Author Topic: Instant mpg  (Read 11485 times)

Geoff1951

• SST paid up supporter
  • Test pilot
  • Number of thanks: 22
  • Sadly Saabless, but with a new mistress.
    • View Profile
Re: Instant mpg
« Reply #15 on: 06 December 2013, 09:50:04 PM »
now this IS going off topic!   :)

Norfolk Jim

• SST paid up supporter
  • Viggen
  • Number of thanks: 27
  • No longer Saab now Nippon Express 4x4
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 07 December 2013, 05:02:23 PM »
And...................................... ???

Geoff1951

• SST paid up supporter
  • Test pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 07 December 2013, 05:53:48 PM »
It's usually me that does it !  :)

nine-fiver

• Aero
  • Number of thanks: 30
  • Hirsched
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 08 December 2013, 08:43:39 AM »
Mpg! c'mon guys...get with the program and think in Liters/100km. You know it makes sense...
Lower numbers are better. I can get 5.1 put of my Hirsch on the highway....

Audax

• SaabTechTalk Team
  • Wide open throttle
  • Number of thanks: 207
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 08 December 2013, 10:32:41 AM »
Mpg! c'mon guys...get with the program and think in Liters/100km. You know it makes sense...

Aye, MPG is a stupid way to compare fuel usage but the trouble is most car trip computers when set for other measurements as used in the UK will only do MPG, a better measurement here would be Litres/100Miles but I don't see that going to catch on any time soon. The really crazy thing is you haven't been able to buy fuel as delivered in gallons for many years now!

Steve440

• High Output Turbo
  • Number of thanks: 17
  • Life is to short to drive slowly
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 08 December 2013, 04:41:19 PM »
The problem is a lot of use over 40's  ;) can relate to a gallon but if they did mpl it would horrifying.

I know if my car is doing 30 mpg it is OK and if it is doing 40MPG I am very happy. 6.67 mpl or  8.89 mpl does not sound good even if it is the same in truth. When I was at school we were taught metric and imperial but as soon as we went out in the real world everything was imperial. I worked in the aircraft industry for many years and the majority of that was imperial.

My kids are under 20 and they have done metric all there life but if I ask them how far it is to x they tell me in miles not km. They drink pints of beer and  and when they pass there test they will have wheels on there car which will be measured in inches but the width will be in mm  :o.

My cars will always do MPG what ever the currant measurement are.

Going back to the original question has anybody found a suitable device to give me this information that will work on a 9-5?

My favorite is the scanguage e as the manufacturer has replied to my emails and reckons it will work fine where as none of the others have even replied.  ???

Steve

Norfolk Jim

• SST paid up supporter
  • Viggen
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 09 December 2013, 10:48:03 AM »
The problem is a lot of use over 40's  ;) can relate to a gallon but if they did mpl it would horrifying.

I know if my car is doing 30 mpg it is OK and if it is doing 40MPG I am very happy. 6.67 mpl or  8.89 mpl does not sound good even if it is the same in truth. When I was at school we were taught metric and imperial but as soon as we went out in the real world everything was imperial. I worked in the aircraft industry for many years and the majority of that was imperial.

My kids are under 20 and they have done metric all there life but if I ask them how far it is to x they tell me in miles not km. They drink pints of beer and  and when they pass there test they will have wheels on there car which will be measured in inches but the width will be in mm  :o.

My cars will always do MPG what ever the currant measurement are.

Steve

Over 50's Steve - yes I agree we were taught in both and I'm in architecture and most steel is still the old rolling mills imperial like 102.4 x 257 steels! I often here stuff like 8 x 4 sheets of 19mm ply but there's a problem here as that sheet will actually be inch and half short one way and three quarter inch the other :'(!!!! My boys are 24 and 26 and talk in both metric and imperial like me. Wife is metric with drugs!!  ???(NHS stuff of course).

Steve440

• High Output Turbo
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 09 December 2013, 10:52:30 AM »
Over 50's Steve - yes I agree

I am only 11 years over 40  ;D

Steve

sgould

• Aerobic
  • SST paid up supporter
  • Overboost
  • Number of thanks: 345
  • 2006 9-5 Aero estate - Hirsched.
    • View Profile
    • Christine Bennett - soprano
« Reply #23 on: 09 December 2013, 01:44:49 PM »
The whole metric/imperial thing is a mess.  I did O levels in centimetre/gramme/second units.  The A level in metre/kilogramme/second units. 

Went to university of do an engineering degree in imperial of sorts.  Some of it was American with strange combinations. A Kip? That's a kilo imperial pound!! And pressure in kilogrammes per sq inch!!

Then I started work in imperial and within two years it all went metric, but dimensions were all in millimetres and forces in Newtons.  The reason for dimensions in millimetres?  It was because you couldn't use a decimal point on a blueprint or dyeline drawing.  Sometimes they didn't print and sometimes spurious ones appeared!

I worked in the water industry.  Iron pipe sizes went metric but stayed the same in actuality.  A6 inch pipe became 150mm but was actually the same 152mm it always had been.  But in the end we used both because the record drawings were in imperial and it was useful to keep imperial for the old cast iron pipes and metric for the more modern ductile iron pipes, even though the latter were still made to imperial dimensions......
Help support SaabTechTalk by making a Lump Sum donation or by opening a subscription. 
Options available are in your Profile/Actions.

Norfolk Jim

• SST paid up supporter
  • Viggen
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 09 December 2013, 04:11:21 PM »
I recall my 'O' levels being imperial and 'A' level being metric!!!! OMG

Geoff1951

• SST paid up supporter
  • Test pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 09 December 2013, 05:57:43 PM »
My O levels were in black and white, but my A's were in colour.

nine-fiver

• Aero
  • Number of thanks: 30
  • Hirsched
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 10 December 2013, 09:52:07 AM »
Are you serious?? Miles per Litre? Now I have heard everything. And I teach Maths\Sci!!

Steve440

• High Output Turbo
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 10 December 2013, 10:00:42 AM »
Are you serious?? Miles per Litre?

Yes why not?

My car speedo reads in miles and I buy fuel in liters, it makes good sense to me.

Steve
« Last Edit: 10 December 2013, 03:31:47 PM by Steve440 »

steventon95

• SST paid up supporter
  • LPT
  • Number of thanks: 7
  • 9-5 Aero Estate and a 9-5 Saloon (both ancient)
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 10 December 2013, 01:48:16 PM »
And the oil industry, being largely based on American practice is still in old units. And don't get me started on cranes, which can be rated in long tons, short tons, metric tonnes ... take your pick.

What was wrong with the old rod ton fortnight system of units? Or weights in Blue Whale units and areas as Football Pitches?

Audax

• SaabTechTalk Team
  • Wide open throttle
  • Number of thanks: 207
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 10 December 2013, 06:50:24 PM »
I have to agree that MPl would be a bit special but it would still be better than MPG :)

Anyway using MPG can have it's own fun. A few years back I had a guy turn up with a GM900 who asked me "do you want to buy this?" to which I replied "not really, why you selling?" and the guy explained that it was "rubbish on fuel" as it only did 25MPG, I asked him how he worked out the fuel consumption and he pointed to the SID "computer said so". I then said "I can fix the fuel consumption for you right now" so I reached across and changed the SID from US units to Imperial and he was really pleased as the SID now said just over 30MPG and told me he wasn't selling any more!  ;D

Then there was then the other guy who had a OG9-3 diesel who phoned me up in a panic as the car was only doing 49.something MPG and it always did over 50.something MPG and declared something must be wrong. He'd apparently measured this over just 1 100 mile journey that he had done a few times in the past and he always got 50.something MPG so was utterly convinced something was wrong with the car. I pointed out that even if the car fuel consumption was 1% different (I think it was about .5% different) then it would still cost him more for me to even look at the car than the extra fuel would cost him in a year, especially as he only did a few thousand miles a year!  ::)