Author Topic: Aero - manual vs auto  (Read 3300 times)

Steve McF

• Viggen
  • Number of thanks: 10
  • 9-5 2.0LPT.....as was, and now 9-3ss 2.0T Aero :)
    • View Profile
Aero - manual vs auto
« on: 22 November 2017, 09:24:12 AM »
Hi all,

looking at 9-3 Aero saloons and just wondered if a manual is a better bet than an auto?

sgould

• Aerobic
  • SST paid up supporter
  • Overboost
  • Number of thanks: 345
  • 2006 9-5 Aero estate - Hirsched.
    • View Profile
    • Christine Bennett - soprano
Re: Aero - manual vs auto
« Reply #1 on: 22 November 2017, 11:26:37 AM »
We ran the auto 1.8t with no issues.  The manual version seems to struggle a bit with the clutch when tuned.

The more powerful versions run a dual mass flywheel, but many more £££.

In real life the auto is at least as fast with lock up in the higher gears. And it has the J gate +/- lever (as well as steering wheel buttons after 2004).

Sport suspension on the early cars is very harsh.
Help support SaabTechTalk by making a Lump Sum donation or by opening a subscription. 
Options available are in your Profile/Actions.

Steve McF

• Viggen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 22 November 2017, 12:28:39 PM »
I'd be looking at the 2.0 Aero 210bhp version, possibly in the 2004 -2006 time frame. Not sure when the road tax banding changed in 2006?

How do we know which ones have the dual mass flywheel? That is something costly I want to avoid!!!

is that where the auto comes into it's own?
« Last Edit: 22 November 2017, 12:41:51 PM by Steve McF »

sgould

• Aerobic
  • SST paid up supporter
  • Overboost
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 22 November 2017, 02:56:41 PM »
I think it's only it's only the 1.8t that has the solid flywheel.  All the others have the DMF.  Makes an auto much more attractive!! :)  With the lock up in the higher gears it doesn't suffer a fuel penalty from slippage on the open road.

But the 9-5 is all traditional for the manual - except the 3.0 V6 diesel,butyou don't really want one of those.

The 9-5 auto was five speed from 2002 but only got the steering buttons in 2003.

My choice would be to try for a 2007 model for the 9-3. It has the new dash and standard double DIN audio which can be replaced easily, but retained the old body shape. But high tax.

Or the 2004-5 9-5 Aero with the Luxury Pack (Harmon Kardon 9 speaker audio, memory driver's seat and electric passenger seat, rain sensing wipers, heated rear seat, and some other stuff...)

The cut-off date for the tax change was around 23rd March 2006 for date of first registration.
« Last Edit: 22 November 2017, 02:58:48 PM by sgould »
Help support SaabTechTalk by making a Lump Sum donation or by opening a subscription. 

Audax

• SaabTechTalk Team
  • Wide open throttle
  • Number of thanks: 207
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 22 November 2017, 05:46:10 PM »
The DMF in the petrol models is not such a problem as in the diesels, I wouldn't worry about it. In all the time I worked on these cars I don't think we ever replaced a DMF in a petrol but we replaced dozens in the 1.9 diesels (and none in the 2.2 diesel).

Saying that, I have the auto and prefer it to the manual, the manual gearbox isn't all that great and the auto does suit the car. I'd only let the decision sway you if you either hate auto or manual.

Steve McF

• Viggen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 23 November 2017, 08:09:24 AM »
Hi, thanks - I have no real preference for auto over manual, but I do want a petrol over a diesel.

An auto would be a nice touch though - I've never owned an auto myself, but looking at the prices, they're all in the same ball park now.

The change in the 2007 9-3 is interesting though. Can pre-07 cars not have their stereos upgraded? Can a lower spec car take a stereo taken from a higher spec car?

The £500+ a year tax does put me off though........ :o

sgould

• Aerobic
  • SST paid up supporter
  • Overboost
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 23 November 2017, 10:22:28 AM »
The pre-2007 audio system is totally non-standard.

The hole in the dashboard is not DIN shaped.  The unit you see is called the Infotainment Control Module. This ICM is the box that links the three different computer networks in the car.  The I-bus, the P-bus, and the O-bus.  Without it the car won’t go.  The I-bus controls all the car info, like the status of the locks, security, lights, seats, etc.  The P-bus controls the engine and ignition.  The O-bus is the optic fibre network and is solely used to control the audio.

The ICM knobs and buttons control the audio.  The tuner/amp is hidden behind the aircon panel. The CD player/changer sits below the tuner/amp. All units are powered, but the sound and switching control are by optic fibre.  The four speakers are wired to the tuner/amp.

If the car has 7 speakers, the extra three are fed from an amp under the passenger seat. Front door speakers and centre dash speaker. The amp is connected to the optics for sound and data.

If the car has 13 speakers, there are two 6 x 9 inch speakers in the rear shelf, with a further amp to power them, and four tweeters in parallel with the original four speakers. This amp is also connected to the optics.

A conversion to standard wired audio can be done after a fashion. The CD player is removed and replaced by a single DIN unit and all the speakers are connected to it. It is a completely standalone system.  The existing stuff has to stay in place with at least one speaker, possibly the centre dash speaker, left connected to it.  You need this to keep the car legal because all the indicator clicks and all the warning sounds are generated in, and played through, the existing audio system.
« Last Edit: 23 November 2017, 10:24:03 AM by sgould »

Steve McF

• Viggen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 23 November 2017, 10:30:31 AM »
Sounds a bit complex.

Are the different ICM units interchangeable, or just better to find a car with a higher spec unit to begin with to avoid all the hassle?

sgould

• Aerobic
  • SST paid up supporter
  • Overboost
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 23 November 2017, 10:36:18 AM »
They are interchangeable, but there’s no real point. 

The basic one - ICM1 - with no screen is fitted to cars with four speakers.

The one with the 3 inch green screen, ICM2, is fitted to cars with 7 or 13 speakers, but has no more function than ICM1, unless you have the Saab phone option fitted.  The screen shows the contact list, etc.  The phone buttons on the steering wheel only work with the Saab phone.  You cannot connect your own phone to the Saab phone system. 

Steve McF

• Viggen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 23 November 2017, 01:12:20 PM »
Right, I'm narrowing down my choice now then :D

ICM2 is what we want. 210bhp, ideally 04 - 55 plate....., and preferably an auto, but manual would do ;)

sgould

• Aerobic
  • SST paid up supporter
  • Overboost
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 23 November 2017, 05:06:54 PM »
ICM2 & seven speakers was was standard on the Vector Sport, but common on the Vector too.  But an option on the Aero, which was quite poorly specified apart from the engine and seats.