Author Topic: Clunk - suspension front LHS  (Read 8270 times)

gtrombone

• Saabisti
  • Number of thanks: 0
    • View Profile
Clunk - suspension front LHS
« on: 04 March 2018, 11:49:15 AM »
Hi all,

New user, tried a few searches and found nothing within the Classic 9-3 forums that resembled my problem. I’m hoping someone might recognise my problem and that it is an inexpensive fix (ROFL).

I have a 2001 9-3 Convertible and have owned it for 3 years. I currently have a clunking sound which is consistent under certain circumstances. I’ve been to three mechanics and have had several fixes completed, none of which fixed the problem.

Here’s a rough sequence of events:

- soon after I bought it I noticed a slight click from the front left wheel area when reversing from my garage, close to full right-hand lock. It’s a moderate decline from my garage, not sure whether that’s a factor or not.

- at some stage during the following attempted fixes the click developed into a clunk which soon became quite a strong clunk (it turns heads when I’m parking!). For 18+ months the clunk has sounded like two large spanners/wrenches being dropped. I don’t remember the sequence of repairs nor the point when the click became a clunk.

- while the noise at first only happened on right hand turns (near full lock) it can now be heard during normal driving when the weight of the car shifts forwards and backwards (nb. It needs to alternate - it will clunk once forward, then once backwards and so on, but not twice forward or backwards in a row. A bit like something leans into the front then shifts back and vice versus). The clunk is louder when reversing on a right turn for example during reverse parking. Frenquently passers-by will look to see if I’ve hit something or run over something.

- I’ve had three mechanics look at the problem: my trusted mechanic of 20+ years who didn’t know SAABs very well but is a straight shooter; plus two others who work on SAABs more regularly. They all assure me that it is safe to drive as is and that a repair of some sort at some time will fix it. No guarantees which repair it will be but they will try if I agree to pay. Because the issue only sounds when the car is moving it is too dangerous for anyone to stick their nose in to find out exactly what is wrong.

I’ve paid for

- replacing the CV (the general consensus was that it sounded like the CV had gone)

- replacing the control arm

- various boots or bushes (sorry - non-technical person)

So now, the next recommendation is to replace the wheel bearings.

Could anyone confirm this? I know this car costs to keep on the road but I’m not getting value for money at this rate of replacing parts which don’t fix the problem.

Many thanks for reading this far and for any hints!

Cheers, Gus

fka

• Super Aero
  • Number of thanks: 7
    • View Profile
Re: Clunk - suspension front LHS
« Reply #1 on: 04 March 2018, 12:51:25 PM »
It could be the exhaust catching on something, failed hanger. This might be accentuated if you have worn engine mounts allowing the more movement of the exhaust.

When reversing on full lock in my OG93 if I got close to stalling I could make the exhaust bash on one of the heat shields and that was with healthy engine mounts and a good set of exhaust hangers..

gtrombone

• Saabisti
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 04 March 2018, 01:15:29 PM »
Thanks fka, that’s a new thought. I’ll check it out. The car came to me with an aftermarket exhaust system so if it doesn’t fit exactly right that would explain it...Thanks.

Any other thoughts are welcome.

sgould

• Aerobic
  • SST paid up supporter
  • Overboost
  • Number of thanks: 345
  • 2006 9-5 Aero estate - Hirsched.
    • View Profile
    • Christine Bennett - soprano
« Reply #3 on: 04 March 2018, 04:43:59 PM »
Have you checked that you have the correct brake pads?  If they are loose, you could get the symptoms you describe.

It also sounds as if it could be an engine mounting, which would also affect the exhaust.
Help support SaabTechTalk by making a Lump Sum donation or by opening a subscription. 
Options available are in your Profile/Actions.

gtrombone

• Saabisti
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 05 March 2018, 02:04:41 PM »
Today I’ve crawled under the car and had a look to see whether there was anything visible to the untrained eye around the exhaust area. What am I looking for? Just simply some play in the exhaust?

The exhaust runs through the centre at the front and the noise is definitely out on the left.

I did have engine mounts looked at. One was replaced and another was put off for later. What will I see if the engine mounts are failing and causing this noise?

Sorry to be so simple about things. I don’t have enough knowhow to deduce things myself so I’m left paying for repairs trusting that it’s going to solve the noise. If there is something I can physically try on the car without troubling a mechanic I’m willing to give it a go - I just need specific directions.

Regarding brake pads, I am due to have my brakes done very soon so I’ll ask whether they are loose or incorrect - thanks sgould.

fka

• Super Aero
  • Number of thanks: 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 05 March 2018, 02:16:35 PM »
You can grab the tail pipe of the exhaust and give it a good old shake around. Specifically you are looking for the rubber hangers that attach the exhaust to the underside of the car, are any missing or split to the extent that they are no longer taking the weight of the exhaust. Also look at the aluminium heat shields, I think there are 2 on the 9-3, are they loose?

David

• Turbo
  • Number of thanks: 13
  • Great Western Saabs
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 06 March 2018, 01:30:26 PM »
Had a similar problem on mine. Turned put to be the drop links.

sgould

• Aerobic
  • SST paid up supporter
  • Overboost
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 06 March 2018, 03:41:46 PM »
Drop links are only found out by replacement.  If they knock, they only do it when on the road.  They don't knock when you try to check them with the car stationary.
Help support SaabTechTalk by making a Lump Sum donation or by opening a subscription. 

gtrombone

• Saabisti
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 07 March 2018, 03:04:52 AM »
Thanks David, good to hear from someone who had the same symptom.

I’ll keep you updated on the repair:

a) brake pads are due for replacement so that will be dealt with
b) I can’t find any looseness in the exhaust system and the sound is definitely isolated to the front left but I’ll keep this on my list for now
c) drop link (this attaches to the sway bar right?) is a new contender

sgould

• Aerobic
  • SST paid up supporter
  • Overboost
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 07 March 2018, 09:23:10 AM »
Yes the drop links sit between the strut and the sway bar/anti-roll bar.

On the 1998-2002 9-3 they are quite short.  The ball joints wear, but only make a noise when the car is moving, unless they are very badly worn.

gtrombone

• Saabisti
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 21 June 2018, 10:11:00 AM »
Hi all,
Thanks for the helpful suggestions. Funds have prevented progress until now but we have success!

About a month ago I had the brakes done and it had no effect on the clunk unfortunately.

Then last week I had 2 jobs worked on, one of which has fixed the nose.

The top strut mount on the front left was broken so it was fixed - I think this was it.

At the same time my mechanic replaced the steering arms/tie rods/ball joints/bushes. Perhaps this has helped?

Also I have put a new set of tyres on (uneven wear) and had a full wheel alignment, although the shocks are worn so it’s not perfect yet.

But the clunk is history.

I hope this may help another SAAB owner out at some point.

Cheers, Gus

gtrombone

• Saabisti
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 20 August 2018, 02:48:19 AM »
G’day,

Guess what? My clunk has returned.

After the work that was done everything went well, no noise.

I had a problem with a dodgy wheel alignment that was done and ruined 2 tyres but the business replaced the tyres and the alignment is now fine. But....

Gradually, the pattern of the clink starting to return has come full circle.

Could any kind knowledgeable person  make a suggestion of what may have been tightened that would have come loose or what is wearing out that would cause this problem to reoccur so quickly?

Gratefully yours, Gus

sgould

• Aerobic
  • SST paid up supporter
  • Overboost
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 20 August 2018, 09:40:45 AM »
What make of top mounts were fitted?

A couple of years ago I fitted new mounts that came “free” with the new Bilstein shock absorbers. They were unbranded and one fell apart in less than 500 miles! :(

You can do a quick check for this. Leave the car sitting on the ground.  Unbolt the cap over the top mount. With the car on the ground, the mount should not move, so you can have a look and put the bolts back without the holes going out of alignment.  When I did this, there were loose rubber shavings in there.

But, if the drop links were not renewed, I would still favour them as the culprit.

ade wilkins

• Airflow
  • Number of thanks: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 26 August 2018, 12:41:35 PM »
its not the timing side engine mount broken and the noise reverberating to the left ?
« Last Edit: 16 September 2018, 08:21:24 AM by ade wilkins »
SAAB is a SAAB, wether it be a GM, Lancia/Fiat or a V4 with a Ford Taunus engine in it, SAAB.