Author Topic: Jalousie failure - again!  (Read 1337 times)

sgould

• Aerobic
  • SST paid up supporter
  • Overboost
  • Number of thanks: 345
  • 2006 9-5 Aero estate - Hirsched.
    • View Profile
    • Christine Bennett - soprano
Jalousie failure - again!
« on: 07 May 2021, 04:26:01 PM »
Well that was embarrassing!

I was backing out of a parking space at the supermarket.  I was most of the way out and blocking the traffic when I needed to go forwards again before reversing right out.  But the gear selector wouldn't move out of reverse!!  Looked down and found that the flexy blind (jalousie) had broken off and jammed on top of the bit that was left. it took a few seconds of frantic wobbling to free it so that I could move.

The blind had already broken earlier in the year, but only exposed a small hole at the back when in park, so I left it.  This time a further short bit broke off and turned sideway and jammed cornerwise across the slot. :(

The original blind was replaced at the end of October 2015 after nine years use.  This one broke earlier this year after six years.  At least I know how to fix it now.
Help support SaabTechTalk by making a Lump Sum donation or by opening a subscription. 
Options available are in your Profile/Actions.

ScarbSaab

• SST paid up supporter
  • LPT
  • Number of thanks: 14
  • 04 9-5 Aero Estate, 08 9-5 Aero Saloon
    • View Profile
Re: Jalousie failure - again!
« Reply #1 on: 08 May 2021, 09:08:00 AM »
I'm glad I finally got around to fitting the replacement then! I thought it might snag when it first broke. So far ours had not caused any problem, but my big worry was that sooner or later something would fall down the hole.

sgould

• Aerobic
  • SST paid up supporter
  • Overboost
  • Number of thanks: 345
  • 2006 9-5 Aero estate - Hirsched.
    • View Profile
    • Christine Bennett - soprano
Re: Jalousie failure - again!
« Reply #2 on: 08 May 2021, 10:16:09 AM »
I ordered a new blind, but I wonder if I could make a better one out of a sheet of EPDM reinforced gasket material that I have.
Help support SaabTechTalk by making a Lump Sum donation or by opening a subscription. 
Options available are in your Profile/Actions.