Author Topic: 9-3 brake disc change  (Read 3162 times)

BMW4LifeNate

• Airflow
  • Number of thanks: 1
    • View Profile
9-3 brake disc change
« on: 18 September 2018, 09:54:46 AM »
Hi all!

I am new to this forum and am in need of some advice.

About two months ago I got myself a 2006 SAAB 9-3 SS 2.0T Vector AT and recently found out that I need to replace brake discs (as well as pads) front and rear. To the best of my knowledge, my front brake discs are 302mm in diameter, 28mm thick, and are ventilated. My rear brake discs are 292mm in diameter, 20mm thick and are also ventilated.

I understand that (being in South Africa) my question is coming from pretty far across the pond, but what I am looking for specifically is advice on the types of brake discs and pads that I could use which would fit these specifications. As far as I know, the current discs and pads on the car are meant for an Opel (Vauxhall) Astra OPC (I am assuming of the same model year). Should I be looking for discs and pads made specifically for the 9-3, or am I able to install discs and pads from any manufacturer that fits the specifications of my current set? 

To date I have been quoted on a set of Metelli discs and pads (Italian, I know little to nothing about them and cannot find reviews of their products for the life of me) which is just too expensive at the moment. Are there any specific brands for discs and pads that you (the forum members at large) would recommend?

Nate

sgould

• Aerobic
  • SST paid up supporter
  • Overboost
  • Number of thanks: 345
  • 2006 9-5 Aero estate - Hirsched.
    • View Profile
    • Christine Bennett - soprano
Re: 9-3 brake disc change
« Reply #1 on: 18 September 2018, 04:56:33 PM »
Welcome! :)

If your brakes are still the same size as fitted when the car left the factory, you may be able to check the size by looking at the VIN plate at the bottom of the middle door pillar.  There's a row of codes along the bottom.  From around 2005, Saab added brake codes.   If you have 10 codes along the bottom, the front brake disc size is the 7th code along.

There's a decode here http://www.saabtechtalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=379.0

If you don't find a brake code (early cars only have the first six codes for the suspension) you could try putting you VIN number in the box, top left, at www.thesaabsite.com  This will reveal the full factory specification.  Don't forget to look at the "Additional Details" as well.

Once you have a size, check prices of known brands like Saab OE, Pagid, Brembo,etc.

Bill Jones in the UK is a good supplier of Saab parts.  Check his site at www.saabits.com  He ships worldwide.  He is good for Brembo, but he is also the UK supplier of HEL braided brake hoses.
Help support SaabTechTalk by making a Lump Sum donation or by opening a subscription. 
Options available are in your Profile/Actions.

BMW4LifeNate

• Airflow
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 26 September 2018, 07:43:11 AM »
Hi there sgould.

I'm sorry for the delay in my reply, I've been rather busy as of late :-\

Thank you for all the info that you gave me, I really appreciate it. SAAB parts are incredibly difficult to source in this country (something I knew in the back of my mind when getting the car, but just conveniently ignored) so any reliable source for parts is appreciated.

Just to give you an update: I eventually ended up having the brakes changed at a Bosch service centre, using Alfa and Ferrodo brake discs (both local manufacturers) with Bosch QuietCast pads front and rear. Ended up costing me around 460 GBP (ouch).

Have a great day!

-Nate
« Last Edit: 26 September 2018, 08:26:29 AM by BMW4LifeNate »

Steve McF

• Viggen
  • Number of thanks: 10
  • 9-5 2.0LPT.....as was, and now 9-3ss 2.0T Aero :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 26 September 2018, 09:40:33 AM »
Hi Nate,

I have a 56 reg Aero with worn (but still working discs) all round. The car went through the MOT without needing new discs yet, but as I was hoping to eventually get the car remapped, I thought I'd look at getting 314mm front discs that were fitted to early Aeros (and I think V6 Aeros). I bought genuine 314mm front discs, 314mm front back plates (as the 302mm ones don't fit, although you can cut them, or take them off from what I've read), standard rear discs, and Brembo pads all round. All this stuff I got from Saabits.com, who are excellent.

I'd also got some second hand 314mm front brake calipers, taken off an earlier Aero which was being broken for spares. I have since sent these off to biggred.co.uk who have refurbed them with new seals, pistons and a new electroplated paint finish.

All parts now stored, waiting for the time they need to go on the car :)

BMW4LifeNate

• Airflow
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 26 September 2018, 01:35:14 PM »
Hi Steve,

I will admit, I did browse around online for brake kits for my 9-3 (quite honestly, I wasn't sure that I knew enough about the needed parts to actually go and source them myself locally), but unfortunately (due to our terrible ZAR/USD and ZAR/GBP exchange rate) it just wouldn't have been worth sourcing myself in terms of cost. The cost of shipping from international retailers doesn't help matters either.

-Nate

Steve McF

• Viggen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 26 September 2018, 04:06:57 PM »
Hi Nate,

where are you based then?

And I take it that your forum name on here is not strictly true, as you have invested in a Saab? ;) :D  :D

BMW4LifeNate

• Airflow
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 26 September 2018, 09:28:32 PM »
Hi again Steve :)

I'm based in (currently too hot) South Africa.

As for the forum name - I have come to my senses recently as far as my taste in cars are concerned. I used to think that BMW/Volvo were the be-all and end-all, until I actually test drove my (current) 9-3.

-Nate

Steve McF

• Viggen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 27 September 2018, 07:31:36 AM »
 ;) Saab4Life now then? :D ;)