Author Topic: Engine mounts- life  (Read 2620 times)

Steve McF

• Viggen
  • Number of thanks: 10
  • 9-5 2.0LPT.....as was, and now 9-3ss 2.0T Aero :)
    • View Profile
Engine mounts- life
« on: 12 June 2018, 08:23:21 AM »
Just wondered - what is the expected life of engine mounts?

I don't think I have ever replaced an engine mount on any car I have ever had, but was thinking that if they do start to fail, what are the symptoms and what is the cost/ease of replacing them?

Audax

• SaabTechTalk Team
  • Wide open throttle
  • Number of thanks: 207
    • View Profile
Re: Engine mounts- life
« Reply #1 on: 13 June 2018, 11:42:22 AM »
Expected life time of an engine mount is the life of the car. If they fail then you will get vibrations transmitted into the cabin and possibly poor handling and gear change problems.

Max Headroom

• SaabTechTalk Team
  • Viggen
  • Number of thanks: 62
  • 2006 93 TiD Convertible. Cotswolds, England
    • View Profile
    • Combat Stress
« Reply #2 on: 14 June 2018, 09:46:47 PM »

I changed the rubber engine mounts on my MG Midget when I rebuilt the engine some twenty years ago. Looking at them now they look in dire need of replacing again!  ::) Different car, I know but...

Steve McF

• Viggen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 14 June 2018, 10:02:22 PM »
I just wondered because rubber does wear out, harden, crack etc. It's been a while since I've had a car as old as my 9-3, and I'm steadily going to be renewing things as and when I think of them (and think they need doing ;) )

Audax

• SaabTechTalk Team
  • Wide open throttle
  • Number of thanks: 207
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 15 June 2018, 06:40:49 AM »
I changed the rubber engine mounts on my MG Midget when I rebuilt the engine some twenty years ago. Looking at them now they look in dire need of replacing again!  ::) Different car, I know but...

Twenty years is about the expected lifetime of a car (well, actually longer than expected I'd say) so not surprising they need doing again at that age. ;) Saab seemed to use high quality long life materials for things like engine mounts so they are uncommon to need replacing but who knows what will start to fail at the 20 year mark on the 9-3, we have another 4-5 years to find out.

Steve McF

• Viggen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 15 June 2018, 11:46:22 PM »
My concern is not mounts - it's chain guides and chains first...oh and may be turbo!! :o