Author Topic: Removing rounded off bolts  (Read 2040 times)

Steve McF

• Viggen
  • Number of thanks: 10
  • 9-5 2.0LPT.....as was, and now 9-3ss 2.0T Aero :)
    • View Profile
Removing rounded off bolts
« on: 09 June 2018, 01:30:04 PM »
Hi,

does anyone have any tips for removing allen key head bolts where the allen key bit has rounded off, meaning I can't tighten it or loosen it? :o

Audax

• SaabTechTalk Team
  • Wide open throttle
  • Number of thanks: 207
    • View Profile
Re: Removing rounded off bolts
« Reply #1 on: 09 June 2018, 02:06:20 PM »
Depends on the bolt but I have had success using this kit before removing a damaged allen bolt from a cycle stem http://amzn.eu/gwApwXo your other option might be to use a strong epoxy glue and glue an allen driver in to it if you're in a hurry and it's not likely to be over torqued or rusted in place or sometimes you can hammer in a larger allen key but again if the bolt is seized or rusted it will probably make things worse. Another option is to use a dremel to cut a slot in the head and use a screw driver.

Which bolt is it in particular? If it's an expensive bit of car you may want to pay a professional to remove the bolt for you.

Steve McF

• Viggen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 09 June 2018, 04:23:12 PM »
Hi Audax, no it's not on a car, it's garden furniture. New bolts, some didn't line up properly, and as i tried to loosen and tighten various bolts with the allen key, some rounded off completely, leaving me stuck with part assembled chairs  :0

Got some new traditional bolts to use, but can't get the old ones out......
« Last Edit: 09 June 2018, 04:24:50 PM by Steve McF »

Audax

• SaabTechTalk Team
  • Wide open throttle
  • Number of thanks: 207
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 09 June 2018, 08:38:17 PM »
In that case the stud extractor from amazon should do the job nicely.

Steve McF

• Viggen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 10 June 2018, 01:14:56 PM »
Quick update - i managed to get the knackered bolts out using molegrips. Tried re-lining everything up and then used new M6 bolts from screwfix (still got 194 left over ;) ), and now the chairs are all together at last :)

The company we bought off has offered us 100 quid off what we paid as the patio set is end of line and they cannot get any more :)

So result, i think :D