Author Topic: Stiff gearchange  (Read 2942 times)

Alan

• Vector
  • Number of thanks: 7
    • View Profile
Stiff gearchange
« on: 03 September 2014, 01:02:54 PM »
Over the last few weeks my gear lever has got stiff.

It moves 1st to 2nd. 3rd to 4th. 5th to 6th ok the problem is when moving through neutral 2nd to 3rd. 4th to 5th.

I think it's a gear linkage that needs a bit of lubrication rather than gearbox or clutch.

Has anyone else had this or know where to start looking / squirting oil.

The last couple of services have been done by my local garage, is there something the dealer would have oiled that they have missed ?

Thanks  Alan

Audax

• SaabTechTalk Team
  • Wide open throttle
  • Number of thanks: 207
    • View Profile
Re: Stiff gearchange
« Reply #1 on: 03 September 2014, 06:08:19 PM »
It's most likely the selector tower that fits into the gearbox, they get stiff over time like you mention, the part no. is 55556311 and they cost about £300, however you can get refurb units on ebay for about £120 and some people offer repair kits.

Alan

• Vector
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 03 September 2014, 07:16:58 PM »
Thanks for that.

I was worried when I saw the £300.  I've found the ebay repair kits, they are a bush and a pivot pin plus a couple of tools to help replace the original.

They say it can be done at home in about an hour.  I'll start it when I know I don't need the car for the day lol.

Now I just have to decide whether to get the " poor quality copy " at £27 or the 2 stroke Saab " genuine " one at £45.

Audax

• SaabTechTalk Team
  • Wide open throttle
  • Number of thanks: 207
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 03 September 2014, 08:01:06 PM »
Now I just have to decide whether to get the " poor quality copy " at £27 or the 2 stroke Saab " genuine " one at £45.

As much as I'm not a fan of two stroke I'd really consider spending a few more pounds as at least if the kit is rubbish you've got a stronger case for getting your money back and getting support/advice and they have more reputation to lose than people making their own kits up who will probably shrug shoulders and just blame you.

Max Headroom

• SaabTechTalk Team
  • Viggen
  • Number of thanks: 62
  • 2006 93 TiD Convertible. Cotswolds, England
    • View Profile
    • Combat Stress
« Reply #4 on: 07 September 2014, 04:52:43 PM »
Hi Alan, I bought the "two-stroke kit" soon after acquiring the car some years back (my gear selection was extremely difficult and vague at the time). I can report that it has given me no trouble since and that I am very pleased.

Alan

• Vector
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 11 September 2014, 01:24:45 PM »
Job done. 

Thanks for the diagnosis and advice gearchange is now back to normal.

Alan