Author Topic: Delay on acceleration on auto box (torque protection software)  (Read 9338 times)

swedishcar

• Saabisti
  • Number of thanks: 0
    • View Profile
Hello to everybody on this new forum

I have a 1.9 auto  '08 model and I notice it can be a bit slow on the initial uptake. Spoke to dealer and apparently it's a torque protection function of the gearbox which has been copied from Mercedes. Dealer said that Saab may alter this, but I can't see it after almost 3 years. I am guessing it is engine software rather than anything else so wondered if the Hirsch upgrade removed it.
« Last Edit: 30 June 2011, 07:27:11 AM by swedishcar »

Kev_Mc

• SST paid up supporter
  • Super Aero
  • Number of thanks: 10
  • 08 9-5 Aero
    • View Profile
Re: Delay on acceleration on auto box (torque protection software)
« Reply #1 on: 30 June 2011, 07:39:49 AM »
Welcome to STT  :)

I know mine can be slow on the uptake too (9-5 TiD Auto), though don't know the answer to this - hopefully someone will be able to help shortly - sgould?

alibali

« Reply #2 on: 30 June 2011, 09:07:13 AM »

I have a 93 wagon 2.0t auto, seems quite prompt. Could be a Diesel only issue?

craig

• Saabisti
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 30 June 2011, 09:23:02 AM »
My car is a 2008 93 1.9tid (150) auto and I too experience this. not only pulling away from rest but there also can be quite a delay when hitting the throttle whilst the car is coasting (ie approaching a roundabout).

I too would also like to know if there is a resolution to this problem with software updates or hardware changes.

ADI

• Saabisti
  • Number of thanks: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 30 June 2011, 09:26:14 AM »
For faster getaways put it in M1 mode then cross the lever to auto. I use this method for busy roundabouts junctions etc. when you don't need that initial delay.
r
Andrew

sgould

• Aerobic
  • SST paid up supporter
  • Overboost
  • Number of thanks: 345
  • 2006 9-5 Aero estate - Hirsched.
    • View Profile
    • Christine Bennett - soprano
« Reply #5 on: 30 June 2011, 01:58:02 PM »
I use the M1 manual method too for pulling out of junctions, but our Saabs are both petrol autos.  So it looks like a common problem (or is it a feature? ;) )
Help support SaabTechTalk by making a Lump Sum donation or by opening a subscription. 
Options available are in your Profile/Actions.

craig

• Saabisti
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 30 June 2011, 04:10:40 PM »
This might be slightly off topic, but is there a way of finding out what the software version is loaded onto the car, via the instrument panel info display maybe? and does any one know what the latest software version is, that's available from the dealer?

Thanks,
C

phoenix

• SaabTechTalk-Team
  • Test pilot
  • Number of thanks: 108
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 30 June 2011, 04:59:23 PM »
I haven't driven the auto box but I have noticed on the manual versions of the diesel it bogs down very easily on take off- you've got to give it more revs than you would expect to get a decent amount of torque.

Saabman

• SaabTechTalk Team
  • LPT
  • Number of thanks: 20
  • 9-3 Aero
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 30 June 2011, 06:41:25 PM »
Not just Saab, most Turbo diesels do feel very gutless until the turbo spools up then they tend to fly, I think if you try and set off and wait for the turbo to spool you may get a bit of lag just like inferior petrol cars of past  ;)

AL900S

• Airflow
  • Number of thanks: 2
  • MY07 9-3 SC vector
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 01 July 2011, 07:31:52 PM »
This is typical diesel auto. My mates X5 twin turbo diesel auto (330 bhp remap) does it. Stamp on the accelerator from a standing start and it feels like a '76 Sherpa van lol...still it soon livens up a bit  :)

Guyver1

• LPT
  • Number of thanks: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 04 July 2011, 06:36:40 PM »
Not sure if this is the same thing, but on my last car (Signum 3.0V6 TDi) it had a learning auto box which would put the car into a false neutral when stationary for a set time, when you went to pull away it would be a little sluggish unless I put it into the manual setting then it was fine.