Author Topic: Hidden rust...  (Read 4151 times)

sgould

• Aerobic
  • SST paid up supporter
  • Overboost
  • Number of thanks: 345
  • 2006 9-5 Aero estate - Hirsched.
    • View Profile
    • Christine Bennett - soprano
Hidden rust...
« on: 11 August 2021, 02:59:05 PM »
I have a loss of power steering fluid.  I took the bumper off to check the cooling loop, but that's OK.  Removing the other underbody panels to look underneath, found a lot of wet areas which require further investigation.  But there was small bulge in the front of the metal bumper.  There's rust inside which has swollen.  A quick prod and a hole appeared... :(

Trying to remember where I've hidden the Hydrate 80 ::)
Help support SaabTechTalk by making a Lump Sum donation or by opening a subscription. 
Options available are in your Profile/Actions.

phoenix

• SaabTechTalk-Team
  • Test pilot
  • Number of thanks: 108
    • View Profile
Re: Hidden rust...
« Reply #1 on: 11 August 2021, 03:18:59 PM »
I tackled the inside of the rear wheel arches earlier this year. There was quite a bit of rust on both, mainly on the part nearest the rear seats portions (that are hidden behind the plastic liner). I started by pressure washing them to get rid of the surface dirt...  and then found I had a wet carpet! The pressure washer had blasted through. Cleaned them up, lots of Hydrate 80, then use aluminium tape as a former from inside then got the isopon out. Didn't need to be pretty, just functional. Finished it all with a liberal coating of Hammerite.

sgould

• Aerobic
  • SST paid up supporter
  • Overboost
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 11 August 2021, 03:46:23 PM »
I did my rear wheel arches 3 or 4 years ago.  Fortunately, they were unperforated.  Much the same treatment.  Hydrate 80 and Hammerite.
Help support SaabTechTalk by making a Lump Sum donation or by opening a subscription. 

sgould

• Aerobic
  • SST paid up supporter
  • Overboost
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 11 August 2021, 06:17:29 PM »
I think I multiple problems :(

There's an oil leak which seems to be from the crankshaft oil seal.

There's so much oil around, I can't see any leak area for the power steering.  It may be leaking slowing from the steering rack.  The bellows are completely shredded. :(   The good news is that the power steering cooling loop is fine.  I may give it a coat of Hammerite while it's exposed.

sgould

• Aerobic
  • SST paid up supporter
  • Overboost
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 11 August 2021, 07:36:45 PM »
A better view of the carnage that is the steering rack bellows.  The wetness beyond the split suggests that the rack seal has gone. :(

sgould

• Aerobic
  • SST paid up supporter
  • Overboost
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 18 August 2021, 11:01:37 AM »
Put Hydrate 80 on the rusty bits of the front subframe.  Some Hammerite over that this afternoon.  Bumper back on.  Then off to the garage for the heavy work.  I’m getting too old and arthritic to do a lot of pulling and lifting.
« Last Edit: 18 August 2021, 04:58:57 PM by sgould »

sgould

• Aerobic
  • SST paid up supporter
  • Overboost
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 18 August 2021, 05:01:24 PM »
All back roadworthy so that I can get it to the garage for the steering leak to be fixed.

Had another look at the oil leak and it seems to be leaking in many places. :o  Either the breather is blocked, or the pistons are letting by.  I can't see the cam cover, crankshaft seal and other bits all starting to leak at the same time. :(

mikejgeo

• Airflow
  • Number of thanks: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 04 September 2021, 12:27:52 PM »
Any news on it Will?

sgould

• Aerobic
  • SST paid up supporter
  • Overboost
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 04 September 2021, 05:03:28 PM »
Joe is very busy, but I'm in no hurry.  The car goes in on Thursday.

Steve McF

• Viggen
  • Number of thanks: 10
  • 9-5 2.0LPT.....as was, and now 9-3ss 2.0T Aero :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 31 January 2022, 04:10:33 PM »
Just had a look back at this and the mention of rust in wheelarches, albeit on a 9-5 rather than a 9-3 saloon.

How is the cleaning off all the surface rust, applying hydrate 80, and then the hammerite, doing at keeping it all at bay? Of have you got rid of that car since posting on this thread. Thinking of doing something similar on my 9-3ss at some point.

sgould

• Aerobic
  • SST paid up supporter
  • Overboost
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 31 January 2022, 07:16:23 PM »
To be honest, I haven't looked lately!

But I used the same technique on the roof a year earlier, and that was finished with body colour and lacquer and it hasn't rusted in around 5 years.  The rust started under the rubber seal at the top of the tailgate opening and crept up over the edge.   

At the time I cleaned the brush out on a rusty chain that hangs in the open air.  That has carried on hanging there and the rust hasn't broken through again.  I took a photo, but the Hydrate 80 hardened clear, so the chain still looks rusty!! :)

I've added a photo of the chain.  it was roughly covered in Hydrate 80 in the spring of 2017 and has hung in the open since.  The chain was originally galvanised, but the zinc coating had failed and the chain was quite rusty.  This photo was taken last August.