Author Topic: Cold icey weather - which car is best?  (Read 2905 times)

Steve McF

• Viggen
  • Number of thanks: 10
  • 9-5 2.0LPT.....as was, and now 9-3ss 2.0T Aero :)
    • View Profile
Cold icey weather - which car is best?
« on: 31 January 2019, 11:37:51 PM »
OK, so if it does get really icey and treacherous, and I have the choice of two cars to get me to work, which should I go for?

The 9-3ss 210bhp Aero with wide 18" wheels, or the trusty Peugeot 107 with narrow 13" or 14" wheels?

I've had the Saab about 13 months, and the 107 for about 8 years. Never had a problem with snow/ice in any car I've ever had :) But they've all been front wheel drive.

Not like those Jag and BMW drivers I've seen wheelspinning on the slush and going nowhere!!!

sgould

• Aerobic
  • SST paid up supporter
  • Overboost
  • Number of thanks: 345
  • 2006 9-5 Aero estate - Hirsched.
    • View Profile
    • Christine Bennett - soprano
Re: Cold icey weather - which car is best?
« Reply #1 on: 31 January 2019, 11:45:10 PM »
Get some winter tyres on the Peugeot.  They will be cheaper on that car, and being small and light you can use them all year round! :)  A good quality winter tyre like Nokian, Vredestein, or one of the premium brands will see you safe.

I went out in fresh snow just now to fetch SWMBO after a concert in the XWD Carlsson without the winter tyres and it was OK until I came to brake, when it was decidedly slidey.  I should have put the winter tyres on much earlier, but they are at the back of the shed which is full of  "stuff" from the house while the builders are working in the house...
Help support SaabTechTalk by making a Lump Sum donation or by opening a subscription. 
Options available are in your Profile/Actions.

sgould

• Aerobic
  • SST paid up supporter
  • Overboost
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 31 January 2019, 11:51:37 PM »
Winter tyres from www.mytyres.co.uk are about £40/£50 plus fitting. For the Peugeot.  Twice that for the Saab.
Help support SaabTechTalk by making a Lump Sum donation or by opening a subscription. 

fka

• Super Aero
  • Number of thanks: 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 01 February 2019, 12:11:46 AM »
Started snowing here a few hours ago for the first time this year. The Mrs may or may not take the car sideways to the supermarket tomorrow. And knowing South Western trains, I may or may not be going to work tomorrow  ;D

carrera

• SaabTechTalk-Team
  • Test pilot
  • Number of thanks: 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 01 February 2019, 09:59:51 PM »
Nice to see that the question immediately changed to which tyres are best  :)

I put the winter tyres on the blue car about 3 weeks ago, same on the Polo the OH uses.

I learnt the tyre lesson in Sweden in a 9000. Stupid Brit on summer tyres when the first snow fell in November, about 4". I thought I was handling the snow well on my way home from work, until a granny in a Saab 96 flew past me.

Winter tyres on the car 2 days later, what a transformation.
9-5 Aero Estates, 2002 Cosmic Blue, 2003 Steel Grey, 2003 Graphite Green, 2004 9-5 Glacier Blue 2.0 saloon, 2004 Nocturne Blue 2.2 diesel estate, 2006 & 2008 Black Aero saloons, 1998 9000 CSE with Aero engine, 9-5 NG Aero XWD Turbo4, 9-5 NG Aero XWD TTiD

sgould

• Aerobic
  • SST paid up supporter
  • Overboost
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 02 February 2019, 10:12:58 AM »
If you don't use winter tyres, the Peugeot will be best.  The tyres are lower speed rated and probably have "softer" rubber compounds, and so will be grippier in the cold, unless the tyres are very cheap budget ones.

On the other hand, if you hit unexpected ice and skid off the road, the Saab will be safer! :o

Max Headroom

• SaabTechTalk Team
  • Viggen
  • Number of thanks: 62
  • 2006 93 TiD Convertible. Cotswolds, England
    • View Profile
    • Combat Stress
« Reply #6 on: 09 February 2019, 07:02:38 PM »
Suzuki Jimny  ;D

Norfolk Jim

• SST paid up supporter
  • Viggen
  • Number of thanks: 27
  • No longer Saab now Nippon Express 4x4
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 18 February 2019, 09:28:42 AM »
Nissan X Trail with All weather tyres  ;)