Author Topic: Shark fin antenna improvement!!!  (Read 1340 times)

Steve McF

• Viggen
  • Number of thanks: 10
  • 9-5 2.0LPT.....as was, and now 9-3ss 2.0T Aero :)
    • View Profile
Shark fin antenna improvement!!!
« on: 21 November 2023, 06:02:17 PM »
Well it hasn't happened yet, but I've taken the first step, buying the dummy cover that fits over your existing perished antenna without having to cut all the rubber off first.

You clean up the rubber, and glue this cover over the top. I got it from the Partsforsaabs Ebay page, because it was cheaper than getting it on their website and paying the postage!! And I have to say, it fits very snuggly and securely. Those guys have done a good job.

Now I need to find a suitable glue......

ScarbSaab

• SST paid up supporter
  • LPT
  • Number of thanks: 14
  • 04 9-5 Aero Estate, 08 9-5 Aero Saloon
    • View Profile
Re: Shark fin antenna improvement!!!
« Reply #1 on: 21 November 2023, 07:48:06 PM »
I like! Are you keeping it as is or will you spray it first for a smoother finish?

sgould

• Aerobic
  • SST paid up supporter
  • Overboost
  • Number of thanks: 345
  • 2006 9-5 Aero estate - Hirsched.
    • View Profile
    • Christine Bennett - soprano
« Reply #2 on: 21 November 2023, 07:58:30 PM »
For glue, I have had success with the original Gorilla glue.  More lately with the clear version.  It needs a slightly damp surface to work best.

https://uk.gorillaglue.com/gorilla-glue-clear/
Help support SaabTechTalk by making a Lump Sum donation or by opening a subscription. 
Options available are in your Profile/Actions.

Steve McF

• Viggen
  • Number of thanks: 10
  • 9-5 2.0LPT.....as was, and now 9-3ss 2.0T Aero :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 21 November 2023, 08:26:35 PM »
I like! Are you keeping it as is or will you spray it first for a smoother finish?

That's a very good point, because it is a sort of matt finish, and I did wonder if I should spray it with some Saab 170 black paint, or if it could just be lacquered? Not really sure.

What would be the best way to paint this, and would it need some sort of primer first?

For glue, I have had success with the original Gorilla glue.  More lately with the clear version.  It needs a slightly damp surface to work best.

https://uk.gorillaglue.com/gorilla-glue-clear/

Thanks Will, is that OK to use on the plastic?

sgould

• Aerobic
  • SST paid up supporter
  • Overboost
  • Number of thanks: 345
  • 2006 9-5 Aero estate - Hirsched.
    • View Profile
    • Christine Bennett - soprano
« Reply #4 on: 21 November 2023, 08:58:35 PM »
I've used it on different things.  The last thing I did was to stick loose plastic Saab emblems back onto plastic base on the wheel centre caps.  I've found it better than Araldite epoxy on some other stuff, although my epoxy might be past its best as I've had it a long time.
Help support SaabTechTalk by making a Lump Sum donation or by opening a subscription. 
Options available are in your Profile/Actions.