Author Topic: Supporting the electric seat controls  (Read 2210 times)

ScarbSaab

• SST paid up supporter
  • LPT
  • Number of thanks: 14
  • 04 9-5 Aero Estate, 08 9-5 Aero Saloon
    • View Profile
Supporting the electric seat controls
« on: 27 April 2021, 09:43:17 PM »
My time spent fixing the housing for the driver's seat controls has been undone. My wife came back from work yesterday and said she must have broken it originally. The tale was she got out of the car at work and with her short legs and hip operation she had to slide off the seat to reach the ground, and heard a crack from the plastic. The controls now flap about again...

I'm not hopeful of a solution, but does anyone have ideas for how I could fix the seat controls so they can cope with a grown woman sliding over them?

sgould

• Aerobic
  • SST paid up supporter
  • Overboost
  • Number of thanks: 345
  • 2006 9-5 Aero estate - Hirsched.
    • View Profile
    • Christine Bennett - soprano
Re: Supporting the electric seat controls
« Reply #1 on: 27 April 2021, 10:23:22 PM »
they all seem to break.  I have given up and just leave the panel lying there.  But I do have the memory driver's seat, so I only have to reach the buttons on top, normally.  I had been thinking of removing the switches from the panel and mounting them separately, somewhere. But I haven't thought it through in detail.
Help support SaabTechTalk by making a Lump Sum donation or by opening a subscription. 
Options available are in your Profile/Actions.

ScarbSaab

• SST paid up supporter
  • LPT
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 01 May 2021, 05:26:28 PM »
Thank you for the response. I have been bouncing some ideas around, but rejected most of them as potentially hazards in the event of an accident. I'm still thinking about lowering the controls - so out of the firing line - but need to work through the details.

David

• Turbo
  • Number of thanks: 13
  • Great Western Saabs
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 04 May 2021, 01:14:42 PM »
Assuming this is a 9-5, I had the same problem.
So I removed the part, glued it back together then applied some GRP reinforcement to the back side, which causes it to flex, but not snap. HTH

sgould

• Aerobic
  • SST paid up supporter
  • Overboost
  • Number of thanks: 345
  • 2006 9-5 Aero estate - Hirsched.
    • View Profile
    • Christine Bennett - soprano
« Reply #4 on: 04 May 2021, 02:15:18 PM »
It's posted in the 9-5 section! ;)

I wondered if I could fix it with some rubber tube over the break, so it flexes.  The issue is that the seat compresses below the top of the plastic trim when you sit on the side of the seat when getting in and out.  And with a slightly lowered car, I drop onto the seat a bit harder than I wold in a standard car.
Help support SaabTechTalk by making a Lump Sum donation or by opening a subscription. 
Options available are in your Profile/Actions.

carrera

• SaabTechTalk-Team
  • Test pilot
  • Number of thanks: 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 04 May 2021, 07:26:48 PM »
I think going for the bendy willow approach will be better than the make rigid approach, so it can snap again.

I suggest using just two fixing points

1. The rear one
2. The front one under the seat

You may use the plastic sleeve onto the metal plate as well, if the plastic has not already failed

Use an oversize washer to spread the load around the plastic at the front (or replace the missing plastic). You should find that you can get enough clamping force to keep the cover in place, but that it will deflect enough when shuffled over  ;)
9-5 Aero Estates, 2002 Cosmic Blue, 2003 Steel Grey, 2003 Graphite Green, 2004 9-5 Glacier Blue 2.0 saloon, 2004 Nocturne Blue 2.2 diesel estate, 2006 & 2008 Black Aero saloons, 1998 9000 CSE with Aero engine, 9-5 NG Aero XWD Turbo4, 9-5 NG Aero XWD TTiD

ScarbSaab

• SST paid up supporter
  • LPT
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 05 May 2021, 09:55:45 AM »
I was trying to stop the bendy willow as it bugs me.

I have it fastened on the rear rigid point and underneath the front (penny washer is a good idea, carrera!). I had also drilled through the reinforced plastic to add a tie wrap over the metal plate. (The top of the slot snapped long ago.) With this it doesn't as flop much as pre-repair.