Author Topic: Bulkhead Seal & Cabin Noise  (Read 3802 times)

smurkenstein

• Vector
  • Number of thanks: 4
    • View Profile
Bulkhead Seal & Cabin Noise
« on: 31 August 2013, 06:11:58 PM »
Hi Guys

A few weeks back, I had my car in Hughes saab having various oil seals repaired. When I got the car back I complained about the noise the car was making - we quickly figured out that the rubber sealing the bulkhead around the steering column had become lose while they were making the repair. The seal was actually loose to the touch and flapping around. This meant a lot of engine noise was entering the car through the footwell. Hughes took the car in and after about 10 mins they had fixed it - well mostly.

The seal appears to be back in place, but there is still a lot of turbo noise in the cabin - I am still not happy about it. To be clear, the turbo is right next to this part of the bulk head and the sound is still leaking through.

Does anyone know, is it possible that the seal has not been fitted correctly? They must have refitted it through the footwell and not the engine side as the repair was very quick..
Thanks.

sgould

• Aerobic
  • SST paid up supporter
  • Overboost
  • Number of thanks: 345
  • 2006 9-5 Aero estate - Hirsched.
    • View Profile
    • Christine Bennett - soprano
Re: Bulkhead Seal & Cabin Noise
« Reply #1 on: 31 August 2013, 07:19:39 PM »
I can't see any mention of any seal around the steering column in the instructions to remove the steering column or the steering rack.  So it must be simple or obvious......

I think that you may have to get down and have a look yourself and see if you can see daylight.
Help support SaabTechTalk by making a Lump Sum donation or by opening a subscription. 
Options available are in your Profile/Actions.

sgould

• Aerobic
  • SST paid up supporter
  • Overboost
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 31 August 2013, 07:22:54 PM »
Parts list shows the "countershaft".  Looks to have the rubber seal and the unit all in one.  Has it been damaged?

Help support SaabTechTalk by making a Lump Sum donation or by opening a subscription. 

sgould

• Aerobic
  • SST paid up supporter
  • Overboost
    • View Profile

Audax

• SaabTechTalk Team
  • Wide open throttle
  • Number of thanks: 207
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 31 August 2013, 08:01:08 PM »
Once they come out they are a complete pain to get back in again correctly. My guess would be that they thought they'd got it right but it's not quite there. I once had an apprentice who removed one for some unknown reason, he was not popular afterwards as the customer suddenly noticed lots of road noise after some work. I think in the end we had to put it on a ramp to check the fit under the bonnet but it was some time ago.

smurkenstein

• Vector
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 31 August 2013, 09:11:45 PM »
Thanks fellas. I'm pretty sure it's the b207 piece that you have linked there Sg. There is some play in the seal to touch. I'll try to get down under there tomorrow and maybe take some photos.

smurkenstein

• Vector
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 01 September 2013, 10:13:46 AM »
Here are some photos, not sure how it should be fitted but there are two skirts - I am guessing one should be inside the footwell (see photo - mine is outside) and a second skirt with a seal.  Any thoughts? Top photo is footwell.

It would be great if anyone else has a photo for comparison.
« Last Edit: 01 September 2013, 10:22:30 AM by smurkenstein »

Audax

• SaabTechTalk Team
  • Wide open throttle
  • Number of thanks: 207
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 01 September 2013, 11:24:40 AM »
I recall (but might not be remembering correctly) that there's an outer and inner skirt and possibly a smaller bump in the middle that sits in a ridge in the chassis. both the outer and inner should be pulled all the way through the respective holes if not it will be noisy.