Author Topic: Blistering appeared :o  (Read 2422 times)

Steve McF

• Viggen
  • Number of thanks: 10
  • 9-5 2.0LPT.....as was, and now 9-3ss 2.0T Aero :)
    • View Profile
Blistering appeared :o
« on: 11 May 2021, 10:27:29 PM »
Well, I got the Aero out of the garage for the first time in about a month, and thought I'd take it for a blast up the A46 and M40. It was wet.....very wet, but the car didn't miss a beat despite it's imprisonment in the garage whilst we had had a skip on the drive as our bathroom was being replaced.

It felt a bit heavy, so after I fuelled him up, I put air in all the tyres which seemed to be low, but whilst doing that I noticed a couple of little bulges on the top of the LHS rear wheelarch. I thought they were water droplets at first, but ran my finger over them.....and they didn't wipe away. I'd never noticed this whilst the car was parked in the garage, so not sure when it started, or if the excessive wet that I had driven through had finally seeped through a couple of weak spots.

When the weather is a bit better and the bodywork dry again, might need to get that looked at!! When I had the arches done a couple of years ago, my intention was to get the underside of the car waxoyled/undersealed, but I never managed to get round to it, and of course this last year has been a bit of a write off!!

« Last Edit: 12 May 2021, 11:43:18 AM by Steve McF »

Steve McF

• Viggen
    • View Profile
Re: Blistering appeared :o
« Reply #1 on: 13 May 2021, 01:12:12 PM »
Well I've never seen rust increase so rapidly!!!!! I washed the car last night, and the two blisters I noticed the night before seem to have spread a bit, probably now double the size they were only 24 hours earlier!!!!
 :o :o :o

sgould

• Aerobic
  • SST paid up supporter
  • Overboost
  • Number of thanks: 345
  • 2006 9-5 Aero estate - Hirsched.
    • View Profile
    • Christine Bennett - soprano
« Reply #2 on: 13 May 2021, 02:54:38 PM »
If the paint is bubbling, it's rusting through from behind.  You will need to get behind and treat it from there, then once the rust is dead, you can fill the front and paint.  I have had success with Bilt Hamber Hydrate 80 when dealing with rust.
Help support SaabTechTalk by making a Lump Sum donation or by opening a subscription. 
Options available are in your Profile/Actions.

TomPaine

• SST paid up supporter
  • High Output Turbo
  • Number of thanks: 16
  • MY04 9-5 Aero auto estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 13 May 2021, 06:08:15 PM »
Interested to note that you say it's garaged. The MOT reports on my 04 9-5 seem to have mentioned rust more now that mine is garaged, though of course that also correlates with longevity. I am rigorous about only putting it away bone dry, but I sometimes wonder whether it's worth the bother.

Steve McF

• Viggen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 14 May 2021, 11:30:41 PM »
Got a quick pic.....before I put him in the garage ahead of the rain this weekend :D

Steve McF

• Viggen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 14 May 2021, 11:41:22 PM »
I need to get the wheelarch liner off and have a look at the other side of the flange. Concerned the other side of this edge might be in a box section, in which case I assume I'd need to drill a small hole in the wheelarch to be able the get some Hydrate 80 in there and then possibly Waxoyl spray..... anyone else done this sort of thing before?
« Last Edit: 15 May 2021, 10:51:27 AM by Steve McF »

David

• Turbo
  • Number of thanks: 13
  • Great Western Saabs
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 17 May 2021, 09:24:48 AM »
Not sure if this helps, but the 9-5 has removable wheel liners  - there is no need to drill any holes as with a bit of investigation you should find a suitable access point - after all the water got in there in the first place.
Once you have treated the rust, paint it first (Hammerite is ideal) then apply the waxoyl or in my case Tetroseal.

I made up a 'Heath Robinsonish' type of pump from an old fence sprayer for the general area along with a spare nozzle from an old aerosol cavity wax can. IT worked surprisingly well, especially as you can create far higher pressure resulting in a much wider and finer spread.

« Last Edit: 17 May 2021, 10:33:40 AM by David »

Steve McF

• Viggen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 17 May 2021, 12:23:36 PM »
Hi David, in that second pic, how did you manage to get the nozzle to the other edges of the wheel arch?

David

• Turbo
  • Number of thanks: 13
  • Great Western Saabs
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 18 May 2021, 09:26:49 AM »
Morning Steve,

I would suggest removing the rear lights on a 9-3, though I am not that familiar with their construction.
On the 9-5, I removed the wheel arch liners, which gives great access - it is very straightforward to do, 
The spray system was used for all those difficult areas you cannot reach. Mix 2 parts waxoyl to 1 part white spirit, then stand the container in some very hot water for 10 minutes before use.Ensure you get the maximum pressure in the container to ensure a fine wide spray pattern. If you do decide to follow this method make sure you have some old cloths and plastic containers to collect the excess waxoyl - it can get rather messy! 
Finally be warned, it will smell in the cabin for a few days until the wax hardens, so try and keep the windows open when possible.

PS: I used Flag rust remover and paint (made for the marine industry) for the inner arches, I also used rust remover followed with Tetroseal sprayed on to the chassis.

« Last Edit: 18 May 2021, 09:34:48 AM by David »

Geoff1951

• SST paid up supporter
  • Test pilot
  • Number of thanks: 22
  • Sadly Saabless, but with a new mistress.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 18 May 2021, 04:06:42 PM »
Rather late to this thread.  I used Waxoyl a lot in the 70s and 80s, largely but not exclusively on cars that had limited factory-applied rustproofing.  I never held on to them long enough to see how well it worked.

Looking now, Dinitrol seems to be more widely preferred over Waxoyl because it has a rust inhibitor, gets into crevices more easily, and being solvent- rather than oil-based as is Waxoyl it "dries" or cures fully whereas Waxoyl will always become slightly fluid when warm, causing some slight slip from vertical surfaces but also giving off an aroma.  That's what the internet says but I do remember the near-permanent smell.  I also recall Waxoyl dripping when being applied and making a heck of a mess on the garage floor the first time I used it. The second time I put plenty of old cardboard under the car.

sgould

• Aerobic
  • SST paid up supporter
  • Overboost
  • Number of thanks: 345
  • 2006 9-5 Aero estate - Hirsched.
    • View Profile
    • Christine Bennett - soprano
« Reply #10 on: 18 May 2021, 06:05:42 PM »
If i was doing this I would only use waxoyl in areas that only see condensation and drips, like the inside of doors and box sections.  Under wheel arches you need to sort thr rust first and then use a more durable waxy underseal.

This looks good https://www.bilthamber.com/corrosion-protection-and-rust-treatments/dynax-s50  but I would kill the rust with the Bilt Hamber Hydrate 80 and fill and paint before the wax is applied.
Help support SaabTechTalk by making a Lump Sum donation or by opening a subscription. 
Options available are in your Profile/Actions.

Steve McF

• Viggen
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 20 June 2021, 10:10:15 AM »
I don't know if the rear wheelarch edges are just a flange with a turned edge, or if they are part of a box section. If they are the latter, how can they be accessed to spray waxoyl etc in?

On another thread on another Saab forum, someone suggested that it can be accessed from behind the carpet in the boot. The poster did not post any further details!!!

Anyone know of the best and most effective access points that would allow the generous spraying of Waxoyl behind the whole wheelarch edge?