Author Topic: 9-5 Aero Stage 1  (Read 5256 times)

Kev_Mc

• SST paid up supporter
  • Super Aero
  • Number of thanks: 10
  • 08 9-5 Aero
    • View Profile
9-5 Aero Stage 1
« on: 16 August 2017, 10:45:17 AM »
I've got my Dame Edna booked in with Karl this Saturday to remap to a Stage 1.

Have been disappointed with the performance of the car, so hoping this will rectify this to some degree at least!

ReAxs7

• Linear
  • Number of thanks: 2
  • Skoda Octavia Mk 4 SE L First Edition
    • View Profile
Re: 9-5 Aero Stage 1
« Reply #1 on: 18 August 2017, 06:51:19 PM »
I've got my Dame Edna booked in with Karl this Saturday to remap to a Stage 1.

Have been disappointed with the performance of the car,  ...
I'm just curious as to why. Have you been used to more powerful cars?

All the best for Saturday. I hope you are pleased with the result of your visit to Karl.
« Last Edit: 18 August 2017, 06:52:54 PM by ReAxs7 »

sgould

• Aerobic
  • SST paid up supporter
  • Overboost
  • Number of thanks: 345
  • 2006 9-5 Aero estate - Hirsched.
    • View Profile
    • Christine Bennett - soprano
« Reply #2 on: 18 August 2017, 09:50:12 PM »
Good luck, tomorrow! :)  Enjoy the drive home!! :D
Help support SaabTechTalk by making a Lump Sum donation or by opening a subscription. 
Options available are in your Profile/Actions.

sgould

• Aerobic
  • SST paid up supporter
  • Overboost
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 19 August 2017, 10:49:33 PM »
Are you home yet?  ???
Help support SaabTechTalk by making a Lump Sum donation or by opening a subscription. 

Kev_Mc

• SST paid up supporter
  • Super Aero
  • 08 9-5 Aero
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 21 August 2017, 10:37:33 AM »
Well, it's definitely quicker. Quicker from rest but more noteably in mid-range.

Glad I only went for Stage 1 - I'm getting torque steer in Sport Mode when overtaking from 40mph. ESP working overtime now - barely saw it on before. I need 4wd now!

How are the brakes meant to feel on Aero's? They don't feel progressive at all despite having new disks and pads all round.

sgould

• Aerobic
  • SST paid up supporter
  • Overboost
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 21 August 2017, 09:37:41 PM »
What brake discs and pads are fitted?  A change to something better might help.

But Hirsch wouldn't sell the 300 hp upgrade without bigger brakes. But they did sell the 280 hp one without the brake upgrade.

But good discs and pads might help.  Some people fit Brembo discs and Ferodo pads. Some fit EBC Yellowstuff. But they are a bit Marmite...

I don't get torque steer now. There was a period when it seemed to happen, but new rear trailing arm bushes cured it.  Along with shock absorbers.  But that was at 100,000 miles.

Kev_Mc

• SST paid up supporter
  • Super Aero
  • 08 9-5 Aero
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 22 August 2017, 10:15:53 AM »
The brakes felt poor before the remap. I've got to really stomp on them to get any effect. Then drive the Mrs' car and go through the windscreen at the first tap of the brakes!

The shocks - was that all round? I'll get this looked at as soon as I can as the torque steer is disconcerting at the least and bordering on dangerous at times.

Car has only done 65k.

Suppose this is one of the areas that the remap has highlighted isn't up to scratch - got away with it on normal power...

Audax

• SaabTechTalk Team
  • Wide open throttle
  • Number of thanks: 207
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 22 August 2017, 10:39:22 AM »
I'd be checking the brake booster system and especially the hard plastic booster lines for vacuum leaks, this is very common. My old 9-5 had poor brakes and I just pulled the hard plastic line out of the vacuum pump as the clip was broken, when I fixed it the brakes were suddenly much better (although 9-5 brakes are never amazing).

sgould

• Aerobic
  • SST paid up supporter
  • Overboost
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 22 August 2017, 11:42:44 AM »
The rear shocks on the 9-5 seem to wear out quickly.  I changed mine at 90,000 and they were well past their best.  Two inches of slack before anything happened! :o

But a bit before that I had the rear trailing arm bushes replaced too.  Some people put poly in the big bush. I had the standard rubber.

Both items above would be on my list to check, as well as the brake check.

Kev_Mc

• SST paid up supporter
  • Super Aero
  • 08 9-5 Aero
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 22 August 2017, 12:17:00 PM »
Thanks for all the suggestions. I've found some bushes here. I'll get them ordered and get my mechanic to look at the shocks and the brakes. Any recommendations for shocks?

Audax

• SaabTechTalk Team
  • Wide open throttle
  • Number of thanks: 207
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 22 August 2017, 12:45:40 PM »
I replaced the rear shocks on my 9-5 with Sachs which were fine (and I think the OEM for Saab), look up the price for genuine Saab too, also look at the Bilstein B4. Unless you're looking for something upgraded over standard?

Norfolk Jim

• SST paid up supporter
  • Viggen
  • Number of thanks: 27
  • No longer Saab now Nippon Express 4x4
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 30 August 2017, 11:53:22 AM »
the torque steer is disconcerting at the least and bordering on dangerous at times.

Car has only done 65k.

Suppose this is one of the areas that the remap has highlighted isn't up to scratch - got away with it on normal power...

Kev - what tyres have you got on the car? When I had my Aero re-mapped by Abbotts to 300 the torque steer was terrible like you described. I complained to Abbotts and Giles asked what tyres I had on - bit of a mixture so changed them to decent Michelin Pilot and also put new genuine drop links on - it literally disappeared and never had any issues then apart from wearing them out through playing with the power.

Kev_Mc

• SST paid up supporter
  • Super Aero
  • 08 9-5 Aero
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 01 September 2017, 10:36:19 AM »
the torque steer is disconcerting at the least and bordering on dangerous at times.

Car has only done 65k.

Kev - what tyres have you got on the car? When I had my Aero re-mapped by Abbotts to 300 the torque steer was terrible like you described. I complained to Abbotts and Giles asked what tyres I had on - bit of a mixture so changed them to decent Michelin Pilot and also put new genuine drop links on - it literally disappeared and never had any issues then apart from wearing them out through playing with the power.

I had checked the tyre pressures - the backs were both down a fair bit. This has made a difference, though after your comment I checked the brands. I knew the tyres were miss matched on the back (one Pirelli and one Nexen) though hadn't realised there was an issue on the front. They are both Pirellis, though one is a P Zero and one is a P7 so I guess they'll have different tread patterns which I suspect won't help.

The car is definitely quicker - went through the M6 Toll the other day - get to do a legal 0-70 after the tolls. Other cars were trying but the 9-5 steamed ahead of the lot with little fuss.

Norfolk Jim

• SST paid up supporter
  • Viggen
  • Number of thanks: 27
  • No longer Saab now Nippon Express 4x4
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 01 September 2017, 12:04:13 PM »
Nice - I often catch people out with my 9-3 TTiD manual Aero. Did it the other day coming home over the Humber Bridge; quite funny