Author Topic: P1181 error code - long term air/fuel mix too lean - ideas?  (Read 26359 times)

jmblack

• Aero
  • Number of thanks: 9
  • 2006 2.3t vect est auto & 2009 tid TE est man
    • View Profile
Re: P1181 error code - long term air/fuel mix too lean - ideas?
« Reply #15 on: 22 May 2014, 09:49:51 PM »
Great guys - thanks.

Is it easy to do?

mikeloadsasaabs

• Aero
  • Number of thanks: 23
  • Was 9-5 Aero auto estate with Maptun Stage 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 23 May 2014, 09:22:22 AM »
Well, as I explained in my post, it's easier with two people as it is almost impossible to grip both "quick release"  ::) clips at the same time, with enough force to release. Get a second person to push down with a long screwdriver on the top one, while you lie underneath the car working the second (underneath) clip You'll need to get the car safely off the ground as far as you can so that you can get right underneath it. Access isn't too bad, visibility not great as you can't see properly when you have your hands in the bowels actually trying to release it! And threading the new hose through is easier done from underneath. Lastly, you'll need a new cable tie or similar to go round the rubber pipe that your valve is currently attached to, you'll probably need to cut the old one off. And make sure you are working on the correct connecter underneath the engine.

nine-fiver

• Aero
  • Number of thanks: 30
  • Hirsched
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 23 May 2014, 11:07:18 AM »
The PCV valve was always a culprit for breaking down, due to the hot oil vapour running through it. I have assumed mine is OK for ages, and it has dropped off the radar a bit when 'sludge' was the thing to worry about. Now it is a non issue and the PCV is all but forgotten these days. I'm checking tomorrow first thing! A cheap fix though and it keeps things running 'proper'.
Can the solenoid be bypassed easily, still not sure how to sort that one out for my Linear.

sgould

• Aerobic
  • SST paid up supporter
  • Overboost
  • Number of thanks: 345
  • 2006 9-5 Aero estate - Hirsched.
    • View Profile
    • Christine Bennett - soprano
« Reply #18 on: 23 May 2014, 10:45:16 PM »
The solenoid valve on the bulkhead with three pipes?  It only needs doing if it's broken.  If it's OK by-passing it will not improve response.

The pipe from the dump valve at the front is removed from the solenoid valve and taken directly to the inlet manifold.  Connect it by removing the pipe that goes to the solenoid valve. 

The third pipe goes to the throttle body. Cut this near the throttle body and block it in some way.  Bolt or clamp...
Help support SaabTechTalk by making a Lump Sum donation or by opening a subscription. 
Options available are in your Profile/Actions.

5XSaabOwner

• Saabisti
  • Number of thanks: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 06 May 2019, 02:16:29 PM »
Thought I'd just resurrect this thread as its on the same subject. Found this just at the back of the head where the DI cassette is:

It was disconnected and sucking air in. I pushed it on again and cleared code. All fine, but a very loose fit now a few questions:

1. The end of the valve looks awfully short. Is it likely it's broken off inside the hose?
2. What is it for?!
3. What is it called so I can order a replacement?
4.. Is it critical, or can I block it off?

Thanks!

Yep, I have the same broken valve issue. I used silicone in hopes f it holding as the bottom of the tube require lifting the car for access. Will have my indy replace next oil change