always put a bottle in the tank at every service. Both the sulphur in diesel and the lead in petrol were lubricants and the fuel pump in the 2.2 TiD needs fuel with good lubricity to keep it going. That's why I never ever use supermarket diesel and why Peugeot actually state that supermarket diesel should not be used in their cars.
Off-topic chat, Help, Advice, General motoring issues / Re: Fuel system/engine cleaners
« Last post by Audax on 24 February 2018, 06:24:22 PM »
Does anyone have any experience of using these 'official' Saab fuel system and engine cleaners from Orio?

Unlikely to do anything and unlikely to harm anything. They were never a product when Saab were in business but now Orio are looking at new ways to make money they are suddenly something they suggest using. If they would  work so well why didn't Saab ever test them in their R&D facilities and put them on the parts list?
My 17 year old Astra G (2.0 litre Di diesel - basically the same engine as in my Saab but only 1995c.c. and no intercooler) died on me a few weeks ago and the AA man started it with the battery pack they carry. He then proceed to tell me a horror story about faulty injector seals, leak off and vacuum pipes.  Now I have previous experience of the AA with my 2.2 TiD linear estate not starting which turned out to be a loose earth on the fuel pump/ECU.  He did not know where the ECU was on the car and their technical people who he rang had no information on the car either!

Anyway the Astra started fine after a couple of runs round the estate and I happened to read an answer to a technical query in 'Diesel Car' magazine recommending to try using Wynn's fuel system cleaner and Turbo cleaner both together.

Well the Astra now starts better with less white smoke, idles much more smoothly and is quieter.

I won't be renewing with the AA either!
Off-topic chat, Help, Advice, General motoring issues / Fuel system/engine cleaners
« Last post by Steve McF on 24 February 2018, 11:06:40 AM »
Does anyone have any experience of using these 'official' Saab fuel system and engine cleaners from Orio?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Saab-Professional-Fuel-System-cleaner-Petrol/263468770989

If so, do you notice any difference after?
Classic Saab 9-5 (MY 1998-2010) / Re: Temperature Gauge Silliness
« Last post by twosaabs on 23 February 2018, 07:21:15 PM »
Both thermostat and sender replaced (and had a flush while we were at it) and all is well with the world  ;D
Just ordered a satnav screen mount sucker off Ebay to use for just this purpose ;)
Checked the tyres tonight - 27 - 28psi in each of them, not filled to 35psi. Will see how we go ;)
Classic Saab 9-5 (MY 1998-2010) / Re: Excessive engine vibration close to stalling.
« Last post by fka on 19 February 2018, 10:13:14 PM »
Novel isn't it!
Oddly it occasionally makes a good seal, hence my comment 'it's working intermittently'..
Classic Saab 9-5 (MY 1998-2010) / Re: Excessive engine vibration close to stalling.
« Last post by sgould on 19 February 2018, 09:28:06 PM »
Not heard one do that before...
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10