Author Topic: Which ones to consider?  (Read 5227 times)

Steve McF

• Viggen
  • Number of thanks: 10
  • 9-5 2.0LPT.....as was, and now 9-3ss 2.0T Aero :)
    • View Profile
Which ones to consider?
« on: 07 October 2021, 01:55:17 PM »
The NG 9-5 intigues me, and I have this nagging feeling that I'd like one one day. But, heart says petrol and head says diesel.

There are far far more diesels being advertised than petrols, so I wondered what would represent a good buy from a running cost, reliability, and value perspective.

I don't do many miles a year, so a diesel with DPF sounds a risky option, but there are so many about...... I've also heard that the petrols have their own problems.

sgould

• Aerobic
  • SST paid up supporter
  • Overboost
  • Number of thanks: 345
  • 2006 9-5 Aero estate - Hirsched.
    • View Profile
    • Christine Bennett - soprano
Re: Which ones to consider?
« Reply #1 on: 07 October 2021, 03:25:29 PM »
I bought my last two Saabs from Mark Arnold in Gloucestershire (he's retired now...).  He had been selling Saabs for many years.  He told me that he stopped selling 2.0 petrol NG9-5 because of the timing chain issue.  The V6 is OK though.  There's also a 1.6 petrol turbo, but I've never seen one.
Help support SaabTechTalk by making a Lump Sum donation or by opening a subscription. 
Options available are in your Profile/Actions.

sgould

• Aerobic
  • SST paid up supporter
  • Overboost
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 07 October 2021, 04:31:47 PM »
And...

I did look at buying one back when they were fairly young, but the width put me off.  We have several 6'-6" wide width restrictions around here, and the NG9-5 is 6'-11" wide, with the door mirrors out.
Help support SaabTechTalk by making a Lump Sum donation or by opening a subscription. 

Steve McF

• Viggen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 07 October 2021, 07:47:10 PM »
I think the 1.6T has higher road tax than the diesels!!!

wrighar

• SaabTechTalk Team
  • High Output Turbo
  • Number of thanks: 15
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 07 October 2021, 09:06:01 PM »
I think I'd be looking at

1.  TTid Aero (2wd)  190bhp
2.  V6 Aero  280bhp? (auto only)
3.  2.0T Aero  220bhp

welshwizard

• Vector
  • Number of thanks: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 08 October 2021, 04:26:50 PM »
By far the most common variant in the UK is the 160PS TiD Vector SE model.

The one that was initially panned by the press, later ones with the 18" wheels were improved.

2.0T and 2.8 have reported chain issues that can apparently go from anywhere between 30K and 120K - I am at 70k know and when I ask the dealers to check mine at service I get told 'within normal parameters'!

One thing to be aware of is that although Aeros are the 'higher' trim level (V6 available only on Aero,  but no TiD) there are plenty of poverty spec Aeros around and plenty of well-equipped Vectors on the road.  You will see Vectors with Navigation and HUD plus other stuff, and Aeros with Green screen and no HUD.  Audio varies - mine does not have DAB or the HK gubbins so sound is inferior to the HK equipped OG 9-5s.  Standard navigation is forgetful and defaults to Belgium, there is a software fix but dealers are reluctant to install it...

In terms of looks the Aero is better looking with the 19" wheels and trapezoidal exposed exhaust tips... opinion varies on Turbines or Edge style alloys.

If you have an NG 9-5 itch I suggest you scratch it, personally I'd get an Aero with any of the engine options - if TTiD/Turbo4 get the FWD to avoid issues with the Haldex XWD system.

Steve McF

• Viggen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 08 October 2021, 08:04:15 PM »
the other thing of course was whether a lower spec car can be upspecced with bits from other breaker cars??

welshwizard

• Vector
  • Number of thanks: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 14 October 2021, 05:06:17 PM »
interiors, yes.  Bumpers from Aeros onto Vectors - tricky as Aeros were rarer.  In terms of wheels, the 17" Blades are common, Carves and Turbines rare, and the Edges rare and pricey due to their desirability.

I think when you have the parts it's easier to replace than the 2003-2007 9-3.

sgould

• Aerobic
  • SST paid up supporter
  • Overboost
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 18 October 2021, 01:28:28 PM »
This is why an NG 9-5 is not practical around here. 

This one is between me and the Yellow Box store when I keep all the stuff I never use - and pay far more than it's worth to keep it there... :o   

I have to fold the wing mirrors in in the current 9-5.  It doesn't stop anything, the big stuff just drives through the bus only lane in the middle.

https://fb.watch/8J8bvz4MMb/

Steve McF

• Viggen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 18 October 2021, 05:52:48 PM »
Shame you can't see exactly what the cars are hitting.

sgould

• Aerobic
  • SST paid up supporter
  • Overboost
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 18 October 2021, 07:52:58 PM »
It's a width restriction, but there are three in a row, so it's not a traditional width restriction, it's a narrow corridor.  If you don't approach it exactly right, you are likely to be stuck.  If you go in at a slight angle and straighten up to avoid the second pole, you are likely to catch the rear wing on the first pole.

Here's the Goole Streetview of the site.