Author Topic: Home air compressor for tyres  (Read 4050 times)

Steve McF

• Viggen
  • Number of thanks: 10
  • 9-5 2.0LPT.....as was, and now 9-3ss 2.0T Aero :)
    • View Profile
Home air compressor for tyres
« on: 17 October 2021, 07:52:25 PM »
Hi all. I am thinking of getting an air compressor to have in the garage so I can check and pump up the tyres at home. Some years ago, I bought a 12V one to keep in the car, but it is horrendously slow to pump the tyres up.

So I was interested to get a 240V mains powered one that I could have in the garage and pump my own tyres up as required.

Has anyone got one that they would recommend?

welshwizard

• Vector
  • Number of thanks: 2
    • View Profile
Re: Home air compressor for tyres
« Reply #1 on: 09 December 2021, 12:19:52 PM »
Our 12V was slow and noisy, and was only disposed of because the end that plugs into the car disintegrated.

If you have a car with Tyrepal tyre pressure monitors, that is something to bear in mind - check that the business end of the compressor (that plugs into the tyre valve) can sit properly.  I can't use the Sainsbury's air because the pump won't fit onto the valve properly...  Not a problem at home but when there is a queue at the Sainsbury's petrol station for the pump and you have to remove each sensor it is a hassle...

sgould

• Aerobic
  • SST paid up supporter
  • Overboost
  • Number of thanks: 345
  • 2006 9-5 Aero estate - Hirsched.
    • View Profile
    • Christine Bennett - soprano
« Reply #2 on: 09 December 2021, 02:30:37 PM »
I have Tyrepal.  Checking the pressure is a bit of a faff.  You have to remove the caps.  The old system had grub screws.  The later one has locking nuts and a rubber shroud, both of which have to come off to use my home Michelin branded pump.
Help support SaabTechTalk by making a Lump Sum donation or by opening a subscription. 
Options available are in your Profile/Actions.

Steve McF

• Viggen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 12 December 2021, 10:57:52 AM »
Not sure my car has these Tyrepal sensor things. I don't have standard Aero alloys on mine though, but I'm not aware of anywhere in the car where I can see what the tyre pressures are, so assume this is a facelift 9-3 feature?

sgould

• Aerobic
  • SST paid up supporter
  • Overboost
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 12 December 2021, 12:11:31 PM »
There are two different systems.  On the later cars there was the option of the Tyre Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS) which involves special valves with a sensor inside the wheel and a monitor unit in the engine compartment which communicates with the wheel sensors by wi-fi/bluetooth, or something.  This is not a realistic aftermarket fit. The system beeps and puts warning messages on the dashboard if the pressure drops, but you can't see the actual pressure. That's only available with a Tech2.

The "Tyrepal" system  is aftermarket only. The one which I have on the 9-5, and the Carlsson winter wheels, uses sensors built into replacement valve caps that fit outside the car. I've used them for several years now - at least 10 years - and they work well.  There's a small unit that sits on the dashboard that shows the pressures, and you can set a low and high pressure value at which the system starts flashing and beeping as a warning.  It can also warn against high temperatures.

Both systems will also warn if the pressure drops quickly.

This is the latest Tyrepal system. The basic system comes with four valve sensors. You can get extra sensors for the spare wheel and also for a trailer or caravan.

https://www.tyrepal.co.uk/product/kit-brand-new-solar-colour-pro-monitor-4-tcso-sensors/

There are frequent offers around which bring the price below £100.
Help support SaabTechTalk by making a Lump Sum donation or by opening a subscription. 

Steve McF

• Viggen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 09 March 2022, 01:11:00 PM »
still not had any luck finding a mains powered one....... :-\

sgould

• Aerobic
  • SST paid up supporter
  • Overboost
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 09 March 2022, 05:49:32 PM »
Is this one that would do?

https://www.halfords.com/tools/garage-equipment/tyre-inflators-and-pressure-gauges/michelin-240v-superfast-4x4%2Fsuv-digital-tyre-inflator-847167.html

Most are 12v and run off the car.  There are also a load of bits that run off big batteries - 18v or 54v - I have a few DeWalt 18v  tools, but only one charger and two batteries.  System works well.

Like this https://www.screwfix.com/p/dewalt-dcc018n-xj-18v-li-ion-xr-cordless-inflator-bare/567kj  But Ryobi and Milwaukee are similar systems and probably cheaper.

aerojon

• Turbo
  • Number of thanks: 27
    • View Profile

Steve McF

• Viggen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 10 March 2022, 10:59:46 AM »
Thanks Guys! Just had a look at the reviews for them, and although the headline scores look good, some of the comments have a common theme :o Tripping out, smell of burning etc in just over a year or less :o

Will keep looking around - again, as with everything, I am not in a rush to get one!!!!

phoenix

• SaabTechTalk-Team
  • Test pilot
  • Number of thanks: 108
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 10 March 2022, 07:25:46 PM »
I've been quite happy with 12V ones. Start the car to run them. The latest one from Ring also comes with a bluetooth app so that if you have more than one car (with different pressures) you simply select it from the app rather than having to read/remember what the pressures are.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Ring-Automotive-RTC650BT-Compressor-Smart-RTC650BT/dp/B08Q8PHFJ5/ref=asc_df_B08Q8PHFJ5/?tag=googshopuk-21&linkCode=df0&hvadid=499333735334&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=4179548655391482413&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=1006868&hvtargid=pla-1185515602036&psc=1&th=1&psc=1

Geoff1951

• SST paid up supporter
  • Test pilot
  • Number of thanks: 22
  • Sadly Saabless, but with a new mistress.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 10 March 2022, 09:40:52 PM »
I'm with phoenix.  For the cost involved, a 12v one is fine. Youy're only going to be topping up by a couple of psi, if that, so time shouldn't be an issue.  There's a couple of group tests on the Auto Express website.   Ring and Michelin get good scores.  Accuracy is a big thing.

Audax

• SaabTechTalk Team
  • Wide open throttle
  • Number of thanks: 207
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 11 March 2022, 09:45:28 AM »
The 12V one I use to keep tyres topped up doesn't take long at all, there's more time spent digging it out of the boot and plugging it in removing valve caps and screwing it on to valves than it spends pumping air.

Unless you're fitting tyres I don't see why you'd need a mains compressor for home use, they tend to need a fair amount of maintenance too. I have a RING RAC600 which I bought at the end of 2013 for £24.99, it appears it has been discontinued and replaced by the RING RAC601 which is £22.53 shipped from amazon with prime.