Author Topic: Hirsch Wheel Refurb  (Read 4871 times)

sgould

• Aerobic
  • SST paid up supporter
  • Overboost
  • Number of thanks: 345
  • 2006 9-5 Aero estate - Hirsched.
    • View Profile
    • Christine Bennett - soprano
Hirsch Wheel Refurb
« on: 06 April 2018, 03:26:48 PM »
I've given up on finding a proper colour match, so they are being refurbed in standard silver. The finish will be the same texture but a slightly different colour.

The refurb guy suggested that he reckoned the original colour is called "Pescara Silver", or very close to it, but they can't obtain it any more.  They could get a special colour match batch made but it would add a few £££ and delay the job quite a bit.
Help support SaabTechTalk by making a Lump Sum donation or by opening a subscription. 
Options available are in your Profile/Actions.

Max Headroom

• SaabTechTalk Team
  • Viggen
  • Number of thanks: 62
  • 2006 93 TiD Convertible. Cotswolds, England
    • View Profile
    • Combat Stress
Re: Hirsch Wheel Refurb
« Reply #1 on: 06 April 2018, 06:18:51 PM »
Will, I had mine done in a brighter silver with a bigger metallic flake - it was far less dull than the original greyish silver, and when out in the sunlight....wow!  8)

That was a place in Swindon a really very good family run business; a bit expensive but the job is done properly with superb results Platinum Alloys.
I was very pleased with. They've done my old Peugeot wheels my SAAB summer wheels, and a neighbours car

sgould

• Aerobic
  • SST paid up supporter
  • Overboost
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 06 April 2018, 07:32:13 PM »
Yes, I had the Carlsson winter wheels done in "sparkly silver" which suits them but I went for the flatter silver as it was the closest to the original without extra cost.

Here's the Carlsson.

Help support SaabTechTalk by making a Lump Sum donation or by opening a subscription. 

sgould

• Aerobic
  • SST paid up supporter
  • Overboost
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 06 April 2018, 09:07:10 PM »

sgould

• Aerobic
  • SST paid up supporter
  • Overboost
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 18 April 2018, 12:16:38 PM »
All done! Refurbed wheels back in "standard silver" not sparkly.  New Nokian zLine tyres on.  All ready for summer.   I just have to get the old wheels off and have a go at some rust treatment in the rear wheel arches.

I was very happy with the performance of the Nokian zLines I had on before.  They did fail oddly at the end, but the rear has been rebushed and the tracking realigned since then, and the Nokian tread pattern has changed a bit too.

I like the tread depth  markings on the Nokians too.  It's only in the centre of the tread, but it gives a reading by millimetres.  just look for the highest number that you can read...

fka

• Super Aero
  • Number of thanks: 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 29 April 2018, 06:16:23 PM »
Very jealous of your wheels sgould and they look cracking in silver!

sgould

• Aerobic
  • SST paid up supporter
  • Overboost
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 29 April 2018, 11:40:47 PM »
They have survived quite well.  They've been on and off for over 10 years.  This is the first refurb! :)

David

• Turbo
  • Number of thanks: 13
  • Great Western Saabs
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 30 April 2018, 09:41:08 AM »
They do look good Will. Did you manage to get them to match the original colour and if so can you let me know what it was? Ta.
Also are you bringing the 9.5 to Swedish Day? I plan on being there with mine.

sgould

• Aerobic
  • SST paid up supporter
  • Overboost
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 30 April 2018, 11:01:49 AM »
I got them done in standard silver grey that they normally use.  The man told me that the original looked like “Pescara silver” but they couldn’t get hold of it.  This colour isn’t too far off.  Much nearer than the sparkly silver, or the anthracite.

At the moment I’m planning on bringing the Carlsson.  There’s half a plan to try and get a row of Carlssons and TurboX cars.  But things can change.

Steve McF

• Viggen
  • Number of thanks: 10
  • 9-5 2.0LPT.....as was, and now 9-3ss 2.0T Aero :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 30 April 2018, 11:24:48 AM »
Rust in the rear arches??  :o And yours is a few years younger than mine....where is your rust?

I'm not sure whether to have a go at it myself, or pay the money and get a body shop to tidy it up. I've battled rust on several of my (and the missus') older cars over the years - mostly (in fact all!!) Fords, but anyone of the old SSc fraternity may remember me going on about some rust that appeared to my horror on the driver's side (I had assumed galvanised!) doors of my then silver 9-5 saloon. This was thanks to a crap bodyshop repair done on behalf of the lease company before they disposed of it, and something I hadn't noticed when I bought the car........  >:(

I can forgive my 9-3ss this time round, as it is far older already than my 9-5 was back then, and has 4 owners worth of life before me..... but I still have nightmares about sanding and wire brushing rust, getting the Kurust on, using filler, more sanding, getting the primer on, then trying to get a matching paint aerosol, then lacquer, then rubbing compound blah blah.....  :P

David

• Turbo
  • Number of thanks: 13
  • Great Western Saabs
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 01 May 2018, 02:05:50 PM »
Steve,

I removed the wheels and wheel liners, then gave everything a good clean (see photo)
Afterwards I then gave each a coat of paint, followed with waxoyl.
Then again I am a bit anal, always the inside of the wheel arches and inner arch rims when I wash the car.   ::)
Prevention is better than cure.

collywobble

• High Output Turbo
  • Number of thanks: 16
  • 2.2 TiD Linear Estate
    • View Profile
    • Colin Brown Environmental Ltd.
« Reply #11 on: 01 May 2018, 02:31:58 PM »
I have this recipe (can't think of the proper word!) for Saab wheel paint. Can't remember where I got it from.