Author Topic: Rear parking sensors - Aftermarket or Saab?  (Read 2358 times)

fka

• Super Aero
  • Number of thanks: 7
    • View Profile
Rear parking sensors - Aftermarket or Saab?
« on: 07 March 2020, 06:25:05 PM »
Since I was in the boot removing trim to get at the petrol filler flap lock, I decided to pull the other side out as I'd been wanting to remove the CD autochanger to free up the cubby for storage.

I discovered that the parking sensor install is very tin pot, it doesn't appear to be a Saab install.
Firstly the sound is via a small buzzer tucked behind the rear arch trim, just behind the seat.
Secondly I can't disable it by hitting the cancel button on the steering wheel.

Could anybody confirm or deny if this looks like a factory installed kit?

« Last Edit: 07 March 2020, 06:34:34 PM by fka »

sgould

• Aerobic
  • SST paid up supporter
  • Overboost
  • Number of thanks: 345
  • 2006 9-5 Aero estate - Hirsched.
    • View Profile
    • Christine Bennett - soprano
Re: Rear parking sensors - Aftermarket or Saab?
« Reply #1 on: 07 March 2020, 07:11:46 PM »
That's an aftermarket kit.   In the estate the parking sensor control is under the floor behind the back seat and looks like this.  It has the red Saab wedgelock connector.

In the saloon the same box is further to the left and between the LH seat pillar and the wheel arch.
Help support SaabTechTalk by making a Lump Sum donation or by opening a subscription. 
Options available are in your Profile/Actions.

fka

• Super Aero
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 07 March 2020, 07:51:36 PM »
Thanks Will.
Do you know if the loom is pre-installed for the Saab kit? I may go hunting for a salvaged part if it is.

sgould

• Aerobic
  • SST paid up supporter
  • Overboost
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 07 March 2020, 08:21:26 PM »
I don't know. Mine came with everything installed.  But if your car has a connector it will end with the red wedgelock tied into the loom behind the back seat on the left.  My old car had another pair of similar connectors for the earlier CD changer as well.  Although my Dame Edna has a black connector for the CD changer.
Help support SaabTechTalk by making a Lump Sum donation or by opening a subscription. 

fka

• Super Aero
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 07 March 2020, 09:48:33 PM »
I'll have another poke around tomorrow.
Cheers

fka

• Super Aero
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 08 March 2020, 05:52:02 PM »
There's no connector behind the rear seats and looking at the fitting instructions for the Saab kit, it looks like you have to run cable all the way to the reverse gear switch, removing the centre console amongst other things. So scrub that idea.

In the process of messing around in the region of the aftermarket kit, it's stopped working! There's no power getting to the parking sensor unit when in reverse. There's two very light wires running from the unit up to the cable route on the nearside, with the positive spliced with a green/white wire on the rear arch just behind the rear seat side bolster, and the ground to a black wire in the same bundle. The green/white wire I believe goes to the reverse lights and they are working. So I assume I've somehow broken one of the wires powering the parking sensor unit.
I've given up for the weekend but will have to run new cable back to the sensor unit next weekend.
Two steps forward and one back!
« Last Edit: 08 March 2020, 06:40:07 PM by fka »

fka

• Super Aero
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 12 March 2020, 03:43:18 PM »
Got the parking sensors working again. Whichever ground wire the fitter spliced into was no longer a ground! I'm assuming it must have been something to do with the CD auto changer as that and cutting the loop on the trailer electrics loom are the only things I did the day it stopped working. I don't see any connection between cutting the loop on the trailer electrics and any grounds, so it must be linked to me disconnection the autochanger.
Either way, I ran a new ground to the grounding point for the trailer electrics and it's working again.

sgould

• Aerobic
  • SST paid up supporter
  • Overboost
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 12 March 2020, 03:54:15 PM »
 :thumbsup: :thumbsup: