Author Topic: Tech 2 fuel gauge calibration  (Read 6231 times)

carrera

• SaabTechTalk-Team
  • Test pilot
  • Number of thanks: 17
    • View Profile
Re: Tech 2 fuel gauge calibration
« Reply #15 on: 18 April 2020, 09:18:23 PM »
Further progress

I realised I didn't need a picture as I had a pump on the shelf  :-[

That was revealing, someone had definitely been here before. Either the suction or return pipe was placed over the breather, blocking the correct route for the metal connecting spring  ::)

Fixed that, bonded the metal to the top plate with araldite type resin and reinstalled. Well, I did after figuring out that the infamous baffle was lose, so I manipulated it into place and hope it holds

The gauge still showed 10 litres, even though the resistance was 50 ohms. I cleared SID and did a power cycle and at last Tech 2 could see an empty tank.

Put 5 litres in, still empty

Put another  5 litres in, still empty

Long story short....  after checking the rest postion of the float on a flat surface, replacement is not the reverse of removal, you have to have the alignment mark at the 90 degree position as WIS says, otherwise the float jams somewhere

So, after resetting to factory value and subject to tweaking tomorrow, I think we're sorted
9-5 Aero Estates, 2002 Cosmic Blue, 2003 Steel Grey, 2003 Graphite Green, 2004 9-5 Glacier Blue 2.0 saloon, 2004 Nocturne Blue 2.2 diesel estate, 2006 & 2008 Black Aero saloons, 1998 9000 CSE with Aero engine, 9-5 NG Aero XWD Turbo4, 9-5 NG Aero XWD TTiD

sgould

• Aerobic
  • SST paid up supporter
  • Overboost
  • Number of thanks: 345
  • 2006 9-5 Aero estate - Hirsched.
    • View Profile
    • Christine Bennett - soprano
« Reply #16 on: 18 April 2020, 10:10:00 PM »
Well done! :)

If you get all this sorted, what will you do for the next three weeks? :)
Help support SaabTechTalk by making a Lump Sum donation or by opening a subscription. 
Options available are in your Profile/Actions.

carrera

• SaabTechTalk-Team
  • Test pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 18 April 2020, 10:26:05 PM »
Oooh I have plenty to do, not just Saabs, and some work too, hopefully

Aero engine rebuild ("noisy tappets")
Sirens
SIDs
Two Aero service kits for green and grey
2.3t estate rescue (not mentioned this yet, needs sump drop, oil filter, noisy, thought chain at first, but maybe just a pulley
9-5 Aero Estates, 2002 Cosmic Blue, 2003 Steel Grey, 2003 Graphite Green, 2004 9-5 Glacier Blue 2.0 saloon, 2004 Nocturne Blue 2.2 diesel estate, 2006 & 2008 Black Aero saloons, 1998 9000 CSE with Aero engine, 9-5 NG Aero XWD Turbo4, 9-5 NG Aero XWD TTiD

sgould

• Aerobic
  • SST paid up supporter
  • Overboost
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 18 April 2020, 10:34:56 PM »
Now that the shed and fence are substantially complete, I have to sort out the passenger seat movement switches in the 9-5.  The front up/down is not working. 

The Carlsson needs the drivers seat belt looking at.  It's become slow to retract.  I thought that that problem, which was common on the early cars, had been sorted.  I also have to take the bumper off again to fit a new headlamp bulb.  We were driving around last month and I noticed that one headlamp looked yellower that the other, when it lit up the car in front of us in the traffic jam.  A further check showed that it was indeed dying.  I've also got to source a different mount for the iPhone in the Carlsson.  SWMBO uses Waze now, rather than the OE satnav which does not really have any effective traffic info on it.
Help support SaabTechTalk by making a Lump Sum donation or by opening a subscription. 

carrera

• SaabTechTalk-Team
  • Test pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 19 April 2020, 08:36:51 AM »
Fingers crossed on the seat it is just the connector that is coming loose. Had that on the green car, but it affected all controls. The best bit is this is just simple electrics, no bus messages to be fiddling with..... unless that changed for the DE

Headlamp off to change a light bulb ? Seems faintly ridiculous to me, a bit like removing the bonnet to change spark plugs, what were the designers thinking?

sgould

• Aerobic
  • SST paid up supporter
  • Overboost
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 19 April 2020, 09:01:43 AM »
The headlamp bulbs can be done in situ with small hands, but it’s very awkward. If you have large hands (and a bit of arthritis) the job is really a choice between removing the bumper and headlights, or removing the air box and pipework on the RHS, and the wash bottle tube and battery on the LHS.

If you fiddle about and try and do it with fingertips, things can get bent.  I did that years ago on my old Rover 600 and the bulb wasn’t seated properly. Things got very hot with the poor earth and the headlamp casing melted out of shape!!

Audax

• SaabTechTalk Team
  • Wide open throttle
  • Number of thanks: 207
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 19 April 2020, 10:42:34 PM »
I don't have small hands (well, that's what my girlfriends said) but never had a problem with bulbs. I don't have the added complication of arthritis though.

sgould

• Aerobic
  • SST paid up supporter
  • Overboost
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 20 April 2020, 06:40:43 PM »
I was going to do things on the cars today but both involved working with the doors open.  The wind was so strong that it wasn't safe.  The doos kept blowing shut .

So I had a look to see if I really could do the headlamp bulbs without removing the bumper.  And I can't.

Even with the washer tube removed on the LHS there's a loom to the extra fuse box in the way, and on the RHS there's an aircon pipe very close.  I think the V6 is a bit more tightly packed than the other cars.

Finally since the caps have been on for 10 years untouched, I can't turn them the required quarter turn to get them off. They're seized, so when the wind drops, the bumper and lights wiil come off and the filter removal strap used to undo them.

carrera

• SaabTechTalk-Team
  • Test pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 20 April 2020, 08:53:01 PM »
It does look a bit tight. A splash of WD40 into the contact area can help the plastic rotate, just like with the red connectors that get stiff with dirt

I guess there's no fix for the height adjustment yet either then.

The fuel tank seems to be behaving itself. The gauge is nearly at the bottom, and Tech 2 thinks there is 2 litres left. Mind you, it said 2 litres when I left for home and she consumed 1364 ml fuel on the trip.

DTE says 16 miles

The resistance reading tells me there is a little bit more in the tank, but I'm not too bothered about that, an extra 3 or 4 litres may come in handy at an important time.