Author Topic: Stuck in 2nd with clutch pedal down  (Read 2202 times)

Steve McF

• Viggen
  • Number of thanks: 10
  • 9-5 2.0LPT.....as was, and now 9-3ss 2.0T Aero :)
    • View Profile
Stuck in 2nd with clutch pedal down
« on: 16 September 2021, 06:46:32 PM »
Had a strange occurrence coming home from work in my Peugeot 107 tonight. Pulled up in traffic, and then could not get the gear lever out of second gear to put it back into first.

Clutch is fine, not slipping, and I've never had the issue before. As the traffic was about to start moving again, I was getting a bit frantic but the lever was locked in position.

I lifted the clutch pedal thinking it was going to stall, but I got a slight grinding of the gear noise, so put the clutch down again, and then was able to get it out of second and into first on time to pull away!!!

But it did it again a minute or two further down the road. I pulled over, and after a bit of messing about, got it out of second and was on my way again.

Question is, what could be wrong? Car has about 70k on the clock, full history, recent service/MOT, and I've had the car for 10 years. Any ideas??
« Last Edit: 16 September 2021, 07:08:09 PM by Steve McF »

sgould

• Aerobic
  • SST paid up supporter
  • Overboost
  • Number of thanks: 345
  • 2006 9-5 Aero estate - Hirsched.
    • View Profile
    • Christine Bennett - soprano
Re: Stuck in 2nd with clutch pedal down
« Reply #1 on: 16 September 2021, 08:47:22 PM »
Is the gearchange a rod or a cable? 
Help support SaabTechTalk by making a Lump Sum donation or by opening a subscription. 
Options available are in your Profile/Actions.

wrighar

• SaabTechTalk Team
  • High Output Turbo
  • Number of thanks: 15
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 18 September 2021, 12:51:42 PM »
Plastic rods if anything like our old 206.

We had a couple snap in the 8 years we owned ours and it casued 'quite some fun' driving it like that.

ScarbSaab

• SST paid up supporter
  • LPT
  • Number of thanks: 14
  • 04 9-5 Aero Estate, 08 9-5 Aero Saloon
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 20 September 2021, 07:56:37 PM »
Similar to wrighar. My father-in-law's Avensis had a similar issue, which was fixed with an new bit of plastic on the clutch pedal according to my favourite mechanic. It wears and breaks, allowing play in the linkage. F-i-l had been lifting the clutch pedal before pressing on it to get around the problem. I didn't see what it was myself, but I was happy with an £8 fix which is still working.

Steve McF

• Viggen
  • Number of thanks: 10
  • 9-5 2.0LPT.....as was, and now 9-3ss 2.0T Aero :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 22 September 2021, 03:23:57 PM »
I do hope you're right and it is actually something simple. Just got the car through and MOT and service, and had a couple of other things fixed, and was hoping to use the car for my daughter to learn to drive in, but need to make sure it isn't doing this!!!!! :o

Our mechanic is on holiday, so the 107 has been quietly parked up in our garage awaiting his return, and the Saab has been back on commuter duty!!! :)