Author Topic: UV standard protection in 2005 vector sport windows  (Read 2952 times)

dave08

• Linear
  • Number of thanks: 0
    • View Profile
UV standard protection in 2005 vector sport windows
« on: 28 May 2018, 12:31:35 PM »
Hi guys. My 2005 9-3 is a vector sport. the windows are from Saint-Gobain and have a drawing reflecting sunlight. I believe these are called athermic glass?
Do they also provide any UV protection?
In my country we can only install a 10% less light film right behind the A pillar (much more allowed behind B) and it requires a special vehicle inspection and 150 €
I'm just curious.
thanks and regards!
Dave.

sgould

• Aerobic
  • SST paid up supporter
  • Overboost
  • Number of thanks: 345
  • 2006 9-5 Aero estate - Hirsched.
    • View Profile
    • Christine Bennett - soprano
Re: UV standard protection in 2005 vector sport windows
« Reply #1 on: 28 May 2018, 07:13:18 PM »
I’m not sure what the glass actually absorbs. Saab called it “heat absorbing” in their English handbook, but they have many errors in translation in their handbooks and manuals, so it may actually absorb something else!!
Help support SaabTechTalk by making a Lump Sum donation or by opening a subscription. 
Options available are in your Profile/Actions.

Audax

• SaabTechTalk Team
  • Wide open throttle
  • Number of thanks: 207
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 28 May 2018, 07:41:51 PM »
The glass has iron particles in it, they absorb the heat and when the car is moving the airflow over the glass removes the heat. No idea on UV.

Max Headroom

• SaabTechTalk Team
  • Viggen
  • Number of thanks: 62
  • 2006 93 TiD Convertible. Cotswolds, England
    • View Profile
    • Combat Stress
« Reply #3 on: 28 May 2018, 09:38:55 PM »

I found a few references about this - one stating that glass in general blocks UV....

UK SAABS

SAABNET

dave08

• Linear
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 29 May 2018, 09:40:02 AM »
Thanks guys.

Norfolk Jim

• SST paid up supporter
  • Viggen
  • Number of thanks: 27
  • No longer Saab now Nippon Express 4x4
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 29 May 2018, 01:29:44 PM »
I work on glass buildings 24/7 and normally tinted glass only absorbs heat and as said get's transferred elsewhere when it has an airflow over it. Reflective glass as sometimes seen in some cars - mirror like finish - has metallic oxide particles in them which reflect some heat in summer and can keep some heat in winter - the same as the inner pane of glass used in domestic insulated sealed units; often called Low 'E' (emissivity) glass such as Planitherm by Saint Gobian (who we specify the most) and so on. Interestingly the first top spec Saab 9000's had heated front screens which use a clear Low E coating on the inside which when electric was connected to cleared the screen as opposed Fords wires!!!!

I would say the only glass in our cars currently that give UV protection will be windscreens as they are laminated so contain the PV layer. I have never heard of UV protection toughened glass which most side windows are made from although I see some new high end cars now use laminated side glass. Toughened comes in various grades of tint for heat absorbency - the colour best is actually blue but this looks odd in most cars but interestingly Mercedes use blue!

When we do our expensive German wintergardens, laminated glass can be specified as an extra to prevent UV rays fading materials of furnishings inside.

BTW - yes you can get sunburn through normal glass

dave08

• Linear
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 29 May 2018, 01:58:21 PM »
yes, I also read something about newer high end vehicles nowadays also fit UV protection in the side windows. Only windscreen for us :)

phoenix

• SaabTechTalk-Team
  • Test pilot
  • Number of thanks: 108
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 29 May 2018, 07:11:13 PM »
There are two bands of UV light: UV-A and UV-B.

UV-A penetrates deep into the skin and is the primary cause of tanning. It plays a contributory role in skin cancer. It is not significantly attenuated by untreated glass.

UV-B cause the superficial sunburn (reddening) and contributes to tanning. It is the primary cause of skin cancer. It is signficantly attenuated by regular glass, regardless of treatment.