Author Topic: All season tyres.  (Read 26012 times)

Audax

• SaabTechTalk Team
  • Wide open throttle
  • Number of thanks: 207
    • View Profile
Re: All season tyres.
« Reply #30 on: 06 February 2017, 06:49:39 PM »
7mm seems a bit low to start with, if the tyres were new.  My Nokians are nearer 9mm.  They have built in depth guides.

My Nokians measured 8mm when new, having looked on a few forums everyone suggests that the Crossclimates do start at 7mm however I'm not that bothered about differences in tread depth as it's more the total tyre life that I want to see, so if they wear more slowly than the Nokians then I'm OK with that. Anyway tyre gauge turned up today so I'll record the tread depth a bit more accurately tomorrow.

Audax

• SaabTechTalk Team
  • Wide open throttle
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 07 February 2017, 07:27:54 PM »
Checked the tread depth today with the new gauge, it's a bit baffling as some grooves measure 6.9mm and others are 6.6mm but it was raining so I wasn't going to try and work it out. At least that would suggest that I've only "used" 0.4mm of tread at worst over 1650 miles which would suggest a tyre life of 16500 miles if I use them until they are 3mm which isn't so bad.

Audax

• SaabTechTalk Team
  • Wide open throttle
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 13 August 2017, 03:47:56 PM »
The Michelin Crossclimates have started life with 7mm of tread and the car has done 91000 miles so I'm going to keep a record of the wear rate too.
92615 miles today, Crossclimates are at just over 6mm. Maybe I should be a bit easier on them...  ::)
98000 miles today, Fronts are 5.8mm rears are 6.4mm

Norfolk Jim

• SST paid up supporter
  • Viggen
  • Number of thanks: 27
  • No longer Saab now Nippon Express 4x4
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 14 August 2017, 09:59:00 AM »
Not to bad but my wifes Cross Climates on her Golf have now done 25k and still 4mm all round!!!

My Nokian WRD2's are doing quite well - I've done some 5k on them and they show no signs of wear - must admit the ride is good and very quiet for a winter tyre. Not sure how well they'll last as changed my job beginning of July which means more travel - did 1800 business miles last month alone.

sgould

• Aerobic
  • SST paid up supporter
  • Overboost
  • Number of thanks: 345
  • 2006 9-5 Aero estate - Hirsched.
    • View Profile
    • Christine Bennett - soprano
« Reply #34 on: 14 August 2017, 11:19:31 AM »
I'm amazed how quiet the Nokian winter tyres are.  I'll be glad to get them back on the Carlsson.  The Pirelli PZero Nero GT are very noisy.
Help support SaabTechTalk by making a Lump Sum donation or by opening a subscription. 
Options available are in your Profile/Actions.

Audax

• SaabTechTalk Team
  • Wide open throttle
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 14 August 2017, 06:48:20 PM »
I found the same with the Nokian WR G2 that I had on the 9-5, really quiet and lasted a really long time. Only downside was they are a bit bouncy castle ride which was fine most of the time but not really very sporty.

Audax

• SaabTechTalk Team
  • Wide open throttle
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 14 January 2018, 03:16:29 PM »
The Michelin Crossclimates have started life with 7mm of tread and the car has done 91000 miles so I'm going to keep a record of the wear rate too.
92615 miles today, Crossclimates are at just over 6mm. Maybe I should be a bit easier on them...  ::)
98000 miles today, Fronts are 5.8mm rears are 6.4mm
101,500 today, so they've done just over 10k Front is 5.2, rear is 6.2mm

Looking like the fronts will do a bit over 20k which is not bad at all. Rears will get moved to front when new tyres are sourced.

sgould

• Aerobic
  • SST paid up supporter
  • Overboost
  • Number of thanks: 345
  • 2006 9-5 Aero estate - Hirsched.
    • View Profile
    • Christine Bennett - soprano
« Reply #37 on: 14 January 2018, 04:43:59 PM »
You've timed them right.  You will still be above the 4mm tread depth at the end of winter, then you can wear the rest out in the summer...  :)
Help support SaabTechTalk by making a Lump Sum donation or by opening a subscription. 
Options available are in your Profile/Actions.

Audax

• SaabTechTalk Team
  • Wide open throttle
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 14 January 2018, 04:57:42 PM »
You've timed them right.  You will still be above the 4mm tread depth at the end of winter, then you can wear the rest out in the summer...  :)

Not so sure on that, I do about 10k a year and at this rate they will get to 3mm in about another 12k which is March 2019(ish!) when I will replace them. So they will spend most of next winter below 4mm, even worse the rears moved to the front will be on maybe 5.5mm at that point so will probably also hit 4mm in winter 2019 :(

Norfolk Jim

• SST paid up supporter
  • Viggen
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: 15 January 2018, 09:34:47 AM »
Wow - that's quite a bit of wear. My Nokian's have now done just under 10k and amazingly have 7mm all round!!!!

Audax

• SaabTechTalk Team
  • Wide open throttle
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: 15 January 2018, 04:43:46 PM »
Wow - that's quite a bit of wear. My Nokian's have now done just under 10k and amazingly have 7mm all round!!!!

I'd say a 20k-25k lifetime for a set of front tyres on a 9-3 aero is pretty good, I've seen people get through them before they make next service before  ;D

Norfolk Jim

• SST paid up supporter
  • Viggen
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: 17 January 2018, 09:41:32 AM »
They must be traffic light racers.............not so easy in a diesel as revs build too quick on a quick get away. Much better to move off reasonably quick to get a quick change into 2nd then floor it and hang on to steering wheel while it fights you for grip and line :)     

phoenix

• SaabTechTalk-Team
  • Test pilot
  • Number of thanks: 108
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: 03 September 2018, 09:40:54 AM »
Back to life...

Just a had a set of Crossclimates fitted all round on the new 9-5. Initial impression is that they are quieter than I had expected. Comfort seems good (the old tyres were 235 wide, these are 225). Will see how we go on mileage/wear...

Norfolk Jim

• SST paid up supporter
  • Viggen
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: 04 September 2018, 09:10:04 AM »
My son has just bought a superb BMW 530d M sport estate which is an amazing car. All 4 tyres though were getting low. He'd had cross climates on his Golf and loved them but sadly they don't do his size 245/40 x 18 so he's gone, like me for Nokian and has had WR4A's fitted. His first reaction was that they felt grippier than the Bridgestone Potenzas that came off!!!! He said it had made a massive change to the cars driving characteristics for the better. I did say it could be because the others were nearly shot but so far he's chuffed like me with Nokian winters for all year round

fka

• Super Aero
  • Number of thanks: 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: 23 June 2019, 04:24:14 PM »
Resurrecting a bit of an old thread but I've just had a set of CrossClimate+ fitted. I wanted to stick with 235s so went for the Y 97s that Blackcircles currently have £50 cash back on, so just over £390 fitted.

Not done a huge amount of driving and only in the dry, but enough to have chucked the car round a few (quiet) roundabouts, and a bit of tootling around with the family. They're plenty grippy but you can certainly feels the softer compound in a corner, there's a slight delay before they dig in. But the ride is much smoother and they are a lot quieter than the Primacy 3 I've just removed.
My only major issue is that I seem to be able to spin the wheels much easier when pulling of, especially on a hill start, without actually making much effort..