Author Topic: What I Did To My Saab Today.  (Read 283490 times)

sgould

• Aerobic
  • SST paid up supporter
  • Overboost
  • Number of thanks: 345
  • 2006 9-5 Aero estate - Hirsched.
    • View Profile
    • Christine Bennett - soprano
Re: What I Did To My Saab Today.
« Reply #660 on: 16 June 2020, 10:47:41 PM »
Another day doing nothing on the cars, but I use my new 12v supply to check an old car radio.  It was a very expensive option back in the day, so I thought it might be of use to someone with an old car.  But sadly it won't go. :(

If I put the ohmmeter on the power feed, the resistance changes when I turn the set on and off, but nothing lights up...
Help support SaabTechTalk by making a Lump Sum donation or by opening a subscription. 
Options available are in your Profile/Actions.

carrera

• SaabTechTalk-Team
  • Test pilot
  • Number of thanks: 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #661 on: 16 June 2020, 11:23:13 PM »
Component level repair needed. It's usually capacitors.

What you need in your shed is an oscilloscope...... and the knowledge on how to use it :)
9-5 Aero Estates, 2002 Cosmic Blue, 2003 Steel Grey, 2003 Graphite Green, 2004 9-5 Glacier Blue 2.0 saloon, 2004 Nocturne Blue 2.2 diesel estate, 2006 & 2008 Black Aero saloons, 1998 9000 CSE with Aero engine, 9-5 NG Aero XWD Turbo4, 9-5 NG Aero XWD TTiD

sgould

• Aerobic
  • SST paid up supporter
  • Overboost
    • View Profile
« Reply #662 on: 17 June 2020, 12:16:59 AM »
I used an oscilloscope once.  They got one in the physics lab at school, just before I left - in 1964...
Help support SaabTechTalk by making a Lump Sum donation or by opening a subscription. 

Audax

• SaabTechTalk Team
  • Wide open throttle
  • Number of thanks: 207
    • View Profile
« Reply #663 on: 17 June 2020, 07:13:43 AM »
It was a very expensive option back in the day, so I thought it might be of use to someone with an old car.

I think most people gut the radios and put something more modern inside the case so you can have MP3 and Bluetooth while it looks period.

carrera

• SaabTechTalk-Team
  • Test pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #664 on: 07 July 2020, 04:12:50 PM »
So it seems nobody is doing anything to their Saabs these days. Everything sorted eh ? :)

A little job for me today, changing onto summer tyres. I picked up this rather nice set of ALU59's with low mileage Falken Azenis FK510 tyres fitted.

ET41 I think, but they'll do the job

9-5 Aero Estates, 2002 Cosmic Blue, 2003 Steel Grey, 2003 Graphite Green, 2004 9-5 Glacier Blue 2.0 saloon, 2004 Nocturne Blue 2.2 diesel estate, 2006 & 2008 Black Aero saloons, 1998 9000 CSE with Aero engine, 9-5 NG Aero XWD Turbo4, 9-5 NG Aero XWD TTiD

sgould

• Aerobic
  • SST paid up supporter
  • Overboost
    • View Profile
« Reply #665 on: 07 July 2020, 05:30:32 PM »
ET41 work well on the 9-5.

I think that those wheels were standard on the early 9-3 V6 cars.

Audax

• SaabTechTalk Team
  • Wide open throttle
  • Number of thanks: 207
    • View Profile
« Reply #666 on: 07 July 2020, 06:42:54 PM »
I think that those wheels were standard on the early 9-3 V6 cars.

Yup, they were.

TomPaine

• SST paid up supporter
  • High Output Turbo
  • Number of thanks: 16
  • MY04 9-5 Aero auto estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #667 on: 07 July 2020, 11:53:09 PM »
This week as every week, pumped up the three of the four tyres that need a weekly top-up due to porous alloys. Will replace them with refurbs shortly ...

masonmjs

• Saabisti
  • Number of thanks: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #668 on: 08 July 2020, 09:51:48 AM »
The seat switch is on the passenger side of the 9-5 Aero.  It's a simple arrangement for the seat base.  Three switches.  Up/down front. Up/down rear, and the fore/aft switch.  The backrest has its own separate rotary switch.

The seat base switches are all under one cover which clips to the two end switches, bit locates on two rectangular pins.  The lugs sit in cruciform holes in the cover.  This means that when the cover is moved up or down at either end, it cannot slide forwards and back, and vice-versa, when the cover is slid forwards or backwards, the end switches cannot be engaged to move the seat up or down.

The problem turned out to be that when the cover had bee moved back, there was just enough play that it was still slightly engaged in the horizontal arm of the cruciform preventing the front switch from operating in the up direction.  Some gentle bevelling of the two corners involved has fixed it. :)

Appreciate that this particular thread entry is a little out of date now but I have a relevant question I wanted to ask.

I bought some seats recently with the intention of using the frame and electrics for my Anniversary which had manual seats.  My drivers side switch assembly (as shown in your photos) was broken, the rear up/down switch, and the rear guide (with the little white switch piece) were sheared off at the casing.  I have repaired it now (details available if required) with threaded rods and some JB Weld epoxy and have even managed to re-create the little raised part on the rear up/down switch which clips into the switch cover, but not the little white switch piece as I couldn't see what it was doing realistically (and it was just too hard to re-produce).

Work in progress : (it looks better now !)

Untitled by Mike, on Flickr

So, does it do anything or is it just a smooth spring-loaded 'bearing' for the switch cover to slide forward and backwards on ??

Cheers
Mike

phoenix

• SaabTechTalk-Team
  • Test pilot
  • Number of thanks: 108
    • View Profile
« Reply #669 on: 08 July 2020, 10:19:58 AM »
Took my 9000 for an MOT yesterday- failed! Structural welding needed at the back :(

Offside Rear Inner Integral body structure corroded to the extent that the rigidity of the assembly is significantly reduced (6.1.1 (c) (i))

Same on the NS but just as an advisory. Fixing bill isn't too bad though- £363.

carrera

• SaabTechTalk-Team
  • Test pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #670 on: 08 July 2020, 01:18:30 PM »
Was that the chassis section that expands with a deformable piece just before the bumper is attached?

I had to do those on my dads

phoenix

• SaabTechTalk-Team
  • Test pilot
  • Number of thanks: 108
    • View Profile
« Reply #671 on: 08 July 2020, 01:20:45 PM »
Yes, I believe it is. Going in to get it done next Thur. In the meantime I need to do the NS CV boot. Yuck.

carrera

• SaabTechTalk-Team
  • Test pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #672 on: 27 July 2020, 07:01:37 PM »
A couple of little jobs on the 2.2TiD

The steering wheel was a bit off centre, so I wanted to adjust that. First job of the day was to measure the tracking..... 40 minutes in. After a bit of mental gymnastics I figured out that if I adjusted the toe on the right had side the steering wheel would come back towards the centre position.

I was faced with a non rusty trackrod and end. So, it has been replaced recently and the tracking wasn't checked afterwards.  ::)  Never mind, back to the correct setting and the wheel is straight too  :thumbsup:

After that I wanted to loo0k at the gear linkage as 5th was difficult. I had a replacement component to fit, but that's when I discovered that there are two designs and the 2.2 has the later design. I took it off, concluded that the plastic bushes on the selector shaft were the problem, so instead of a plastic interference fit they now have a chemical metal interference fit.

The selector is like a new car again  :thumbsup:

No choice then but to give the car a wash as well

(on the 9000 question, sorry I don't know the answer, you may be better putting the question in its own thread to see how good the collective 9000 memory is, not many left on here)

fka

• Super Aero
  • Number of thanks: 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #673 on: 09 September 2020, 04:55:34 PM »
Did my annual service today. Minor, service - plugs, air filter, oil.
As I'm consuming just over a litre of oil in-between my annual services and I'd read some comments about Millers Nanodrive CFS 10w 60 I thought I'd give it a shot, although I went for the 10w 50. Considering the number of short journeys the car does, I think the 10w 60 would be a step too far for me.
Will see how the oil consumption goes but it's noticeably quieter at idle.

Also fit a pair of silicon intercooler hoses as the originals were a little damaged were the old rusty jubilee clamps had been.
I've had an issue with my Amul (long term fuel trim) jumping up to +7 and sometimes +10% and it's generally on the +ive edge of what's consider acceptable (+-5%). I've already replaced the lambda as it was behaving a bit wonky, so on the assumption I have an air leak after the MAF, pre-turbo. Or on the exhaust side before the lambda (second lambda is deleted/ mapped out). As such I've replaced the cobra to turbo and bypass pipe to cobra o-rings. Both were very flat and the bypass pipe was very loose in the cobra. I've tightened the turbo flanges and also have new o-rings for the throttle body and charge air pipe to throttle body but I ran out of time.
MAF is relatively new but I'll give that a clean too, have checked for a brake servo leak and have deleted the bypass control valve - all in an effort to get the long term fuel trim back to a reasonable level. Failing that it could actually just be running lean due to a fuelling issue!
« Last Edit: 09 September 2020, 05:35:50 PM by fka »

carrera

• SaabTechTalk-Team
  • Test pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #674 on: 10 September 2020, 07:37:51 PM »
Millers Nanodrive is good stuff, I use the 10/60 in some vehicles.

On the Amul the I suppose the obvious stuff would be fuel pump, fuel filter and fuel pressure regulator.  In your case I doubt it's a blocked filter so FPR would be my first port of call.

Do you have the kit to do the test, and also the vacuum / boost measure ?