Author Topic: Interior LED Bulbs  (Read 3778 times)

fka

• Super Aero
  • Number of thanks: 7
    • View Profile
Interior LED Bulbs
« on: 18 January 2018, 09:51:34 PM »
I know this has been covered over at UKS and elsewhere but having just done this I've found some discrepancies with the 06> and pre-Edna models and some missing info.

Puddle lights X2 or x4= 42mm Festoon (I only have puddle lights on the 2 front doors, presume this must be a spec thing??)
Floor lights X2 = 42mm Festoon
Front courtesy x1 = 42mm Festoon
Rear courtesy x1 = 42mm Festoon
Glove Box 1x = 42mm Festoon
Boot (Estate) x2 = T10 W5W 501 (Housing with theft alarm sensor, believe all 06>). Or 42mm Festoon (Housing without sensor <06)
Rear reading lights x2 = BA9S T4W COB
Front spot (map) lamp x1 = 12v 6W W2,1x9,5d MiniXen 2886X (originally Osram)

I've replaced them all apart from the front spot lamp, which I'm still in two minds about. LED are available but if that light were in use while driving I don't think I'd want any brighter light up front.

Went for 6000k bulbs giving a slightly bluish white. Looks good and they're a good 50% brighter.

One thing I discovered, the glove box lamp housing had melted and the bulb was blackened. Having left my camera phone in there it was obvious the switch in the housing wasn't operating, so the lamp has been on permanently, hence the melting.
The white plastic slider that breaks the contact is in place and if I push it with my finger it breaks the circuit. I assume the arm on the glove box door must make contact with the slider when the door is closed, and I'm assuming that is simply not happening - Or the plastic slider is actually meant to be attached to the arm on the door and has broken off. I'll have to take the glove box out over the weekend for a better look.

This explains nicely why my original battery was losing charge when it appeared to be relatively healthy. I replaced the battery last month with a Yuasa silver from Halfords and haven't had any issues since, so the old battery must have been on it's last legs anyway.

D

« Last Edit: 18 January 2018, 09:57:06 PM by fka »

fka

• Super Aero
    • View Profile
Re: Interior LED Bulbs
« Reply #1 on: 20 January 2018, 12:30:29 PM »
Glove box light switch fixed, looks like someone has fit the metal housing/shield the wrong way round at some point.
First pic wrong, second pic correct.

Although I doubt this constituted much of a battery drain as I realised whilst working on it that without the ignition on the power is cut to the bulb after a number of minutes. I must have just had a duff battery!

sgould

• Aerobic
  • SST paid up supporter
  • Overboost
  • Number of thanks: 345
  • 2006 9-5 Aero estate - Hirsched.
    • View Profile
    • Christine Bennett - soprano
« Reply #2 on: 20 January 2018, 07:17:42 PM »
Nice cheap fix! :)
Help support SaabTechTalk by making a Lump Sum donation or by opening a subscription. 
Options available are in your Profile/Actions.

fka

• Super Aero
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 21 January 2018, 08:10:00 PM »
Well it would have been but I decided to replace the light unit as it was quite crispy and the slider for the switch is held in place a little precariously. £15 including postage, so not going to break the bank  :)

fka

• Super Aero
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 31 January 2018, 12:57:53 PM »
Discovered why the metal shield on the side of the box had been put on the wrong way round, the glove box door rattles now that it's oriented correctly!
I've just bent the two metal latches on back a little bit so the door is held tighter to the dash, which has sorted it out. A slightly more elegant solution I feel  ;D

sgould

• Aerobic
  • SST paid up supporter
  • Overboost
  • Number of thanks: 345
  • 2006 9-5 Aero estate - Hirsched.
    • View Profile
    • Christine Bennett - soprano
« Reply #5 on: 31 January 2018, 04:14:52 PM »
:D :D

I like a cheap repair!!
Help support SaabTechTalk by making a Lump Sum donation or by opening a subscription. 
Options available are in your Profile/Actions.