Author Topic: Intercooler hose.  (Read 16972 times)

Norfolk Jim

• SST paid up supporter
  • Viggen
  • Number of thanks: 27
  • No longer Saab now Nippon Express 4x4
    • View Profile
Intercooler hose.
« on: 07 March 2016, 12:53:26 PM »
Anyone had to replace their intercooler hose on a TTiD 9-3???

Filled up my screen wash yesterday and noticed that big fat pipe to left of battery cover looked rather shiny???? Upon a closer look there is a half inch long split in it but I'm not sure if it has gone right through or not or how long it has been like it???? I think the part number is 12822777 according to parts chap I know at Thurlow Nunn. He say's it looks like they have a book time of 1.4 hrs to replace it but he thinks some of that could be for resetting the system after it had blown but mine so far seems intacked I hope. Is this easy to replace with limited knowledge????

The part to me is £101.77 Service Club cost.

I am going tow rap some wide (I have some 50mm wide) thick insulation tape round it to hold for the moment but how long will this hold and what will happen when it does go???

Cheers chaps

sgould

• Aerobic
  • SST paid up supporter
  • Overboost
  • Number of thanks: 345
  • 2006 9-5 Aero estate - Hirsched.
    • View Profile
    • Christine Bennett - soprano
Re: Intercooler hose.
« Reply #1 on: 07 March 2016, 02:58:45 PM »
Looks like you have the right part number for a 2010-11 car.  It replaces all the earlier ones anyway.

Article : Air duct
PartNo : 12822777
Usage : 2010-2011
Order Quantity : 1
Help support SaabTechTalk by making a Lump Sum donation or by opening a subscription. 
Options available are in your Profile/Actions.

Audax

• SaabTechTalk Team
  • Wide open throttle
  • Number of thanks: 207
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 07 March 2016, 03:37:50 PM »
I am going tow rap some wide (I have some 50mm wide) thick insulation tape round it to hold for the moment but how long will this hold and what will happen when it does go???

Is the hose actually split all the way through or not? My experience of taping up a hose like that was that it would be OK for about 10 minutes until it split the tape. Resultant fault is little or no boost and a check engine light.

sgould

• Aerobic
  • SST paid up supporter
  • Overboost
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 07 March 2016, 04:15:39 PM »
I've had some success by repairing split pipes by cutting out the split bit and replacing it with a short length of metal tubing and two jubilee clips.

just remember that if the pipe is, say, 2.5 inches in diameter, then, at 1 bar, there is a force of around 70 lbs trying to pull it apart.
Help support SaabTechTalk by making a Lump Sum donation or by opening a subscription. 

Norfolk Jim

• SST paid up supporter
  • Viggen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 07 March 2016, 04:24:27 PM »
I don't think it is split right through or the car wouldn't drive as it does.

How long would you reckon to fit Audax? Is it something simple my garage over the road here could do easily at £38 and hour instead of £75+

I wonder if a couple of large jubilee rings would help hold till I got the part?

My point being my garage hear is half a mile away as opposed Thurlow Nunn being 14. TH do have one in stock though.

aerojon

• Turbo
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 07 March 2016, 04:46:52 PM »
Normally when an IC pipe blows,down on power,loud hissing noise and eml..

Norfolk Jim

• SST paid up supporter
  • Viggen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 07 March 2016, 04:52:42 PM »
I've had none of that  - yet!!!

Hopefully if I drive is grandad style to the garage it will hold out and no software re-programming will be needed as 1.4 hours sounds loads to simply undo two clips and replace. The parts guy seemed to think they have allowed for re-programming as well.

Audax

• SaabTechTalk Team
  • Wide open throttle
  • Number of thanks: 207
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 07 March 2016, 06:45:17 PM »
I think the parts guy doesn't know how to use the software properly, it'll take 30 minutes and no programming needed. He's probably quoting for pressure testing the system and replacement of part and clearing any DTC. If you know the pipe is split then you just replace that bit.

I'd say any garage could replace it and if they can't they don't deserve to be trading. You can try what sgould said however they can pop apart if you do that.

sgould

• Aerobic
  • SST paid up supporter
  • Overboost
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 07 March 2016, 07:32:35 PM »
... however they can pop apart if you do that.

Not if it's a short length and you trap a couple of cable ties under the jubilee clips! :)

Norfolk Jim

• SST paid up supporter
  • Viggen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 08 March 2016, 09:42:57 AM »
thanks chaps

sgould

• Aerobic
  • SST paid up supporter
  • Overboost
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 08 March 2016, 02:42:15 PM »
Someone else has the same problem...

Pictures in this thread  http://www.uksaabs.co.uk/UKS/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=166299

wrighar

• SaabTechTalk Team
  • High Output Turbo
  • Number of thanks: 15
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 08 March 2016, 03:44:43 PM »
£101 is a 3 or 4 hose kit, that top hose isn't or wasn't available separately

4 hosew silicone kit £118
http://www.neobrothers.co.uk/intercooler-silicone-hoses-alternative-saab-sport-ttid-p-4219.html?osCsid=376940363dc659b8c282e6b6fa884549

1 hose original? £49
http://www.amazon.co.uk/2007-2012-180HP-INTERCOOLER-TURBO-12822777/dp/B00V3JLRQI
Top hose is a 10 minute job to replace.

1 hose £35
http://www.amazon.co.uk/intercooler-12822777-needs-JUBILEE-CLIPS/dp/B00W7L8M4Q/ref=pd_cp_263_1?ie=UTF8&refRID=1ZYMW4H5EXCCJKAF51FY

1 hose ebay £32
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Intercooler-Turbo-Boost-Hose-Pipe-5mm-SAAB-9-3-1-9TiD-180BHP-132kw-TTiD-/311468101504?hash=item4884f20f80:g:QjQAAOSwX~dWnUTc

Neo's late last year were sell a silicone top hose (only) for £32... which I ordered and fitted.  Now they are only doing silicone hose kits again...

I cut and shut my hose and ran for 3 months like that with no problems.
« Last Edit: 08 March 2016, 03:52:09 PM by wrighar »

Norfolk Jim

• SST paid up supporter
  • Viggen
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 09 March 2016, 12:41:18 PM »
Well after an A11 debacle - accidents again due to rain................... car is in dealers also having Winter Check and Ducks Bak on windscreen, software up date and the hose.

Having has a good look this morning that pipe is only about a foot long and it stayed intact driving to the garage. I told them it would be quick to do as two jubilee clips both easy to get to and I don't expect a bill for 1.4 hrs time as no re-programming/ code clearing is needed. We'll see what happens. If I hadn't need the car tomorrow I would probs have got the silicone hose and fitted it myself but needs must.

I am now considering the Hirsch upgrade as I seem to have some spare sixpences (as one of my clients says).

Still twitchy on front wheels and looking at them the fronts are Falken and although loads of tread the shape of the tyre is more rounded on the edges whereas the rears are GY F1 Asymmetric which have loads of tread and look a more square edged tyre - they look fatter and cover wheels better. Wonder if a pair on front would stop the line following? What have you got Andrew on yours? Mine are 225/45 x 18's

sgould

• Aerobic
  • SST paid up supporter
  • Overboost
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 09 March 2016, 01:46:49 PM »
According to the Saab list, 18 inch wheels aren't listed for the diesel engined cars.  ut for the other models the 225/45 18 tyre is the correct size, but it needs to be the 95W extra load version.

Norfolk Jim

• SST paid up supporter
  • Viggen
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 09 March 2016, 01:50:51 PM »
They appear to be standard on a lot of Aero TTiD's Will - well they seemed to be on every one I looked at!

Both front and back are indeed 95W extra load rating.

I had the twitching on a 9-5 but cannot remember which tyre I ended up with I think they ended up as Pilot Sport. Can be a little unnerving though when braking hard from speed as it follows all ruts - perhaps my droplinks are getting worn at 115k.