Author Topic: The Saab Removable Tow Bar - How it works  (Read 35894 times)

sgould

• Aerobic
  • SST paid up supporter
  • Overboost
  • Number of thanks: 345
  • 2006 9-5 Aero estate - Hirsched.
    • View Profile
    • Christine Bennett - soprano
The Saab Removable Tow Bar - How it works
« on: 07 July 2011, 10:24:10 PM »
I have a Bosal removable tow bar on my 9-5 estate.  It was the one fitted by Saab if a car was supplied with a bar already fitted.

I have seen many posts asking what the bar looks like and how it works.

There's a full series of photos showing how it fits on my webspace here

But the overall appearance when in use is like this:

Help support SaabTechTalk by making a Lump Sum donation or by opening a subscription. 
Options available are in your Profile/Actions.

cattytown

• Saabisti
  • Number of thanks: 1
    • View Profile
Re: The Saab Removable Tow Bar - How it works
« Reply #1 on: 08 July 2011, 08:00:21 AM »
I have one of those, but I just can't detach it at the moment - anyone got any tips I can try?

idlerider

• Vector
  • Number of thanks: 5
  • 2003 9-5 Aero estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 08 July 2011, 06:40:12 PM »
I have one of those, but I just can't detach it at the moment - anyone got any tips I can try?

They corrode inside. Unlock with the key (leaving it in the barrel), push the lock unit towards the towbar against the spring, and turn it with a "Stilson" or pipe wrench until it locks open. Remove and clean.

sgould

• Aerobic
  • SST paid up supporter
  • Overboost
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 09 July 2011, 12:21:15 AM »
When I got the car the towbar was off the car but I don't think it had been used.  It needed a lot of lube to free it up.

With it seized on the car.  You are pushing the handle in the quarter of an inch before turning it? I got caught out by that as I'd forgotten how it worked :-[
Help support SaabTechTalk by making a Lump Sum donation or by opening a subscription. 

cattytown

• Saabisti
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 10 July 2011, 10:07:25 PM »
Tha could have gone better. Tried lube, and thought I felt it going a little further, so tried a little harder. The shaft looks like whitemetal...

Maybe a phonecall to Bosal...

sgould

• Aerobic
  • SST paid up supporter
  • Overboost
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 11 July 2011, 12:12:49 AM »
Arrrrgh! :(

Not good.

Norfolk Jim

• SST paid up supporter
  • Viggen
  • Number of thanks: 27
  • No longer Saab now Nippon Express 4x4
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 11 July 2011, 11:24:21 AM »
I'll take some pictures of mine which is a Westfalia removable which is so simple.

Basically you remove the plug that fills the hole and push the bar into it. Around the outside is a neat shaped nut about 65mm dia that you simply wind in until you feel soe resistance. You then haev a large alloy spanner that fits over this (doesn't scratch as coated) and hand tighten. Push split pin through and job done.

Had it on car now for 2 years and even though not used loads it has never been a problem to remove or fit.

When off car it has plug that neatly fits and hides hole.

Expensive but excellent.

Oh did find one photo

cattytown

• Saabisti
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 20 July 2011, 08:05:46 AM »
A bit moot now. The car has started losing coolant, and being a 3.0 TiD we all know what that could indicate, so it is going. I get an MG ZTT shortly.

Paul

Norfolk Jim

• SST paid up supporter
  • Viggen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 20 July 2011, 08:42:46 AM »
Wow Cattytown.

That really is a comedown. Are you prepared to spend a lot of money on petrol?

A friend had one of those for 3 months and got rid of it for 2 reasons.

1 - it was a Rover
2 - it only at best did 28 mpg!

Good luck

cattytown

• Saabisti
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 20 July 2011, 09:14:25 AM »
Why would I spend money on Petrol? I am getting the Diesel variant!

I fully expect it to not be as comfortable as the Saab - for that I would probably need to be looking at an E-Class, but they are way out of budget. In a way I don't have much choice. It is stretching my budget already, and is the best option I can see quickly. Heck, what I am paying for the car is less then I have spent on repairs to the Saab! (I think I now have the full house on problems with it) I also need something quickly as the rate the saab is losing coolant, it could be 10 mins away from complete disaster, and I am travelling down to Southampton shortly.

Paul.

Baxlin

• Linear
  • Number of thanks: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 11 August 2011, 05:05:04 PM »
For more comfort, try the 75 Estate, rather than the ZT-T.

And as for "get rid because it's a Rover", well in my 5 year ownership of a Rover 75 Diesel Conn SE, the reason I DIDN't get rid during the 5 years was because it was a Rover 75, and such a good car.  Yes it did go wrong, but frankly not as often as my current Saab, I'm sorry to say, much though I enjoy owning the Saab.

I got rid in the end because I simply wanted a change, so I bought a Lime Yellow 9-3 150 TiD Convertible.  Didn't think I could get more of a change!!

With full confidence I sold the Rover to my son-in-law, who still uses it for his daily commute to Heathrow, steady speeds on the M25, upper 40's/lower 50's mpg week in week out.  Coming up to 190,000 miles now, on a 51 plate.

If you do buy a 75/ZT-T, you must join the 75andZT web forums, of which there are several.

malcolm

cattytown

• Saabisti
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 11 August 2011, 05:10:18 PM »
Choice was limited by a deadline and availability! It was basically decide I needed to change on a Monday when the following Sunday I needed a car capable of a 750 mile trip with the family and luggage.

I have found a few of the forums. Thanks.

Paul.

Baxlin

• Linear
  • Number of thanks: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 16 August 2011, 10:53:52 AM »
I have found a few of the forums. Thanks.

Paul.
One recurring exhortation - Check the plenum chamber!!!!  Possible drowned ECU if you don't!

cattytown

• Saabisti
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 16 August 2011, 02:16:50 PM »
I am aware of that, and fan resistors, intercooler oils seals, MAFs and airbag lights.

It appears every car has its foibles...

P.

Norfolk Jim

• SST paid up supporter
  • Viggen
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 18 November 2011, 04:46:59 PM »
Back on topic - I had the Westfalia bar on my Aero which I sold in July. I didn't have time to take the main frame off but as in no hurry the chap said he'd do it when MOT. That was couple of weeks ago (she sailed through he tells me).

SO i thought - how easy is it to fit it on my Vector Sport estate. Well the answer is piece of cake.

Wiring first - plug and play in back and followed wire across bottom of doors to. Swapped blank switch for lamp and that part took all of 15 mins.

Open tailgate, remove back cover and small cubby holes along each side; remove foam pads (2 each side) and undo the 2 or 4 bolts in those slots. Easy for me with small hands but hard with chubby hands! Undo 2 bolts each side of wheel arch holding bumper and gently snap off bumper from body then pull all away.

Remove rear towing eye and keep bolts.

Fix towbar frame onto bumper steel main frame in hole already there threaded.

Gently offer bumper back up not forgetting to remove centre plug where wires go through and push connections in.

Refit bumper and all parts - done in 30 mins.

Check operation - perfect - 5od paying 45 quid to a fitter - oh and don't forget to put fuse in.

One operational towbar - simples