Author Topic: Getting recorded programmes off an old Sky HD box  (Read 2687 times)

Steve McF

• Viggen
  • Number of thanks: 10
  • 9-5 2.0LPT.....as was, and now 9-3ss 2.0T Aero :)
    • View Profile
Getting recorded programmes off an old Sky HD box
« on: 12 November 2020, 10:19:03 PM »
We are in the process of moving house, and in the process will be changing our Sky subscription, which means we get a new Sky Q box, which is apparently not compatible with the old HD box we have.

We have stuff recorded on the HD box we wanted to keep to watch later. Is there any way we can copy the programme files onto something else? eg save them as wmv or mpeg files on our laptops, or external hard drives?

sgould

• Aerobic
  • SST paid up supporter
  • Overboost
  • Number of thanks: 345
  • 2006 9-5 Aero estate - Hirsched.
    • View Profile
    • Christine Bennett - soprano
Re: Getting recorded programmes off an old Sky HD box
« Reply #1 on: 12 November 2020, 11:48:43 PM »
It may not be compatible with the new aerial and signals, but does it have any other connector that could link it to your new box, just for transfer?

Maybe the Sky help line can offer advice?
Help support SaabTechTalk by making a Lump Sum donation or by opening a subscription. 
Options available are in your Profile/Actions.

Steve McF

• Viggen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 13 November 2020, 07:13:30 AM »
It was Sky who said they'd take our old box away and that it wouldn't work as a standalone box without being connected to the sky network.... :0

Geoff1951

• SST paid up supporter
  • Test pilot
  • Number of thanks: 22
  • Sadly Saabless, but with a new mistress.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 13 November 2020, 04:16:06 PM »
Following from Will's comment, can it connect directly to your TV with an HDMI lead, without bothering with aerial or internet connections? Worth a try.

On planet BT, I've had a similar issue when upgrading our BT boxes over the years, and had recordings on the redundant box that we wanted to keep. Recorded material can't be tansferred or converted to an accessible format on another storage medium, not even another box of the same type, something to do with both the file format and the OS software in the BT boxes.  The BT system will only recognise one box at a time connected to the outside world via internet/aerial, (well, it is sort of possible, but only by throwing money at BT)  but simply connecting our old box to the TV via HDMI still allowed access to the recorded programmes. In effect it was a bit like an "access only" external hard drive on a computer. We couldn't use the box to record or watch live TV, but we didn't need it for that anyway.

(BT ask for the old boxes back, but I've never done that.  Once they've served their purpose, I've taken the hard drives out, formatted them, and use for additional storage on my computer. You can never have enough terabytes.)

(If you haven't got enough HDMI sockets on your TV, to avoid having to plug/unplug each time, there are multi adapters widely and cheaply available.)

Any Sky boffins out there?

carrera

• SaabTechTalk-Team
  • Test pilot
  • Number of thanks: 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 14 November 2020, 02:31:12 PM »
You need a current subscription to play back recordings

A Sky Q box uses HDCP, pretty sure the HD box will too, so you need a way of permitting that and recording.

I have an arrangement that allows me to archive off Sky Q recordings, two bits of kit needed, probably about £100-£150 to acquire and a laptop. Platform independent too, so Virgin / BT OK

It's not a file transfer method, it's a real time re-record of the digital stream

PM me if you want to know more, real time is a bit of pain
9-5 Aero Estates, 2002 Cosmic Blue, 2003 Steel Grey, 2003 Graphite Green, 2004 9-5 Glacier Blue 2.0 saloon, 2004 Nocturne Blue 2.2 diesel estate, 2006 & 2008 Black Aero saloons, 1998 9000 CSE with Aero engine, 9-5 NG Aero XWD Turbo4, 9-5 NG Aero XWD TTiD

phoenix

• SaabTechTalk-Team
  • Test pilot
  • Number of thanks: 108
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 15 November 2020, 12:23:14 PM »
An HDMI splitter will remove the HDCP protection, the you can use a basics USB HDMI capture device but recording will be real time

weetabixface

• SST paid up supporter
  • Vector
  • Number of thanks: 0
  • '58 9-5 Aero Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 18 November 2020, 09:17:32 PM »
Have a look for expvr via your preferred search engine

It can extract *some* recordings to .TS/MPEG but only stuff that's not encrypted

You still need your sky sub to keep the encrypted stuff, have used expvr to port between sky+ boxes/drives but not Q

Steve McF

• Viggen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 26 February 2021, 06:23:44 PM »
Well I tried to connect the Sky box to my laptop, but regardless of which output I use from the Sky+ HD box, the laptop does not recognise it as an external drive. I thought there was a way you could plug something into the old sky box which would mean it would work without having to connect satellite cables. I thought it would at least work with the wireless connector box so that we could watch stuff recorded on the box (if not record anything new on it), but it seems not?
« Last Edit: 27 February 2021, 10:20:56 AM by Steve McF »