Author Topic: What I Did To My Saab Today.  (Read 283495 times)

fka

• Super Aero
  • Number of thanks: 7
    • View Profile
Re: What I Did To My Saab Today.
« Reply #495 on: 31 August 2019, 09:18:06 PM »
Tackled my leaky rear offside light cluster. It's been swilling with water for a while and having just blown the second rear/brake light in as many months, thought I'd better have a look.
The connector was very wet, as were the terminals which were covered in salt deposits and had signs of aching.
Filled the cluster with water and couldn't see any leaking so can only assume water's been getting in via the connector or the seal around the bulb holder. Cleaned both connector and holder seals and smeared liberally with silicone grease, dried the cluster out, cleaned the terminals and put it all back together. Hopefully job done!

fka

• Super Aero
    • View Profile
« Reply #496 on: 29 September 2019, 09:37:10 PM »
Today I swore at my at my Saab several times  ;D

Drove up north for a birthday party. Realised this morning just before I started my drive back that the nearside rear tyre had 15psi in it. Had checked it before I set off on Friday. Front nearside was also down 3 or 4 psi. Had to stop 3 times this afternoon to top up the rear tyre, dropping about 10psi in an hour.
Noticed after a half hour of driving that we'd had icy cold air continually blowing on us despite the temp being set to 19 degrees. Climate control only blew hot air with the temp set to max... Also my OpenSID kept freezing.

Took the rear tyre off when I got home and fit the space saver so the Mrs doesn't have to worry about constantly pumping it up. No nails but a spray of soapy water showed the valve was badly leaking. Front nearside valve also leaking with a little less vigour. They were new at the end of June!

Ran an ACC calibration which didn't show any error and it did appear to be blowing warm air again, however I noticed the SID was displaying external temp as --- and I could no longer ender openSID. So I'm assuming a busted temperature sensor.

Annoying day but thankfully (hopefully) nothing too difficult or expensive to fix.

carrera

• SaabTechTalk-Team
  • Test pilot
  • Number of thanks: 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #497 on: 29 September 2019, 10:26:33 PM »
T
Noticed after a half hour of driving that we'd had icy cold air continually blowing on us despite the temp being set to 19 degrees. Climate control only blew hot air with the temp set to max.

Check the coolant level, low coolant also gives no heat......... and you're just showing off that your aircon is working  :)
9-5 Aero Estates, 2002 Cosmic Blue, 2003 Steel Grey, 2003 Graphite Green, 2004 9-5 Glacier Blue 2.0 saloon, 2004 Nocturne Blue 2.2 diesel estate, 2006 & 2008 Black Aero saloons, 1998 9000 CSE with Aero engine, 9-5 NG Aero XWD Turbo4, 9-5 NG Aero XWD TTiD

fka

• Super Aero
    • View Profile
« Reply #498 on: 30 September 2019, 10:10:06 AM »
Coolant level is good. It blew nice and hot, I just needed to turn the temp up to max to get it there. I'm assuming the ACC uses the external temp sensor?? I know a faulty external sensor prevents you entering opensid... Kinda hoping it's that simple.

I mean I don't like to brag but it's dam cold  8)

fka

• Super Aero
    • View Profile
« Reply #499 on: 30 September 2019, 08:38:20 PM »
I swore at it again today  :-X

Mrs has been driving round today with the space saver on and told me the ABS warning light and ESP 'off' lights had come on with a corresponding bong. Did initially think I'd go larger problems than just a failed outer temperature sensor but it seemed a bit of a coincidence that it coincided with having fitted the "funny tiny wheel" as my eldest calls it.
Seems to be noted on a few forum posts that the different size of the space makes that wheel turn at a different rate to the others, causing the ABS to throw its toys out of the pram. Panic over !

fka

• Super Aero
    • View Profile
« Reply #500 on: 02 October 2019, 09:26:09 PM »
Garage that fit my tyres sorted the two leaky valves today, the valve cores were loose. Guess I could have done that myself had a put a little more thought into it.
Mrs tells me the ABS warning and 'no ESP' lights went off shortly after leaving the garage, with 4 equally sized wheels on!

fka

• Super Aero
    • View Profile
« Reply #501 on: 05 October 2019, 07:46:13 PM »
Fit the new temperature sensor this afternoon. The old one had actually started to tell approximately the correct temperature this morning and my openSID started to work again along with the ACC, but thought it prudent to change it anyway.
Once I'd got the bumper off I spotted the connector for the bumper wiring loom was dangling around the bottom of the air box. Presumably the last person to have the bumper off hadn't put it back properly and as they'd also failed to re-secure the air box (Identified a few months back when tracing a knocking from the front end) I'm not too surprised..
Since the temp sensor failed on a long and very rainy drive, I'm now not sure if the connector had just been saturated and then eventually dried out. Or if the sensor has actually failed?!

Mrqng78

• Linear
  • Number of thanks: 0
  • Saab 93 linear.
    • View Profile
« Reply #502 on: 08 October 2019, 01:03:14 AM »
Hi, does anyone know the process of replacing the fuel filter on a 1.9tid? Mine is located in the engine bay.

Much appreciated.

fka

• Super Aero
    • View Profile
« Reply #503 on: 08 October 2019, 04:13:08 PM »
Seems to be different depending on year, pre 06 models have a different procedure to post 06.

fka

• Super Aero
    • View Profile
« Reply #504 on: 10 November 2019, 11:51:32 PM »
Fit a pair of new ball joints.
Offside was still very tight, nearside was free moving with a tiny bit of play. Probably wasted my time but at least had the chance to have a good poke around. Control arms are very rusty but solid, their bushes are good but the rubber does allow a fair bit of of lateral movement so might fork out for polys. Ultimately looking for a bit more stability at motorway speeds, for which I'm sure I just need a suspension refresh/upgrade..

Also ordered the wrong Aerotwin wiper blades AP22/24U rather than AR. I'm laying blame fully with an ambiguous website for that, although I should have know better  ::)

sgould

• Aerobic
  • SST paid up supporter
  • Overboost
  • Number of thanks: 345
  • 2006 9-5 Aero estate - Hirsched.
    • View Profile
    • Christine Bennett - soprano
« Reply #505 on: 24 November 2019, 05:54:56 PM »
Over the weekend I have removed the Kenwood satnav unit and almost fitted the Pioneer unit to replace it.  The only thing that's needed tomorrow is to fit the Pioneer microphone and run the lead around the windscreen edge.  The existing Kenwood microphone has a different connector :(

The Kenwood DNX4210DAB replaced the original Denso unit in 2013.  The Denso was never very useable and the maps were fixed.  You couldn't add you own points of Interest - except one by one...  Then it went wrong and needed a new DVD unit.  A replacement was cheaper.

The Kenwood was a disappointment.  I think it was rushed to market without proper testing.  It is slow to start up and has many niggling bugs. It too has started to become a bit unreliable on top of the bugs. It uses Garmin maps/satnav.

So I've ditched the satnav and gone for a Pioneer SPH-DA230DAB which hopefully will use the free satnav apps already available on my phone.

So far all the leads (except the mic) are connected and it lights up and the FM and DAB radio works.

If anyone wants a double DIN Kenwood head unit that works most of the time, it's available!
Help support SaabTechTalk by making a Lump Sum donation or by opening a subscription. 
Options available are in your Profile/Actions.

sgould

• Aerobic
  • SST paid up supporter
  • Overboost
    • View Profile
« Reply #506 on: 28 November 2019, 11:29:04 PM »
Today I found that there's an aerial fault.  it worked on the old set...

And I put the winter tyres on the Carlsson.

One oddity.  I put TyrePal tyres sensors on the winter tyres last year.  This year, for some reason, two tyres have sensors and two do not.  I need to find the missing ones.  When I ran all four wheels with no pressure sensors, the built-in TPMS system assumes "winter mode" and ignores the fact that there are no sensors.  The wheels with the OE TPMS sensors are nowhere near the car, but the car is showing a tyre pressure failure on the instrument panel.   It would seem that the TyrePal system uses industry standard transmission frequencies and are being read by the built-in TPMS....
Help support SaabTechTalk by making a Lump Sum donation or by opening a subscription. 

carrera

• SaabTechTalk-Team
  • Test pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #507 on: 04 December 2019, 08:28:02 AM »
Got an MOT on my dads 9000  Aero :) :Fawlty:

More like a recommissioning, lots of work involved starting with replacement clutch, then some minor chassis repairs, brake refurb and all sorts of stuff I spotted. It's been a while since I had a proper look at the car.

A few little jobs to do today and then I suppose I need to give her a deep clean and polish
9-5 Aero Estates, 2002 Cosmic Blue, 2003 Steel Grey, 2003 Graphite Green, 2004 9-5 Glacier Blue 2.0 saloon, 2004 Nocturne Blue 2.2 diesel estate, 2006 & 2008 Black Aero saloons, 1998 9000 CSE with Aero engine, 9-5 NG Aero XWD Turbo4, 9-5 NG Aero XWD TTiD

sgould

• Aerobic
  • SST paid up supporter
  • Overboost
    • View Profile
« Reply #508 on: 04 December 2019, 10:03:47 AM »
Well done! :)

I found the missing pressure sensors, and the failure warning has stopped, but Tech2 can spread no data. So it seems the car can only recognise their presence but not their info.

carrera

• SaabTechTalk-Team
  • Test pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #509 on: 08 December 2019, 03:37:41 PM »
Finished off the 9000 with a second wash and bit of a polish.

The dash top has been off for a few days troubleshooting an instrumentation fault. I think it's fixed and he's back from his hols this evening so time to deliver it back to him. I have thoroughly enjoyed driving my old Aero, and had forgotten just how luggable they are with the long gearing, it still pulls like a train. Here's a photo, as I suspect it will be a while before it's this clean again (don't look too closely) and it's always nice to see a 9000  :)