Author Topic: Sat nav upgrade to saab 93 2003-2006  (Read 6312 times)

Mrqng78

• Linear
  • Number of thanks: 0
  • Saab 93 linear.
    • View Profile
Sat nav upgrade to saab 93 2003-2006
« on: 02 June 2019, 10:42:52 AM »
Has anyone done this upgrade, from ICM 1 to ICM 3 sat nav.

aerojon

• Turbo
  • Number of thanks: 27
    • View Profile
Re: Sat nav upgrade to saab 93 2003-2006
« Reply #1 on: 02 June 2019, 06:23:21 PM »
the sat nav is more than just the icm3..i know a few owners who have upgraded to the icm 3 to make the dash look better..

Mrqng78

• Linear
  • Saab 93 linear.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 03 June 2019, 02:43:51 AM »
Yeah i know it involves more than just having icm3. I have a list of equipment which i already have, dvd player, boot cradle, fibre optics, piggy back fuse to tap power from REC, i don't intend to use the Sat nav position equipment, cos i think the only function it has is to provide GPS signalto EHU, which can be done by connecting and extra GPS ariel to the EHU.
I'm trying to figure out if any extra wiring is required.

sgould

• Aerobic
  • SST paid up supporter
  • Overboost
  • Number of thanks: 345
  • 2006 9-5 Aero estate - Hirsched.
    • View Profile
    • Christine Bennett - soprano
« Reply #3 on: 03 June 2019, 04:29:15 PM »
The only wiring is to the extra units which need power. The info is transmitted via the optic fibre loop. The aerial will be powered ththrogh the aerial feed. It’s called “phantom power”.
Help support SaabTechTalk by making a Lump Sum donation or by opening a subscription. 
Options available are in your Profile/Actions.

aerojon

• Turbo
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 03 June 2019, 06:25:11 PM »
there is no connection on the ehu for a gps aerial,as the gps information is provided to the icm3 via the telematics box via the optical feed..why do you need to tap power from the rec..

Mrqng78

• Linear
  • Saab 93 linear.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 03 June 2019, 10:44:12 PM »
The only wiring is to the extra units which need power. The info is transmitted via the optic fibre loop. The aerial will be powered ththrogh the aerial feed. It’s called “phantom power”.

Exactly my thinking sgould, that information and sound is passed through fibre optic cables. Fire on i will.

Thanks

Mrqng78

• Linear
  • Saab 93 linear.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 03 June 2019, 11:01:36 PM »
there is no connection on the ehu for a gps aerial,as the gps information is provided to the icm3 via the telematics box via the optical feed..why do you need to tap power from the rec..

Thanks aerojon, my saab did not come with a telematic equipment, neither did it come with amp1 and amp2 therefore it doesn't have the electrical connector /plug needed to power the units in the boot, i have sourced an electrical connector for my amp2, but i don't have to run cables all the way from front to back, hence why i want to tap from the REC.

On the issue of GPS was thinking of replacing the aerial with a GPS attena instead.

Saab should have made the icm 3 with a GPS, since my model didn't come with telematic.

Regards
Reginald.

sgould

• Aerobic
  • SST paid up supporter
  • Overboost
  • Number of thanks: 345
  • 2006 9-5 Aero estate - Hirsched.
    • View Profile
    • Christine Bennett - soprano
« Reply #7 on: 07 June 2019, 05:09:38 PM »
ICM3 is just the display screen and control panel. There is no satnav function or satnav electronics in the ICM3, so no point in having a GPS aerial connection. The map DVD and the rest of the important stuff is in the boot.  The GPS aerial on the roof connects to those.  That's what it needs to feed.
Help support SaabTechTalk by making a Lump Sum donation or by opening a subscription. 
Options available are in your Profile/Actions.

Mrqng78

• Linear
  • Saab 93 linear.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 26 June 2019, 03:28:10 AM »
Hi Sgould, i beg to differ on that, there's a function in the icm3 that tells the dvd what to display, such as guidance routes and directions between two points. In my opinion the icm3 should be able to display maps and guide without the GPS, because the maps are already loaded in the dvd disc, so the GPS with respect to sat nav is just for updates or getting information about new routes that wasn't installed in the dvd player at the time of manufacture.
I have been able to source for new electrical connectors and housing to fit the units in the boot from Sweden.
I'll concentrate on the amp2 upgrade whilst i wait for the arrival of the connectors.

aerojon

• Turbo
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 26 June 2019, 06:32:28 PM »
Hi Sgould, i beg to differ on that, there's a function in the icm3 that tells the dvd what to display, such as guidance routes and directions between two points. In my opinion the icm3 should be able to display maps and guide without the GPS, because the maps are already loaded in the dvd disc, so the GPS with respect to sat nav is just for updates or getting information about new routes that wasn't installed in the dvd player at the time of manufacture.

You're wrong the system isn't that advanced,there are no updates to the system via gps,and it needs the gps signal to tell the system where you are so it can display the correct map location on the screen..

Mrqng78

• Linear
  • Saab 93 linear.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 26 June 2019, 10:49:21 PM »
Well, seeing is believing, I'll see it when i get there. What i don't get is why saab made the GPS aerial in a separate equipment in the generation that did not come with a telephone/hands free module, they should have put it in the dvd player. I also wonder how much they saved by not completing the fibre optic at the head unit like bmw, merc and audi.

Mrqng78

• Linear
  • Saab 93 linear.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 06 July 2019, 11:24:06 AM »

You're wrong the system isn't that advanced,there are no updates to the system via gps,and it needs the gps signal to tell the system where you are so it can display the correct map location on the screen..

Aerojon, if you look at the connections behind the Sat nav position equipment, there's really nothing there that the
head unit cannot do, fibre optic, mic, ground and power, all these can be incorporated into the head unit and savings would have been made on wiring and equipment. The basic trim won't come with GPS antenna, the Sat nav trim would come with both GPS and aerial antenna.
That's where i was heading to.

aerojon

• Turbo
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 08 July 2019, 06:12:25 PM »
What you see in the dash is the control panel the actual ehu is located behind the mcc/acc panel..

Mrqng78

• Linear
  • Saab 93 linear.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 09 July 2019, 09:29:47 PM »
What you see in the dash is the control panel the actual ehu is located behind the mcc/acc panel..
I know, my point is the EHU can accommodate what the separate sat nav position equipment will do, even the dvd player could have easily incorporated what the Sat nav position equipment is for, i think it's just a waste of money and time having a sat nav position equipment.

Mrqng78

• Linear
  • Saab 93 linear.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 25 July 2019, 11:29:16 AM »
ICM3 is just the display screen and control panel. There is no satnav function or satnav electronics in the ICM3, so no point in having a GPS aerial connection. The map DVD and the rest of the important stuff is in the boot.  The GPS aerial on the roof connects to those.  That's what it needs to feed.

All connectors for DVD sat nav have arrived, tested power working Ok from REC, DVD receives and ejects perfectly, just waiting on latest dvd disc to arrive and probably buy a tech 2 and then the adding game begins.