Author Topic: Generic smoking diesel query  (Read 6640 times)

Steve McF

• Viggen
  • Number of thanks: 10
  • 9-5 2.0LPT.....as was, and now 9-3ss 2.0T Aero :)
    • View Profile
Generic smoking diesel query
« on: 29 September 2012, 11:19:51 PM »
I suspect this is a general query, but in this case it relates to an 04 plate Vauxhall Zafira Dti.

It's done around 60k, and I don't normally notice any issues with smoke from the exhaust....except at night on the motorway when there are headlights behind me. When I put my foot down it is apparent in the rear view mirror that there is a bit of smoke being thrown out the back. This only happens on acceleration, and during the daylight hours I can't say that I've noticed it.

But I have seen BMWs and Audis, vans and taxis smoke on acceleration as well.

Should I be concerned?

Audax

• SaabTechTalk Team
  • Wide open throttle
  • Number of thanks: 207
    • View Profile
Re: Generic smoking diesel query
« Reply #1 on: 30 September 2012, 12:22:30 AM »
Diesels are nasty. Nuff said  ;D

I'd make sure that your intake system is air tight if you're looking for problems and check that the EGR is clean and that any vacuum pipes are solid. I wouldn't worry about it after checking that lot.

Kev_Mc

• SST paid up supporter
  • Super Aero
  • 08 9-5 Aero
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 30 September 2012, 03:40:27 PM »
Both my old Skoda Superbs (PD130 diesels) both smoked on acceleration.  Think it was expected for diesels of that era.

BOF

• Linear
  • Number of thanks: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 08 October 2012, 12:28:25 PM »
"Should I be concerned?"

No. Diesels (and for that matter petrol engines) mostly overfuel at least a little on hard acceleration under heavy load, which gives out black smoke, and the older, more tired, and further off perfect tune  the fuel system, the more they smoke. The same applies to petrol cars, but the smoke is light grey, so not so noticeable.

BOF

James

• SaabTechTalk Team
  • Linear
  • Number of thanks: 3
  • 1994 C900 Convertible
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 09 October 2012, 01:18:39 AM »
Had a 390 XRdT years ago.  120k miles or something.  When you put your foot down the clouds of smoke really were quite something :D

CitTone

• Aero
  • Number of thanks: 11
  • 9-5TE 2.3T Estate (Rain) 9-3 2.0t 'vert (Shine)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 09 October 2012, 07:34:25 AM »
I've been behind quite a number of recent (i.e. under 4 years old) Ford TDCi models that have smoked like billy-oh under relatively mild acceleration, in daylight conditions, and the odd VW, too.

My TiD with the Steinbauer P-Box only leaves a visible trail at night, and then only when trying hard. It's all down to the current condition of the car more than anything else, but I'd say if it's leaving visible smoke when warmed up, under moderate throttle and in daylight, it needs looking at. The rest of the time....it's being a diesel.

(Citroen HDi engines seem to be much better than most, until you chip them....)
Nobody likes a smartarse - until they need one.

Norfolk Jim

• SST paid up supporter
  • Viggen
  • Number of thanks: 27
  • No longer Saab now Nippon Express 4x4
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 09 October 2012, 08:47:03 AM »
I'm with you CitTone - mine with the Hirsch upgrade does leave a trail at night to a degree with 132k on clock now. Don't see anything in day time.

Sometimes at night you see a cloud but that's when decelerating down a hill - yes there are some on Naarich. Not so bad if you coast  ::)

My engine can't be too bad though as it is still giving good fuel economy of around 43 daily use only dropping to 40 under heavy right foot work. I got 36 towing car trailer with car on it earlier in year.

Petemate

• Aero
  • 2008 9-3 150 Tid Sportwagon Kennington Oxford
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 09 October 2012, 10:54:11 AM »
I'm with you CitTone - mine with the Hirsch upgrade does leave a trail at night to a degree with 132k on clock now. Don't see anything in day time.

Sometimes at night you see a cloud but that's when decelerating down a hill - yes there are some on Naarich. Not so bad if you coast  ::)

My engine can't be too bad though as it is still giving good fuel economy of around 43 daily use only dropping to 40 under heavy right foot work. I got 36 towing car trailer with car on it earlier in year.

Pretty well the same for me as with you Jim. Mine is now at nearly 105k. Since retiring and not commuting daily to LHR, I've dropped from 50mpg on the runs to about 46-47 (as shown on the optimistic SID) and 36 towing our caravan. A bit of smoke visible at night in the following headlights (though they are not there that long - lol) None that I can see in daylight, OH followed me once when I was giving it some on the A40 and she said nothing visible (on that occasion I had asked her in advance to let me know) With my 'economy' DTUK box on the car pulls very well even with the 'van in tow. I have it connected when we tow and then use V-power. Even with the 'van on it flies. But now that I am doing many more short trips, I disconnect the box when we are not away with the caravan, mainly to avoid the possibility of clogging up the DPF. Every two weeks we do a 'duty' visit to daughter, S-I-L and grandson and it gets a 'DPF clear' on the M40, M25 & A41 - lol. No issues with the manifold other than a tiny bit of non-oily black residue at no. 3 spindle, keeping an eye on it.
I too have noticed a lot of Ford TDCI cars chucking out lots of smoke and quite young ones too. EGR issues? Also possibly poor quality fuel, which I am sure has an effect on EGRs and manifolds of any make.
Take care all

Max Headroom

• SaabTechTalk Team
  • Viggen
  • Number of thanks: 62
  • 2006 93 TiD Convertible. Cotswolds, England
    • View Profile
    • Combat Stress
« Reply #8 on: 10 October 2012, 10:26:56 AM »
sometimes I too get what looks like a vague cloud behind the car that I can see in the mirror - but only at night. It is never apparent in the day.

I got the impression this might be something to do with the smoke showing up more under sodium street lighting.

Kev_Mc

• SST paid up supporter
  • Super Aero
  • 08 9-5 Aero
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 10 October 2012, 04:37:36 PM »
THe DPF has been drilled through on mine, so I leave clouds of smoke behind when I floor it. Wished I'd just paid for a new cat instead of having this bypass as the smoke makes it obvious when I'm trying..

Petemate

• Aero
  • 2008 9-3 150 Tid Sportwagon Kennington Oxford
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 10 October 2012, 09:19:42 PM »
sometimes I too get what looks like a vague cloud behind the car that I can see in the mirror - but only at night. It is never apparent in the day.

I got the impression this might be something to do with the smoke showing up more under sodium street lighting.

+1.
BTW Mark - sorted your missing out yet? Been watching the forum for any info.