Author Topic: Smelly and smoky during re-gen  (Read 270 times)

Norfolk Jim

• SST paid up supporter
  • Viggen
  • Number of thanks: 26
  • :) I said Twin Turbo mate - Yes 2 on em
    • View Profile
Smelly and smoky during re-gen
« on: 20 July 2017, 08:54:15 AM »
Had a rather smelly experience the other day.

On A11 for 5 mins taking new pup for first jabs at vets. He's in crate in the back of my 9-3 Aero Est TTiD and making quite a din so I pull over into a laybye and wife gets into back to try and pacify him. Engine still running and she say's 'Wow some smelly smoky vehicle just went past'..................... I look in my mirrors and note the smoke seems to be eminating from back of my car and there's a kerosene smell! I tell her not to worry and drive off. No CEL or anything, temp gauge normal and car running beautifully. I arrive at the Thickthorn roundabout after couple of miles and whilst waiting for lights to change notice still some smoke out the back so up onto a short 4 mile run along A47 at 70 in 5th and all is still running well. We then come off dual and use country roads to skirt Norwich and up to Alysham to my vets. We get out of car and all seems fine no smells and not smoke. All was fine on the run home.

Never had it do this before but new it must be re-gen as computer said doing only 30 mpg instead of normal 50 ish. On way home it was back up to 52 mpg. Seems to me it was needing a re-gen urgently so as soon as onto A11 and engine warm (about 5 miles on dual carriageway) it thought 'let's do it' but I messed it up and stopped. It ran fine all the while.

Am I right in my thinking? For a little while I'd had a slight smell of burnt diesel in car but I understand there's a rubber pressure pipe just before DPF sensor? that could be blocked a bit????
Who said diesels dead - mine goes allriot

Audax

• SST paid up supporter
  • Wide open throttle
  • Number of thanks: 189
    • View Profile
Re: Smelly and smoky during re-gen
« Reply #1 on: 20 July 2017, 09:01:58 AM »
You probably just interrupted the regen, the technology for the regen isn't great to be honest. One thing you should do is check the oil level of your car as there was an issue with the regeneration where diesel supposed to be for the regen would end up in the sump. I wouldn't worry about it however and just keep an eye on it from here on.

Norfolk Jim

• SST paid up supporter
  • Viggen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 20 July 2017, 09:08:33 AM »
I assume that would give a higher level on dipstick? I do find these dipsticks hard to read TBH. Do you have to do them after engine has been running or can you get a genuine reading when cold?

Audax

• SST paid up supporter
  • Wide open throttle
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 21 July 2017, 09:25:52 AM »
Yes, they do read higher on the dip stick, you're supposed to check them when oil is hot a couple of minutes after turning off the engine.

Norfolk Jim

• SST paid up supporter
  • Viggen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 15 August 2017, 12:22:09 PM »
Ok so this morning I took pup to vets for second jabs and waiting at Thickthorn services noticed smoke coming out from under car but no lights and car was running fine. Ran it along next section of bypass in 5th at 70 so roughly 2500 rpm and seemed ok. Got back home and car was smelly with burnt diesel smell.

After 30 mins checked dipstick 4 times cleaning in between each and all 4 times it showed the oil level as being approx 3 mm above max....................

What should I do??????? Car is used for very long runs once a week - each drive can be around 600 miles so nigh on tank of fuel.

Audax

• SST paid up supporter
  • Wide open throttle
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 15 August 2017, 07:24:46 PM »
Sorry but the TTID is a bit after my time really so I don't think I can give much useful advice. I would keep an eye on that oil level though.

Norfolk Jim

• SST paid up supporter
  • Viggen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 15 August 2017, 08:26:46 PM »
Found I am eligible for the software update for regens as i have complained which also means oil gets changed - appears this will resolve the issue for good and somehow my car missed that update.

Happy bunny as they'll collect it as well. :)

Anyone with TTiD 08 - 10 reg that hasn't had it done and oil level rises or dpf full shows can complain and get this done FOC.

wrighar

• SaabTechTalk Team
  • Turbo
  • Number of thanks: 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 15 August 2017, 11:13:54 PM »
Check the pipe from cat to DPF hasn't split at the flexi.  both ours did and would create white smoke on regen from the split.

Norfolk Jim

• SST paid up supporter
  • Viggen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 05 September 2017, 11:37:42 AM »
Well car went in for software update only to find it already had it but source of smell found - well guessed Andrew; yes it was flexi just before DPF. Nice split showing blackened sooty mark where it had been pushing smelly stuff out. Otherwise no error codes etc and was running fine - tech asked if I'd had the Hirsch upgrade done as it went so well - then checked on Tech2 to find no. He wondered then how fast it really would be after that as he felt quickest standard TTiD he'd driven. 125 for part being fitted elsewhere - dealers wanted 165 for hour and half!!!!!