Author Topic: Anyone used one of these before?  (Read 2332 times)

Steve McF

• Viggen
  • Number of thanks: 10
  • 9-5 2.0LPT.....as was, and now 9-3ss 2.0T Aero :)
    • View Profile
Anyone used one of these before?
« on: 17 July 2018, 10:43:03 PM »
I treated myself to one of these automotive electronic stethoscopes!!

We use something similar (but far more expensive) at work, but they are a useful tool for investigating strange noises that make their way into the cabin, but which might be due to things vibrating, or pulsing against the bulkhead, like hoses or harnesses.

I get some ticky noises at idle that you can't hear outside the car at all, and we have seen similar things at work, and traced them to fuel pipes that are clipped to the bulkhead, or fouling other things that are in contact with the bulkhead.

I'll have to get my probe out.....careful now :D

sgould

• Aerobic
  • SST paid up supporter
  • Overboost
  • Number of thanks: 345
  • 2006 9-5 Aero estate - Hirsched.
    • View Profile
    • Christine Bennett - soprano
Re: Anyone used one of these before?
« Reply #1 on: 18 July 2018, 12:12:07 AM »
I still have a cheap plastic version somewhere.  It must be nearly 50 years old.  I expect that the tubes will be "a bit sticky" now... :o
Help support SaabTechTalk by making a Lump Sum donation or by opening a subscription. 
Options available are in your Profile/Actions.

Steve McF

• Viggen
  • Number of thanks: 10
  • 9-5 2.0LPT.....as was, and now 9-3ss 2.0T Aero :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 18 July 2018, 07:48:33 AM »
Yes, we have the traditional type of stethoscope with a probe attachment at work. Years ago, they issued everyone in our dept with one.

Works just as well :)

Max Headroom

• SaabTechTalk Team
  • Viggen
  • Number of thanks: 62
  • 2006 93 TiD Convertible. Cotswolds, England
    • View Profile
    • Combat Stress
« Reply #3 on: 19 July 2018, 06:10:09 PM »

I just used a screwdriver - place the tip of the screwdriver at various points on the engine and place ear on the end of the screwdriver handle; not comfortable but works reasonably well.
I found this accurate enough to locate which tappets needed adjusting on a 4cyl engine.

Out of interest, a friend of mine whom is profoundly deaf through a serious illness in his teenage years, tunes his MG Y-type by feel!