Author Topic: Peeling lacquer  (Read 267 times)

Steve McF

• Viggen
  • Number of thanks: 10
  • 9-5 2.0LPT.....as was, and now 9-3ss 2.0T Aero :)
    • View Profile
Peeling lacquer
« on: 21 April 2024, 10:55:41 AM »
Hi all, so after restoring the headlights on my son's Ford Focus estate that is patiently sitting in the garage waiting to be fully recommissioned before going for MOT, I want to have a go at fixing the horrendous lacquer peel on a large area of the front bumper.

The lacquer has come off a large area on the left side, but there are other areas where it has bubbled but not come off. I need to get all this off and rub down what is left before re-lacquering.

However, what is the best way to get all the loose stuff off back to the good lacquer without damaging the base coat? Someone suggested jet wash but I'm a bit wary.
« Last Edit: 21 April 2024, 11:15:36 AM by Steve McF »

sgould

• Aerobic
  • SST paid up supporter
  • Overboost
  • Number of thanks: 345
  • 2006 9-5 Aero estate - Hirsched.
    • View Profile
    • Christine Bennett - soprano
Re: Peeling lacquer
« Reply #1 on: 21 April 2024, 12:03:16 PM »
Take the bumper off.  Rub it down and start again with a primer.  If you just try and replace the lacquer, it will still look odd.  You really need a key for the lacquer, and if you rub down the black, it will look like it.  A fresh coat of black with the lacquer a few minutes later without rubbing down.
Help support SaabTechTalk by making a Lump Sum donation or by opening a subscription. 
Options available are in your Profile/Actions.

Steve McF

• Viggen
  • Number of thanks: 10
  • 9-5 2.0LPT.....as was, and now 9-3ss 2.0T Aero :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 22 April 2024, 12:40:49 PM »
My son is not too bothered that it doesn't have lacquer in places, but I'd just like to tidy it up a bit if I can. Worst case, i could probably find another bumper of the right colour from a scrappies, but I wanted to have a go on this bumper first, at least. If the colour is slightly off, he won't be too bothered, as it is already slightly off with no lacquer :D

The car is metallic tango red apparently.

sgould

• Aerobic
  • SST paid up supporter
  • Overboost
  • Number of thanks: 345
  • 2006 9-5 Aero estate - Hirsched.
    • View Profile
    • Christine Bennett - soprano
« Reply #3 on: 22 April 2024, 01:31:30 PM »
The problem you will have is that the exposed paint will be dirty.  Unless you get it really clean, the lacquer won't stick.  And, it's clear that the exposed paint is not suitable for getting lacquer to stick, as it hasn't stuck before.  So you will probably need to sand down to get a key, which will expose the metallic particles and alter the finish.

Maybe a good clean and de-grease and a coat of lacquer is all you can achieve, in situ.  But expect to have to do it again in a year.
Help support SaabTechTalk by making a Lump Sum donation or by opening a subscription. 
Options available are in your Profile/Actions.

carrera

• SaabTechTalk-Team
  • Test pilot
  • Number of thanks: 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 23 April 2024, 10:43:16 PM »
9-5 Aero Estates, 2002 Cosmic Blue, 2003 Steel Grey, 2003 Graphite Green, 2004 9-5 Glacier Blue 2.0 saloon, 2004 Nocturne Blue 2.2 diesel estate, 2006 & 2008 Black Aero saloons, 1998 9000 CSE with Aero engine, 9-5 NG Aero XWD Turbo4, 9-5 NG Aero XWD TTiD

Geoff1951

• SST paid up supporter
  • Test pilot
  • Number of thanks: 22
  • Sadly Saabless, but with a new mistress.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 24 April 2024, 01:00:46 PM »