Author Topic: Airbag malfunction and fasten seatbelt warnings  (Read 3194 times)

Alan

• Vector
  • Number of thanks: 7
    • View Profile
Airbag malfunction and fasten seatbelt warnings
« on: 10 November 2015, 01:27:40 PM »
After a period with no problems I went out today and have the warnings popping up. I have had the airbag malfunction warning before ( about 4 times in the last 2 years ) but only on cold winter mornings, the warning light would stay on. I noticed that if I waited until car started to get warm then restarted engine all would be fine.

Today bing bong airbag malfunction contact service airbag warning light on. 30 seconds later bing bong fasten seatbelt, seatbelt 2 ( passenger ? ) warning light on. another 30 seconds or so and airbag warning light goes off, a little later and seatbelt warning goes off.
Then it starts again with the warnings coming on and going off, while the seatbelt 2 warning is on it may or may not be joined by a continuous bong bong bong ( drivers seatbelt warning ? ).

There was anything from 10 seconds to 2 minutes with no warnings on but when they start it was always the airbag warning that came up first.

I've done a search for this but they all have the warning lights on all the time not coming on then going off like mine.

Is there anything I can check before it goes to the local Saab indi. What sort of costs am I in for if parts need replacing.

Audax

• SaabTechTalk Team
  • Wide open throttle
  • Number of thanks: 207
    • View Profile
Re: Airbag malfunction and fasten seatbelt warnings
« Reply #1 on: 10 November 2015, 02:15:12 PM »
Sounds like it will need a replacement control module, I've known a car to do this before but can't remember if it was airbag ECU or the CIM that needed replacing.

I would say take it to the local guy and get it on Tech-II, fault codes read and cleared and wait to see if it does it again.

Alan

• Vector
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 10 November 2015, 03:32:53 PM »
Update.  Went to pick wife up, about 1 mile each way.
 Start up no warnings,
50 yds Air bag light on, 50 yds more and it goes off.
500yds from destination Passenger seatbelt light is on, 50 yds and it goes off.
Pulling into car park get air bag followed straight away by passenger seatbelt before I can park up both go off.
Parked up waiting with engine ticking over for 5 minutes and no warnings.
Wife gets in, drive home no warnings.
Could it be a fault with the passenger seat sensors ???

sgould

• Aerobic
  • SST paid up supporter
  • Overboost
  • Number of thanks: 345
  • 2006 9-5 Aero estate - Hirsched.
    • View Profile
    • Christine Bennett - soprano
« Reply #3 on: 10 November 2015, 04:06:41 PM »
It would be expensive to guess.  A Tech 2 session should tell you which sensor is giving the signals.
Help support SaabTechTalk by making a Lump Sum donation or by opening a subscription. 
Options available are in your Profile/Actions.

Alan

• Vector
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 10 November 2015, 11:25:26 PM »
Went out again and this time no problems. I have AA repair cover but I need to have called them out to it before it goes to the garage for them to cover any repair costs.
I'll see what happens tomorrow I've got an 8 mile run on my own then 20 miles with a passenger, if having a passenger stops the warnings for any length of time it could be a problem because they would want to see it while the warnings are there and I won't have time to take it out on my own and wait for them to come and check it before next week.